Never Getting Any Unique Items??? Bug# 2,539,724,051

"
RoyKM wrote:
Hi @TemjinGold, You suggested I wasn't getting Scrolls because my "Increased Rarity of Items Dropped By Slain Monsters" was too high at +82%. Considering your advice, I unloaded my amulet and rings and played Act 6 "The Twilight Strand" with only +9%, yet didn't get any Scrolls or Portals at all. Not even one.

I think the POE business analysts, or whoever changed that percentage (I doubt it's at the programmer level; probably a Rule in a Support Table), made them way too scarce. Why not make it a user option to set them as few or many?

The problem is I have tons of Rare stuff being dropped, but extremely rarely will a Unique item drop, and the ones that do have all sucked. Who would ever want to equip an item (Maligaro's Lens) that reduces your ALL Elemental Resistances by 50???

I need lots of Scrolls to identify all the Rare and Magic items to get good currency when I sell them. Thus I am selling the Rare and Magic items unidentified and losing out on the mass of currency I need to reforge items a thousand times until it's finally a good roll. I had several thousands of Scrolls in a previous game. Frustrating.

There's a bunch of changes I wish they'd make. Number 1 is they'd change the main Inventory to have one more row. It's a pain in the a$$ to constantly go back to town to unload an un-full inventory. It makes the game tedious.

Regardless, I love the game and continue to monetarily support it. Hopefully our support will encourage them to not destroy it like what happened with Diablo Immortal. F that!

Sounds like you are playing the game wrong if your goal is to get rich. In the campaign, the only things you should pick up and ID are the things that have a decent chance of being an upgrade to what you are using. You should NOT be grabbing everything and identifying to sell.

There's a lot of opportunity cost to what you are doing because if you are slowly full clearing every zone to pick all the stuff up and then sell, I will be in maps in a new league before you get to Act 4. In maps, I will start dropping higher value currency whereas you are still picking up soda cans.

Here's an example of how bad what you are doing is: If I drop 1 chaos orb in maps (fairly common there), it trades for ~20-30 alterations on day 1. Think about how many rares you have to pick up, ID, and sell, to get 20-30 alterations? Now multiply that across how many chaos orbs I get (one every few mins at worst). And that's only chaos orbs. Do you see why you will stay poor doing what you are doing?

That alone is a huge advantage for me but it gets worse for you: In a new league, the value of certain items starts super high early and as time passes, that value rapidly plummets. By the time you get to maps, the same stuff you dropped will be worthless whereas I got rich selling them because I got there much faster.

In short, if you want to get rich in a new league, your goal should be the OPPOSITE of what you are doing, because that ensures you are poor.
Last edited by TemjinGold on Mar 31, 2023, 9:05:30 AM
Wow! I never knew that. I'll have to read that a few times to understand it better. Each time I've gotten to the Maps, which I think is after we finish the last Act, I get killed SO EASILY!!! One or two hits and I'm dead and lose all my experience.

I've always found that by using Orb of Alchemy I can make better rare equipment than I find. And I've never found any good Corrupted equipment.

This is my first time playing a witch. I'm currently in Act 6, the Ridge. I can easily kill all the monsters until I get to a Boss...then they kill me a couple times before I can finally get them. Two things have been helping me this game: 1) using a Stone Golem and 2) "Scorching Ray" with "Burning Damage Support", "Spell Totem Support" and "Multiple Totems Support" (2 of them), which has helped a lot.

I'll just stop my current game and start over again and try to do what I think you're saying: to go as fast as I can to the next Act.

But some bosses are impossible to kill unless I grind and grind at the same Act until I'm finally strong enough to go back and try to kill it again.

Once I tried to follow someone's build, but they had all kinds of equipment I never got, so I just gave up and kept playing.

I've NEVER been successful at Maps. I would love to know how to level up in Maps.

Thanks again for your advice! Maybe one day I'll actually know how to play the game I've been failing at for years. :)
As starting build, I recommend following this build, as it's very gear independent: https://youtu.be/AmHr8Dy_Mu0

This guy is getting to lvl 50 in 3 hours in Ruthless, you should be able to do ok in non-ruthless.
"
RoyKM wrote:
Wow! I never knew that. I'll have to read that a few times to understand it better. Each time I've gotten to the Maps, which I think is after we finish the last Act, I get killed SO EASILY!!! One or two hits and I'm dead and lose all my experience.

I've always found that by using Orb of Alchemy I can make better rare equipment than I find. And I've never found any good Corrupted equipment.

This is my first time playing a witch. I'm currently in Act 6, the Ridge. I can easily kill all the monsters until I get to a Boss...then they kill me a couple times before I can finally get them. Two things have been helping me this game: 1) using a Stone Golem and 2) "Scorching Ray" with "Burning Damage Support", "Spell Totem Support" and "Multiple Totems Support" (2 of them), which has helped a lot.

I'll just stop my current game and start over again and try to do what I think you're saying: to go as fast as I can to the next Act.

But some bosses are impossible to kill unless I grind and grind at the same Act until I'm finally strong enough to go back and try to kill it again.

Once I tried to follow someone's build, but they had all kinds of equipment I never got, so I just gave up and kept playing.

