I'm confused by fire trap nerf

"
Gopstop22 wrote:
fire exposure is useless you can get it for free from gloves implicit using eater of world/exarch currency and sorching ray requires you to stand still to ramp up damage when fire trap you can throw and move around that already gives you much more survivability becuz standing still in poe means DEATH

"
DarthSki44 wrote:
People would absolutely use SR if the game wasnt so insanely rippy once you stop moving. It's a death sentence in today's PoE. So fire trap allows two things. One is toss and move to survive, and the other is to get crits and ignites (especially Inquisitor)

"
Draegnarrr wrote:
Scorching ray didn't get buffed, if it got the buff fire trap got by accident it probably would be used - hell i'd have probably used it :p

Fire trap has everything on scorching ray, its fire and forget, it has a large hit component, you can double burn with it (ignite + burning ground) and exposure is "free" from eldritch implicits.

Really its the opposite of what you think, it isn't why would they use firetrap its why would they use scorching ray and the answer is they wouldn't :p

"
SR is a bad skill in todays 1-click screen clear zoom gameplay style. SR's ramp up time takes too long and standing still to cast is a fundamental no-no, as mobs are often stronger/faster/immune than bosses and ground debufs are piled on top of each other (i.e. invisible), resulting in common 1shot instadeaths.

mmk
fire exposure being useless. ok, sure. i have no idea how common or expensive it is to get on gear, but if it can be done and its the same value, then fair enough

i know that movement is the best defensive mechanic in this game - it has been for a long long while. that being said, you stand still anytime you do anything. throw a trap, you stand still. especially if you don't have trap throwing speed.
i think people severely underestimate scorching ray, and probably haven't really played it themselves. the benefit to scorching ray is again, its cast speed is really high so to get to max stacks you don't need to stand still for very long. you also don't need to stand still to get to max stacks in one go.
the benefit to SR is its duration - while, so long as you touch them with the beam before it times out, it refreshes and continues to stack and keeps its damage up.
so you literally just touch them with beam, move, touch them with beam, move, on repeat.

i can't imagine these fire trap builds are getting too much damage from ignite. definitely not enough to put it over SRs damage. again, its MUCH higher damage than even current iteration fire trap.

SR is not a bad skill in todays 1-click clear screen zoom playstyle. any DoT (including RF and FT) is bad for that. SR definitely contends with those.

you guys should give SR a fair shake. learn how to use the skill. its actually one of the best early league boss killing abilities (or at least used to be when you could comfortably get 3m dps on it) because of its mechanics. its very safe and easily keeps full damage on bosses while you're moving around.
its like you guys think you need to stand still for 5 seconds in a row blasting something full on with a 4-episode long Kamehameha beam or something.

i imagine next patch you'll see everyone swap to SR given its buffs vs FTs nerfs. i still won't be playing the game though so i don't care

thanks for the insights though

Last edited by xMustard on Aug 10, 2022, 12:35:03 AM
SR does ~ half the damage of pure firetrap atm, it'll be closer after the nerf but not by enough to matter.

You've got 6268 vs 6753 (because EO) as base values, fire trap gets the highest value more multiplier from trap and mine damage support and the cheapest damage aura in skitterbots.

Then it hits and ignites, RF characters won't generally scale the ignite outside of passive scaling but my pure FT character does around 400k hit, 2.6mil dot and 1.5mil ignite it isn't like the ignite is trivial.

Scorch on the same character does 1.8mil DoT which is gonna put it bang in line with fire trap after the patch reductions - exactly what I'd expect as they balance everything to pretty similar values. That still leaves fire trap drastically infront though again its no contest lol..

SR is better than its reputation, but it isn't better than firetrap.
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
SR does ~ half the damage of pure firetrap atm, it'll be closer after the nerf but not by enough to matter.

You've got 6268 vs 6753 (because EO) as base values, fire trap gets the highest value more multiplier from trap and mine damage support and the cheapest damage aura in skitterbots.

Then it hits and ignites, RF characters won't generally scale the ignite outside of passive scaling but my pure FT character does around 400k hit, 2.6mil dot and 1.5mil ignite it isn't like the ignite is trivial.

Scorch on the same character does 1.8mil DoT which is gonna put it bang in line with fire trap after the patch reductions - exactly what I'd expect as they balance everything to pretty similar values. That still leaves fire trap drastically infront though again its no contest lol..

SR is better than its reputation, but it isn't better than firetrap.

Sr being bad doesn't mean ft has to be worse. None of the damage numbers there are anything significant. That's bottom rung minimum dmg numbers to do end game.

(سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س
"
RitualMurder wrote:

Sr being bad doesn't mean ft has to be worse. None of the damage numbers there are anything significant. That's bottom rung minimum dmg numbers to do end game.

That's bottom rung minimum dmg numbers to do end game on a HC character, there are <10 skills that get to that value for that investment. On SC it'd be 20m+ per trap and you'd spend the game zzzzzzz.

I wouldn't nerf it personally, i'm just explaining why they did their reasoning is sound. You can't say you are confused when every spell has a value of 100 and you get to one that's 150 and they say we are making it 100.

Edit: if you are focused on performance by itself then pretty much nothing they do makes sense in which case you'll always be confused :p
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Aug 11, 2022, 3:49:14 AM
Maybe you are new here, but sometimes GGG nerfs things just so people stop using them /shrug

(I know you're not new)
Last edited by NightCicer on Aug 11, 2022, 7:04:08 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info