Xbox servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

[3.24] fezz's Toxic Rain Champion - Step-by-Step PoE Build Guide for Beginners & Casuals

Hi again! Another question...My current bow is this:

I just picked this up:

What's the best thing to do with it? Is it worth it to ink it? Master craft something on it?
"
Royella wrote:
Hi again! Another question...My current bow is this:

Unavailable

I just picked this up:

Unavailable

What's the best thing to do with it? Is it worth it to ink it? Master craft something on it?

I would stick to your current bow. Although the new one MIGHT be a bit better (to be sure you would have to check PoB) for now, it's not in the long run (bad base, partly useless mods) which is why I wouldn't invest any currency on it - just not worth it.
Last edited by fezz8386 on Jul 21, 2022, 12:10:22 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
fezz8386 wrote:
I would stick to your current bow. Although the new one MIGHT be a bit better (to be sure you would have to check PoB) for now, it's not in the long run (bad base, partly useless mods) which is why I wouldn't invest any currency on it - just not worth it.

Excellent, thank you. You are very prompt with replies and have a very well written guide! It's nice to have when you don't get a lot of time to play. I actually 6 linked that thicket bow with around 50 fusing, I was shocked :)

One more question, would the chaos damage added to bow attacks off something like this apply to toxic rain attacks?

Edit: The way I understand it would work with the first arrow/hit but not the pods? Are there any good abyssal mods for this build?
Last edited by Royella on Jul 21, 2022, 9:53:09 AM
"
Royella wrote:
"
fezz8386 wrote:

Excellent, thank you. You are very prompt with replies and have a very well written guide! It's nice to have when you don't get a lot of time to play. I actually 6 linked that thicket bow with around 50 fusing, I was shocked :)

One more question, would the chaos damage added to bow attacks off something like this apply to toxic rain attacks?
Unavailable

Edit: The way I understand it would work with the first arrow/hit but not the pods? Are there any good abyssal mods for this build?

Yes, there are useful mods for Abyss jewels. Check the 'Abyss Jewel' part here - unfortunately, Added Chaos Damage to Bow Attacks is not one of them :D
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
fezz8386 wrote:
Yes, there are useful mods for Abyss jewels. Check the 'Abyss Jewel' part here - unfortunately, Added Chaos Damage to Bow Attacks is not one of them :D
You are on it my man! Thanks!
Perhaps the single best source of information (for casual/beginning) players around... thank you SO much for doing this guide and keeping things up-to-date!

Looking forward to the next league, and will be starting it off with your build :)
"
citruslounge wrote:
Perhaps the single best source of information (for casual/beginning) players around... thank you SO much for doing this guide and keeping things up-to-date!

Looking forward to the next league, and will be starting it off with your build :)

Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback.

Let's see what 3.19 brings - there is a realistic chance that both the Champion ascendancy and other defensive layers such as the Determination + Defiance Banner + Vitality combination might receive a nerf. Nevertheless, I expect the build to function as a great starting point for new players and I will update the build for 3.19, of course. And maybe it will gain some damage (fingers crossed :P)
Hey Fezz, I'm now getting around to writing some feedback at the end of the league. Thanks very much for this guide, it was great and useful, and while I haven't used it to the final endgame stages, I have seen it through most of the way and found it very helpful. For context, I've really only played one other league, Harvest, to level 85 on an ED-C Trickster in SSF, so it was very different.

Starting from a baseline that the guide is very good, and helpful for getting off the ground, the one thing I would add on the whole is to explain WHY you're saying people should do certain things or take certain steps. You could even make the "why" into little expandable info boxes. But I think that can help expand people's game knowledge as they go along. In many places you do, but in others it feels like you're sometimes saying "do X", and there is a thoughtful game reason to it, but it doesn't come through. The example that springs to mind is in crafting an endgame bow, when you run through the steps without explain why to add certain master mods, for example (e.g., as I understand it, it leaves only one possibility left, the outcome you want.) It also came up at various points in the acts - explaining why making the switch to something. To be clear, in other places you do a great job explaining why, for instance in explaining when to drop Vitality and go to Grace. So I don't mean to say you haven't done this, only that it could be expanded.

Related, in some of the acts, especially in Part 2, the guide checks out a bit and just recommends people run through the acts. That's fine, of course, but it could be a good time to insert even one or two pieces of game information. For instance, explaining Syndicate when that is introduced, or talking about the mechanics of a difficult boss and teaching people how to use dash skills to avoid certain attacks. I understand that's not quite what the build is going for, and it would be more work, but I really think that would have good synergy with what you're trying to do.

Another thing I think you could do is to help new players understand the progression slow down that happens around level 85, where suddenly passive points are much fewer. Explaining that the last ~10 points will come more slowly, and that they should understand those aren't essential to the build ,but that they shouldn't specifically plan around using all the points.

