Vulcan error - Error device lost

Hi there,

For the better part of a year now, I've been getting the same errors and from the broad specter of things i've done to trouble shoot it, nothing has worked whatsoever. I've been looking at the forum threads and i have seen similar problems occurring to other people. The only thing i've seen given as a simple solution is deleting the VK cache:

\Path of Exile\ShaderCache
\Path of Exile\ShaderCacheVulkan
\Path of Exile\CachedHLSLShaders\Vulkan
\Documents\My Games\ShaderCacheVulkan.

But it has not worked for me, only making different graphics not loading or taking a long time to load.

The problem im experiencing is that in towns and the hideout i have no problem whatsoever, but the moment i enter a map or place where usually there are monsters the game will crash and this two errors will pop up *see pinned image*.

I believe there is no official response from GGG or any working solution.

Last bumped on Apr 11, 2024, 1:39:41 AM
"
PlygMax wrote:
Hi there,

For the better part of a year now, I've been getting the same errors and from the broad specter of things i've done to trouble shoot it, nothing has worked whatsoever. I've been looking at the forum threads and i have seen similar problems occurring to other people. The only thing i've seen given as a simple solution is deleting the VK cache:

\Path of Exile\ShaderCache
\Path of Exile\ShaderCacheVulkan
\Path of Exile\CachedHLSLShaders\Vulkan
\Documents\My Games\ShaderCacheVulkan.

But it has not worked for me, only making different graphics not loading or taking a long time to load.

The problem im experiencing is that in towns and the hideout i have no problem whatsoever, but the moment i enter a map or place where usually there are monsters the game will crash and this two errors will pop up *see pinned image*.

I believe there is no official response from GGG or any working solution.

what PC hardware do you have ?
What OS are you running and is it fully updated ?
Is your motherboard settings correct and bios updated ?
Are you doing any kind of OC of RAM / CPU / GPU ?
Did you buy a GPU that is OC from vendor ?
Are you sure your PSU is strong enough / stable enough ?
Did you change texture to medium ?
You sure you don't have any file corruption / disc problems ?

In regards to GGG, then they don't offer "TECH support" for "the moment" (been like this for 2+ years now), so that explains why no reply from GGG.
Last edited by HanSoloDK on May 12, 2022, 8:19:06 AM
Everything is above min req, no overclocking, windows 10, preinstalled the game, repaired it, reinstalled windows, full clear, all that before tinkering with every setting regarding perfomance.

Yeah, i figured, but i hoped that someone has had the same issues and has trouble shooted it

Right now, somehow i managed to run it on dx11, which i could not months ago.
Thank you for your reply anyway.

Hello! I also have the same problem. the problem appeared after upgrading the PC to (i7 13700k and DDR5 and Z790 motherboard replacement) I have reinstalled windows 10 and 11 (on both operating systems the problem is the same), PC is updated, directx too. errors pops up 1 out of 10 times, it's mostly the case that if you press alt+f4, the game can work for 1h or 5min without crashing
Was anyone able to fix this?
I have the same issue with Vulcan enabled.

My specs are:
- Windows 11 22H2 (OS Build 22621.1194)
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
- Graphics card: AMD RX 5700 XT
- Mainboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
- 32 GB DDR 4 RAM
(nothing over- or underclocked)

The game is also installed on a m.2 SSD.
File verification and reinstall did not fix the issue.

As already being said, the game could crash anytime between 5min and an hour of gameplay.
"
cmxl wrote:
Was anyone able to fix this?
I have the same issue with Vulcan enabled.

My specs are:
- Windows 11 22H2 (OS Build 22621.1194)
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
- Graphics card: AMD RX 5700 XT
- Mainboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
- 32 GB DDR 4 RAM
(nothing over- or underclocked)

The game is also installed on a m.2 SSD.
File verification and reinstall did not fix the issue.

As already being said, the game could crash anytime between 5min and an hour of gameplay.

Try this -->
1. Run packcheck.exe as "an administrator" / In steam select "Verify game files".
2. Delete the local PoE cache files here -->
C:\Users\"your windows account name"\AppData\Roaming\Path of Exile\
3. Now start PoE again as "an administrator". When at the login screen, select options.
4. Now set texture to MEDIUM and Sound channels to low.
5. See if the issue is resolved ?

Step 4 is VERY important if you use Vulcan.
"
HanSoloDK wrote:
Try this -->
1. Run packcheck.exe as "an administrator" / In steam select "Verify game files".
2. Delete the local PoE cache files here -->
C:\Users\"your windows account name"\AppData\Roaming\Path of Exile\
3. Now start PoE again as "an administrator". When at the login screen, select options.
4. Now set texture to MEDIUM and Sound channels to low.
5. See if the issue is resolved ?

Step 4 is VERY important if you use Vulcan.

Not working for me :'(
Last edited by KenjiKawai on Apr 8, 2023, 3:18:12 PM
Sorry for necroing this thread, but this is one of the first ones that come up when you look up "Error Device Lost". In the log you can see POE trying (and failing...) to switch to something other than the main GPU.

To solve this issue you need to turn off the integrated graphics on your CPU. I just used Device Manager and "Deactivate".

I crashed once a map, now I've been playing for 3 hours without issue.

Hope it works for whoever finds this thread!

"
Pedopyssling wrote:
Sorry for necroing this thread, but this is one of the first ones that come up when you look up "Error Device Lost". In the log you can see POE trying (and failing...) to switch to something other than the main GPU.

To solve this issue you need to turn off the integrated graphics on your CPU. I just used Device Manager and "Deactivate".

I crashed once a map, now I've been playing for 3 hours without issue.

Hope it works for whoever finds this thread!

Still occuring even with intergrated graphics disabled... Ever since the start of Crucible I've been getting weird crashes. DX12/DX11 crash silently at least vulkan gives me this error code, not that its helping at all!
getting the same bullshit on both pcs
Msg me in game if u need build help :), 14k+ hours since 2014.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info