Vulcan error - Error device lost

Same problem, epsecially when I try to enter breachhead....
same problem.
after the last patch, problems with graphics and crush began, before this patch the game did not change the computer configuration for several years
"
weveran wrote:
I'm getting this too all of a sudden after the 3.22.1 patch, I have thousands of hours in this game prior with the same hardware. I've narrowed it down to the fact that it only happens in town, which is an odd find. I had an alt I was running through the campaign and had to try three times in Highgate to walk from where you appear when you log in to the entrance to the Ascent. Once I'm out of town I'm fine, I can run several maps. If I go back to town I get this error and crash in 30 seconds or less every time, I can repeat it with precision. It's very frustrating...

Yep, I noticed this too. This error only happens to me in towns.
IGN: RennacVD
Was there any resolution to this? wtf is going on with POE performance and why did they fix something that wasn't freaking broken.

Game is unplayable. Every town just randomly crashes with this stupid error.
Seems to be a Vulkan problem. I've read people having the same problem with baldur's gate. If you change to Direct X it won't happen. Sadly my gpu fries playing this game with DX so it's not really an option for me.

I've seem it happening during ROTAS and during trades. I'm in a group or in my hideout and, sometimes, when a new player joins the area for the first time I crash with the "device lost' error, so I believe it has to be something related to Vulkan + loading some MTX cosmetics for the first time.

As others pointed out, it happens a lot inside towns aswell (maybe because it's the easiest place to find people using the mtx cosmetics that causes the problem). In very few cases seems to happens in sanctum or maps... maybe caused by sanctum guardians/rogue exiles MTX
Last edited by pelife123 on Oct 5, 2023, 5:57:01 PM
I have started having the same issue just now, after getting "the usual unlisted update" - PoE downloaded something, applied but no changes are listed in the window with changelog.
"
Moonflyer wrote:
I have started having the same issue just now, after getting "the usual unlisted update" - PoE downloaded something, applied but no changes are listed in the window with changelog.

Full reinstallation of NVIDIA drivers fixed the issue. This is the second time PoE acts like this. Other games continue to work normally meanwhile.
I have this same problem but am playing from linux. It only happened when I upgraded nvidia drivers past 470.86 for the sake of trying to get Diablo 2 to work because diablo 2 decided out of the blue after a patch that it wouldnt see my gpu anymore till I put a newer driver on it. So one game works with the new driver one the old.

Crappy temporary solution use driver 470.86 forever, and I can at least play PoE for hours from lutris version with dxvk at around 60-100fps with naught a crash.

I installed several major versions:
470.223.02,515.48.07,515.57,515.76,525.147.05,535.129.03 none of these were any good.

Something is goofed with nvidia ever since that driver release and it seems it affects windows pc users too. I also used to have problems with some games randomly changing the screen color to one solid color and locking up, my pc would keep playing audio, I would then hit ctrl+alt+escape to skull and crossbones kill the program by clicking it, then my screen would stay black and my system would hard lock and need power off after a few seconds after the game was closed, which was happening with newer drivers about a year ago on Quake 3, D2, CS:S, CS:GO etc. This problem was also intermittent and super hard to nail down why it was happening at all.

I am so done with nvidia. The next gpu I buy will have to be a amd card but it sucks AMD doesnt have a nice gpu control pannel for userspace on linux like nvidia does as far as I know yet.

System spec:
HPZ840/Dual Xeon 12-Core 2.5Ghz v2/64GB DDR4 ECC 2133Mhz/2TB Evo950 M.2/980GTX/1.1KW PSU
Slackware Linux 15.0 64-bit w/ KDE Plasma 5.22~ & Multilib
I would like to post a update I updated to the new features branch driver newest one I could find and I think it might be a winner again. I havent had Device lost and have been in town walking around a few mins and usually it crashes right away. I will post again later once I know if that fixed it or not if so I recommend gettign the newest feature release branch version if on linux.

Nvidia has possibly redeemed itself plus amd dont got a control pannel yet for their driver so perhaps the amd exodus will be on haitus.

EDIT: It just crashed after I clicked post lol SCRATCH WHAT I SAID ABOVE!.

EDIT: Seems to play a map fine so far on feature branch it seems like the crashing is mainly in town. I wonder what causes this or if there is a graphics effect that can be turned off or down that might solve it.
Last edited by kasaga6666 on Nov 14, 2023, 9:35:12 PM
I am getting this error too. Only since TOTA. No changes made to game settings or computer beyond updating POE. Pretty sure it started happening once they rolled out that big performance patch right at the end of last league.

I can conclusively say that it happens whenever I join an instance or someone loads into my instance and they are wearing an MTX that my game has not seen before.

I crash in town and rogue's harbour very frequently, and I've noticed that I crash on zoning to other player's hideouts to trade, and sometimes when they zone into MY hideout where I am already waiting.

Once a trade-related crash happens I can consistently make it successfully to their hideout to complete the trade. For me this issue is absolutely related to some sort of initialization of shaders or mtx or graphics that my POE client has not seen since the performance patch. Because for a while it was also happening in maps. But I feel like now that I have played many hours of the current league I've managed to "initialise" all of the content in maps. It's the new MTX that causes the crashes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info