I've NEVER been successful at Maps. I would love to know how to level up in Maps.

Thanks again for your advice! Maybe one day I'll actually know how to play the game I've been failing at for years. :)

No worries, I was new once too. I used to do everything you did and I used to do Chaos recipe all the time. Then one league I decided, "What happens if I just don't do any of that since everyone is saying I'm being such a noob for playing that way?" I was convinced I'd be broke since those things were my only income. What actually happened was I got way richer than I ever was.

To push the acts fast you also need a strong build, just rushing everything alone doesn't do it. But if you have a good build with a good understanding of what items to aim for, you can get to maps super fast. And that's where the real currency is made.
Last edited by TemjinGold on Mar 31, 2023, 6:56:21 PM
I watched the first 12 minutes of that video...it's 3+ hours long! I had a lot of trouble understanding what the guy was doing and talking about; the video was fast. Even when it slowed down it still went to fast for my pea-sized brain.

What does he mean by "Create 20 more mules to find a +1 Cold Wand or shield from the vendor?" I Googled Mules, but it seems to be where someone has many low-level characters and somehow that helps them gain experience faster???

After the Library, what is an "Uncarved Gemstone"? Is it a White Gem? I've never seen one. I tried Googling this too. One of the problems is, the people in the forums are highly experienced gamers, and have their own vocabulary, that barely-ever players can't comprehend.

What does he mean by "Each Uncarved Gemstone can be only traded for 1 Skill Gemstone"?

After the fast video, and when he started playing the game, he barely fought any enemies! I have always hunted every level to ensure I killed every enemy so I could gain experience, and pick up all the Rare and currency items. Yet he kept leveling up by only occasionally killing them. I don't understand.

I can barely survive Standard. I tried Ruthless once. I quickly died and was shoved back into Standard. Is the only way to get good stuff to keep trying Ruthless? It totally sucks to spend hours on something and then die; like going 3/4 through the Ascendency Trial and then dying...of course I make sure I kill every enemy there too...

I've tried using Path of Building. It's complex. I really only use it to pick support gems that had the highest DPS. But sometimes it seems using a lower-DPS gem actually works better.
I've never heard of a loot filter before. I'll try it out! Thanks!!!
"
RoyKM wrote:
What does he mean by "Create 20 more mules to find a +1 Cold Wand or shield from the vendor?" I Googled Mules, but it seems to be where someone has many low-level characters and somehow that helps them gain experience faster???

Mules are typically just extra characters made for holding extra inventory. In this case though, since each character's vendor offerings are different, they're suggesting that you make new characters to effectively "refresh vendor inventory" to search for the particular goods.

"
RoyKM wrote:
After the Library, what is an "Uncarved Gemstone"? Is it a White Gem? I've never seen one. I tried Googling this too. One of the problems is, the people in the forums are highly experienced gamers, and have their own vocabulary, that barely-ever players can't comprehend.

What does he mean by "Each Uncarved Gemstone can be only traded for 1 Skill Gemstone"?

In the base game mode, completing the Library quest lets you purchase any skill/support gem that's available by that point in the story.

In Ruthless, the shop allows you to buy Skill gems (not support gem), and instead of costing normal currency, they cost an "Uncarved Gemstone" that you get from quest rewards for the Library quest and another quest in act 5.
"
RoyKM wrote:
I watched the first 12 minutes of that video...it's 3+ hours long! I had a lot of trouble understanding what the guy was doing and talking about; the video was fast. Even when it slowed down it still went to fast for my pea-sized brain.

After the fast video, and when he started playing the game, he barely fought any enemies! I have always hunted every level to ensure I killed every enemy so I could gain experience, and pick up all the Rare and currency items. Yet he kept leveling up by only occasionally killing them. I don't understand.

I can barely survive Standard. I tried Ruthless once. I quickly died and was shoved back into Standard. Is the only way to get good stuff to keep trying Ruthless? It totally sucks to spend hours on something and then die; like going 3/4 through the Ascendency Trial and then dying...of course I make sure I kill every enemy there too...

I've tried using Path of Building. It's complex. I really only use it to pick support gems that had the highest DPS. But sometimes it seems using a lower-DPS gem actually works better.
For now, focus on 2 things:
1) Skill tree used by that guy (allows you to have damage and tankiness without gear)
2) The way he moves in zones to maintain his level vs zone level - how often he goes to town, how many mobs he kills per zone, when is he repeating a zone to catch up on levels, etc. He is completing the campaign almost without gear, so levels are very important.

He used a "Mule" to get his "Holy Flame Totem" gem - completed "Breaking some Eggs" quest with a templar, to get the gem reward. But you don't need to do that, you can buy it directly from vendor as Witch, once you complete "Breaking some Eggs".

In Ruthless you can't buy support gems from vendors, so the campaign should be a lot easier for you. Also, in act 3 you have access to buying auras like Determination/Grace/PurityOfElements/Malevolence/Skitterbots, which can make your character a lot stronger then his. Also, in Ruthless you have very limited currency. In base game you find an occasional alch or essence which you can throw on an item for an upgrade.
Last edited by 6_din_49 on Apr 1, 2023, 3:37:13 AM
Thank you for all your advice! I'll watch and pay attention. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info