Also - it's worth explaining in some form the plateau that people will hit when they start having to grind a lot more maps in order to get the currency and items they need to advance.

Despite the above, I just want to emphasize this is a great guide. As a second time player, following it has helped me at each stage, working through the acts, progressing a build, and gearing for the end game. I've filled my Atlas, I'm working on Elder and Shaper guardians and Conquerors, and I'm going to take a shot at all the T16 bosses (Elder, Shaper, pinacle, Maven) before the end of the league. I've hit the plateau of gearing, and realistically i'm not going to manage to get all the endgame gear (not enough currency at this point) but I can see where to go from here. Thank you very much for the guide!!!
"
Kongquistador wrote:
Hey Fezz, I'm now getting around to writing some feedback at the end of the league. Thanks very much for this guide, it was great and useful, and while I haven't used it to the final endgame stages, I have seen it through most of the way and found it very helpful. For context, I've really only played one other league, Harvest, to level 85 on an ED-C Trickster in SSF, so it was very different.

Starting from a baseline that the guide is very good, and helpful for getting off the ground, the one thing I would add on the whole is to explain WHY you're saying people should do certain things or take certain steps. You could even make the "why" into little expandable info boxes. But I think that can help expand people's game knowledge as they go along. In many places you do, but in others it feels like you're sometimes saying "do X", and there is a thoughtful game reason to it, but it doesn't come through. The example that springs to mind is in crafting an endgame bow, when you run through the steps without explain why to add certain master mods, for example (e.g., as I understand it, it leaves only one possibility left, the outcome you want.) It also came up at various points in the acts - explaining why making the switch to something. To be clear, in other places you do a great job explaining why, for instance in explaining when to drop Vitality and go to Grace. So I don't mean to say you haven't done this, only that it could be expanded.

Related, in some of the acts, especially in Part 2, the guide checks out a bit and just recommends people run through the acts. That's fine, of course, but it could be a good time to insert even one or two pieces of game information. For instance, explaining Syndicate when that is introduced, or talking about the mechanics of a difficult boss and teaching people how to use dash skills to avoid certain attacks. I understand that's not quite what the build is going for, and it would be more work, but I really think that would have good synergy with what you're trying to do.

Another thing I think you could do is to help new players understand the progression slow down that happens around level 85, where suddenly passive points are much fewer. Explaining that the last ~10 points will come more slowly, and that they should understand those aren't essential to the build ,but that they shouldn't specifically plan around using all the points.

Also - it's worth explaining in some form the plateau that people will hit when they start having to grind a lot more maps in order to get the currency and items they need to advance.

Despite the above, I just want to emphasize this is a great guide. As a second time player, following it has helped me at each stage, working through the acts, progressing a build, and gearing for the end game. I've filled my Atlas, I'm working on Elder and Shaper guardians and Conquerors, and I'm going to take a shot at all the T16 bosses (Elder, Shaper, pinacle, Maven) before the end of the league. I've hit the plateau of gearing, and realistically i'm not going to manage to get all the endgame gear (not enough currency at this point) but I can see where to go from here. Thank you very much for the guide!!!

Hey mate, thanks a lot for this very detailed feedback. I will take some things from it into consideration when updating the build guide for 3.19.

In my opinion, some points you metioned belong to the area of things which new players should experience themselves, especially if it's not important for the build itself. To give the same example as you did: In terms of the build, the Syndicate becomes relevant if you want to get the two relevant crafts (Chaos DoT + Life as Extra ES) and the guide tells you how to get these specific crafts. Explaining the whole Syndicate would be counterproductive in terms of the build's progression and would ultimately slow a new player down - which isn't beneficial.

Anyway, I will take your feedback into consideration!
Hello Fezz.

First and foremost, thanks a lot for your guide. I am very new to the game. I've put in about 30 hours so far, but I have had to restart because I get lost following other peoples' builds online. Yours is the closest thing to a step-by-step that I can find. Anyway, I know the league is ending soon but I'm committing myself to this build...that way I can at least get a good start in the next league.

I did have a question: I am in Act 1 and level 13, working on the quest The Way Forward. The way I am reading the POB passive skill tree, it says to take the Bow Damage with the chance to gain phasing on kill—but on the step-by-step guide, it says I will not be using a bow until level 33. Is this intentional?

I think maybe it is good to get them now because of how exp scaling at the higher level works? Is this correct? I am just following at the bottom of the "Tree" tab in POB, where it says [3.17]1, 2, 3, as I go.

Anyway, I can't tell you how much I really appreciate your hard work. It's made me feel like I'm being useful with my time even if I am going a little slow. I hope I am following it correctly, and I will try my best to make you proud! Cheers.
Last edited by a_poitato on Jul 26, 2022, 9:38:04 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info