Who Else Having Fun When Stunned?

I have to say... I've been making cast when stunned builds for years in this game. But this league it's not only functional... it's more FUN than it's every been. Adrenaline and the new Recoup masteries are the new glue that hold this thing together and it's such a fun combat flow. Especially the way the Passives work which actually have counter-synergy for the build.

One group of passives requires you to gain stun immunity while casting. So... basically you have to shut up for minute and stop casting so that you can get your adrenaline and then start bursting with your main skill. But while you wait... you're also casting like a mad man from all the stunning... it's such a cool combat flow. I have to give GGG credit on this.
Last bumped on May 24, 2023, 11:56:25 AM
btw nobody mentioned this that I've seen but if you get some of those special jewels you can transform the duelist area of the tree into a caster area and then... you would regain 25% life whenever you are stunned because you also gain adrenaline on stun.

I would have done this myself except there is a strange counter synergy. If you actually pop his low life barrier during this... you'll lose the instant recovery for 20 seconds. So... the recovery would fail on you exactly at the least opprutune moments, in theory. Exactly when you are under the most pressure. So I decided not to go with that.

But I'm sure it would make a cool video if somebody does do it. I mean if it works since I haven't tested it for myself.

Oh yeah the other thing I was thinking was that you could by-pass the low life barrier by reserving your hp to 50 or 49%, that way you would have infinite recovery. I just didn't go for this because my initial build was ignite based so LL made no sense.
Last edited by BearCares on Apr 14, 2023, 11:59:04 AM
I remember making a build that had various things with Cast when Stunned and then a bunch of stun & block recovery so you could get a pretty much perma set of stupid things to do while stuttering your way through maps with lumps on your head.

He was also pretty tanky (guardian with all the spontaneous regen stuff, armour stacker, CI, 10 endurance charges, etc) so it all worked.

Now with all the no-regen no-recovery CDR spoiler mechanics, it's a lot harder to build a stable of good stuntrigger spells and whatnot without just outright dying to some of the stuff.

Minion builds were an ideal testing model for stun trigger actions because they often have way higher HP than you (and higher stun threshold) and you can preferentially get stunned while they're outside hit radius but within your aura effect. Now that they have lost a lot of HP and versatility, and triggers cost mana/life, there's almost no wiggle room left - anything that can stun you can also stun them and kill them.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
Well I'm no professional streamer but it's working for me so far. Level 85 with elementalist literally never looking at map mods. But degen is a problem on very incomplete character. But based on those positive indicators I've started an assassin who should have more damage than the which with max block and spell suppression. But still lvl 57 on yhat one
some cool cws tech items 😉
Ok, the reason I'm posting these ideas is because unlike when I first started playing this game (I was just a baby back then)... I doubt I'll have time to fully explore or test many of these things so I'm just putting them here in case some other cast when fun player is testing stuff.

It's so funny I have leveled 2 characters because I have 2 ideas for cast when stunned. One is elementalist and she is level 85 and doing fine but I realized I was going to need a lot more currency in order to fulfill the potential of millions of DPS from the PoB that I planned her with. So I had a bright idea, how about build TWO CWS characters at once, so that I could play with one while gathering currency for the other. That's why I made an Assassin who just made it to maps today.

The main difference between them is that the witch is all about ignite and the assassin is all about poison and crit. Funnily enough because of the difference in their starting position the Assassin is much more defensive than the witch. Much. More. And his damage is higher as well. However unlike witch he won't be able to do millions of dps off of a single ignite using something like this:

which I six linked using currency that I farmed with assassin lol - meanwhile I am leveling the assassin with gear that I bought from farming with witch

It's all very incomplete at the moment but you can see the gist of this build. Basically you are Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde because you can flip your Plague Bearer Switch, your Adrenaline switch, your Unhinged switch, and your Embrace Madness switch according to the situation. And also, the sword switches between Iron Reflexes for armor when you stand still and then back to evasion when you move.

You can also swap shields depending on whether you want defense or offense.

Btw check out that Crucible tree on the shield. +175 life and +8 quality because the bonus damage from that shield scales with quality lol. So what I'm saying is my damage basically doubles with the Crucible shield and but block chance is maxed out with Daresso's. And I can just swap those however I need.

Currently the Assasin has max block with Daresso's and max Suppression, even with Dance of Destruction (+25% more damage from monsters) he can face tank juiced up enemies and blow up the whole encounter even while taking additional increased damage from Beacon of Madness debuffs.

Anyway because of the weapon and amulet, each projectile that comes off of cast when stunned splits 4 times. So this assassin is basically a deadeye at this point.

But as I said he is incomplete and has nothing that can do anything to stop a large DoT from taking him down.

I'm currently looking at some fork shenanigans or whether that would be worth it all.
Last edited by BearCares on Apr 16, 2023, 2:06:21 PM
Sounds fun but also quite advanced... Congrats on making it work!

Could you capture a video so we can see some gameplay?
Sure I'll post a video. But for the moment I will switch back to Witch farming because in order to upgrade setups like these you have to do it all at once. You have to change all the colors on EVERYTHING and also get whatever links you'll be able to get on the chest. But he has officially cleared a +94% quantity red map even with the janky campaign-temporary gem setup.

But yeah, I'll show the video of how awkward he is right now. But also effective and viable. But then I switch to witch because as I said I have to change EVERYTHING on him to move him from campaign mode to full fledged map mode.

Right now his poison do about 10-40k each. But when I swap things around it should be 150k each. But I gotta rework a lot of stuff and at some point improve those rings, gloves, belt, and jewels. Cuz right now he has 3k life and 600 es. Which could pretty easily be put up to 3.5k life and 1000 es
https://youtu.be/TdDxeAwy74M

Here is the video. It's on a 100 quantity level 78 map I think. I didn't cherry pick the video either because the character is currently vulnerable to big DoTs and this map had a mod that says all enemy hits ignite you... so on big hits i get big ignite and that's where the damage was coming from... and you'll see the hit point go down in the beginning but ESPECIALLY if you watch the end lol. I could use a flask or something but didn't bother.

The character is still being theory crafted with PoB as a guide. His current damage is only 10% of what he gets after I rearrange some things.

I watched this and the frame rate is low I guess because I captured it with a second screen running or something.
Last edited by BearCares on Apr 17, 2023, 4:54:32 PM
Hahaha thanks for that video, love the idea! You basically just stand somewhere for about half a second and start spewing out spells all over the place!

When mere mortals usually run in circles to complete ritual altars, you instead just click and wait!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info