Announcing Ruthless

"
Beverice wrote:
Seems neat but
"
Item drops are not allocated to specific party members. Looting is entirely free-for-all. Items really matter. Better pick them up before someone else does.

why this change?

More people will want to group up naturally for this. I think this will bring back party's in PoE in a FAT way.

Billboard will advertise for people to play with them. Having a friend list dedicated to this mode will be key too.

Not for everyone, but man doing some SLOW grouping for a change sounds so nice.
Are regular skill gem quest rewards still in Ruthless? or do we need to farm other skill gems with the original gems that we start with?
This is the best update I have ever seen, so far. The announcement alone has rekindled my desire to play this game. I've never been amazing at playing PoE, but I am super excited to see how far I can get before stopping xD

And it was a side project... Magnificent idea!

And so it is: Vini Vidi Flati
"
ChanceWolf wrote:
Will there anything be done against logout macros?

Because as it stands now, with the much lower overall player power, it will probably get abused a lot more often

Your use of the word "abuse" shows that you probably don't know GGG's stance on this :

Logout macro are not and have never been a problem regarding game balance, GGG expect people to use them, and they design their encounters around them.
They want player to be able to get into pinch situations with adrenaline rush, "OH SHIT !" moments where you have to log out if you don't want to get destroyed.

I am not judging whether or not this is good or bad here, I am simply trying to explain what their stance is.

"
Gunslingerx64 wrote:
The community does not want this shit. You are killing your game and ignoring the playerbase. RIP GGG

Please stop thinking that you speak for the whole community, as you don't and as there are players looking forward to id.

(On top of which : this does not take significant dev resources, which means that you are getting tilted over something that will not affect you)

"
Chaplin132000 wrote:
If every item is affected by this scarcity wouldn't that mean the end game itself, atlas, would be greatly affected by this in that there are scenarios where you finally run out of maps? Because if map sustain is going to be affected that would lead players having nothing better to do but waste time farming act 10 when they run out of maps...

This used to be the case, players used to need to juice their maps to sustain them.
Now map sustain is a joke, probably too much tbh ...

"
From a project management perspective, this seems like a misstep. Competing responsibilities need to be prioritized and pet projects, when work related, will always impact other work tasks. This could be as simple as the pet project occupying headspace when you should be focused on your actual work

Really ???

Should we forbid GGG's dev from having any kind of entertainment outside of their work to make sure that their "headspace" is not used by anything else than their work ?

Why not use whips to make sure that they only focus on their work ? you know, like slavery !
/s

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
You destroy HC league playerbase thx ur vision.
My friends stop playing bcs its unplayable for normal person, or run to SC. Bcs chall. rewards.

Now you think, something more hardcore is that what yours players want?

It is just weird dream in CW head.

And what is more funny ... players who mostly want play this mode are from SC XD
Rly players who play only SC trade (here on forum)XD
[/quote]
Because Chris is obsessed with the high he got from being the fastest click in NZ when playing D2.

This is the one change for Ruthless that I really don't like.

Ruthless would be a fantastic mode for PUGing if it weren't for this.

I hate things in games that encourage bad behavior. This encourages bad behavior. Certain things about the way trade is set up encourage bad behavior.

I wish PoE would grow up and realize that civilization is better than a world where people are brigands and thieves without consequences.

If you insist on letting people steal from me, make a way for me to steal my shit back.[/quote]

Really well stated.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"
The_Impeacher wrote:
"
aktillum wrote:
I'm excited if this will be like 6-player parties whacking at bosses with white swords. I wouldn't want to play SSF Ruthless but could be fun with a group.

Roaming gangs of exiles, fighting over support gem drops.

I think you're onto the vision, here...

Yeah honestly FFA loot will be terrible if you play with groups of strangers.

I don't miss the days of D2 boss runs where everyone just mindlessly clicks the loot trying to get before everyone else.

Ruthless sounds fun for a group of friends who can share loot though.

"Hey bro that gem is good for you, grab it"
"Yo dude this wand is good for you, take it"

If Ruthless mode encourages players to group up or form better guilds, that's awesome. I look forward to that.

If it ends up a sweaty competition of click speed and fastest latency, I'll stick to league/standard.
Last edited by aktillum on Nov 3, 2022, 5:03:14 AM
Don't listen to all the haters GGG.
Halve the people in this comment section don't know what they want anyways.
It should always be the decision of the company to give life to a game they want.
The right players will come to the game. You don't have to please the wrong people.
Reading all of the crap written here feels like many people should just go and start creating there own game as they clearly want something that is not your vision of the game and most likely will fail horribly.
I hope those idiots are not discouraging for you and you keep up all the good work you are doing.
I am looking forward to trying Ruthless even though i am not sure it will capture me.
Spoiler
"
gandhar0 wrote:
"
Balsache wrote:
"
Gems cannot be purchased from vendors.
When an Influenced Item is reforged or the Influenced Mod is removed, its influence is lost. Many deterministic items like Divination Cards or Oni-Goroshi cannot be obtained.
Most vendor recipes are not available.
The crafting bench cannot be accessed.
Almost all movement skills are not available in Ruthless.

Just tell us what is left instead of what is removed you would have made a shorter post.
Sounds like a thing that "could" be fun but when reality hits you and realize you gonna be able to pick only between a few caster builds and need to grind like crazy just for average rare gear don't know how the perception gonna evolve.

Alright your game mode it's not for me. Feels like pain train made a stop at grind city. As long as it stays isolated and this mindset doesn't go core i'm ok with this kind of weird pet project.
Curious to see how many people will give it a try & how many will be there after 8 days.
Maybe if i see some changes that would align with my personal taste i would give it a try but i doubt, sounds way too time-consuming for me to perceive it worth it.
GL & HF to those who find it interesting. Cheers.

A senior dev adds this mode in his free time for basically free without spending much ressources as a side project and people still complain that there is more variety in future leagues, saying GGG wasted their time on this.

It is okay to dislike it if it does not fit your liking but starting to project and pretend your (not you personally but people with similar sentiment) opinion = truth is a bit weird, i hope you understand.

There are (relatively) lots of people who will choose this mode as their new standard mode for various reasons. Be it old folks from closed/open beta or people that like a slowed down gearing process.

Have fun 0/

ps. I think Ruthless is still way easier than custom leagues.
In them you can permanently disable certain item rarities, flask recharges and make bosses way more difficult while Ruthless is basically just a slowed down gearing process.
Once you go above a certain threshold(different for each skills/builds) you gonna destroy content as it was before, since bosses are still the same.

Read again my original post maybe you're responding to the wrong one
(behind spoiler to avoid flooding with a 10km post)
Nowhere did i state my opinion was some kind of truth nor did i call out GGG for "wasting time" i clearly said it was a pet project.

Nowhere did i engage in speculation toward the amount of people who will choose this over standard.
All i said is "Curious to see how many people will give it a try & how many will be there after 8 days." Clearly intrigued about engagement & retention.
I just have doubt about the longevity of this concept.

So i'm really confused on how, finding it not so much to my liking, because i perceive it too grindy, without room for diversity & not worth my time, being some kind of projection.
I never used "our" or "the community" i didn't spend my time create some kind of divider somewhere just to give my two cents feedback.
Even ended with "GL & HF to those who find it interesting. Cheers."
So yeah i'm a bit confused about the reply but thanks i guess.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info