I'm confused by fire trap nerf

"
xMustard wrote:
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
This ones really easy to explain

They buffed every spell with a cast component (so traps too AFAIK) by 45% in AN, but fire trap was the only one that had its DoT component buffed as well.

That's pretty much it. It is pretty overpowered at its current value too one of the best skills/investment due the DoT being so high and exacerbated by RF being the build of choice for many players right now.

really? then why aren't players using scorching ray, as most RF builds used to do? it still does 25% more damage, before being buffed and before FT gets nerfed, and it also applies fire exposure. getting cast speed is much easier than trap throwing speed, and the mechanics of SR are vastly better for single target (the damage doesn't drop off even after you stop casting to move. as long as you touch them with the beam before the timer drops off the damage remains at max)

not sure what fire trap has over scorching ray at all. again, im not playing the game, nor have i for a long while, but i've played these skills for leagues over and i can't seem to see what people are claiming

People would absolutely use SR if the game wasnt so insanely rippy once you stop moving. It's a death sentence in today's PoE. So fire trap allows two things. One is toss and move to survive, and the other is to get crits and ignites (especially Inquisitor)
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
xMustard wrote:

really? then why aren't players using scorching ray

Scorching ray didn't get buffed, if it got the buff fire trap got by accident it probably would be used - hell i'd have probably used it :p

Fire trap has everything on scorching ray, its fire and forget, it has a large hit component, you can double burn with it (ignite + burning ground) and exposure is "free" from eldritch implicits.

Really its the opposite of what you think, it isn't why would they use firetrap its why would they use scorching ray and the answer is they wouldn't :p
"
Lyutsifer665 wrote:
i bet they just nerf it because its the no1 meta build right now

Absolutely. There really is no justification for this completely absurd change other than the typical if it's fun nerf it mentality.
"I've played a lot of videogames. It's my primary recreational activity. Best games ever: Elden Ring and Diablo 4."
~Elon Musk, 2023
"
xMustard wrote:
fire trap was always incredible early DoT damage. amazing for leveling, terrible for mapping.
its damage should be high because of its delay, low AoE, and static placement.

funny thing is, they're buffing the level 1 damage but nerfing its lvl 20 damage, with its cross over probably around the lvl 10 mark or so. this gem will still be awesome for leveling, which is what it was mostly used for anyway.

that said, a max of 4170 DoT damage on the top end isn't anything to write home about, especially because of its downsides mentioned above.

and, well i quit at this time, but didn't they essentially change it so you can't use elemental overload and elemental equilibrium for DoT skills now, or something?
like EO has to be applied by the skill (so i guess fire trap can still use this), but EE is...i dunno its different in some ridiculous way which makes it not worth using, or something?

anyway i was on a real scorching ray build kick during those days and those changes killed that fun - because reasons. we all know SR and other skills like that were just dominating the leagues, AMIRITE?
more of GGG just making changes to try to kick the top builds/skills down a peg, while obliterating everything but the top builds/skills. lol

EO and EE no longer with with RF/SR, but do with FT. EE isn't used in RF/FT builds because it's been repositioned on the tree somewhere in the boonies.

SR is a bad skill in todays 1-click screen clear zoom gameplay style. SR's ramp up time takes too long and standing still to cast is a fundamental no-no, as mobs are often stronger/faster/immune than bosses and ground debufs are piled on top of each other (i.e. invisible), resulting in common 1shot instadeaths.
"I've played a lot of videogames. It's my primary recreational activity. Best games ever: Elden Ring and Diablo 4."
~Elon Musk, 2023
Last edited by DreadLordAvatar on Aug 9, 2022, 11:34:39 AM
To be fair, your average Determination, Molten Shell, Melding, Aegis Inquisitor that is using FT can very much afford to stand still (or outright afk really) in pretty much anything that isn't uber bosses and really hairy wave 2X Simulacrums.
That said, running Scorching Ray would basically mean to skip that kind of content on a build that could do it if it just used FT so obviously no one does that. There is constant outrage and discussion about melee and minions but channeling skills are arguably in a way worse state than both of these together. Having to stand still is just way to much of an handycap on 99% of the builds and even for the remaining 1% there is no reason to use channel skills that aren't cyclone..
Last edited by Baharoth15 on Aug 9, 2022, 1:10:23 PM
Channels share all the same problems but they can be mitigated to a degree, cyclone moves obviously, DI hits the screen around you while charging up, most of the rest can be made pretty turbo with investment which limits their drawbacks.

But they are pretty bad honestly channels for me are perfectly interchangeable with melee, its the exact same list of problems.

Extra passives to compensates for mechanics
Extra defence to compensate for positioning
Bad uptime due to skill requirements
same damage as things that require neither

Who am I? :p
"
Lyutsifer665 wrote:

They should nerf rf and boots if anything. Fire trap just made bossing possible its not even good. Like 10 minutes or more to kill anything end game. Now gonna be way worse.

Wonder if ggg actually tests this stuff or just looks on ninja and nerfs all the most played stuff just cus.
(سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س
"
RitualMurder wrote:
"
Lyutsifer665 wrote:

They should nerf rf and boots if anything. Fire trap just made bossing possible its not even good. Like 10 minutes or more to kill anything end game. Now gonna be way worse.

Wonder if ggg actually tests this stuff or just looks on ninja and nerfs all the most played stuff just cus.

yeah i played rf/ft this league and can confirm that single target damage was not OP at all...no need for a nerf.
"
Lyutsifer665 wrote:
"
RitualMurder wrote:
"
Lyutsifer665 wrote:

yeah i played rf/ft this league and can confirm that single target damage was not OP at all...no need for a nerf.

We all know. It's just a shitty way to force a neta shift that isn't needed. No one is doing 40 minute Uber fights on rf and having fun.
(سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س
I dont think RF is vialbe uber uber boss killer those bosses are more of dps check than defense check i had super tanky character and uber ubee bosses kill you instantly anyway so RF is terrible for that
Last edited by Gopstop22 on Aug 9, 2022, 10:06:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info