Bestiary Farming and the Menagerie: Issues My Last attempt at this getting looked at

I posted this thread well over 2 yrr ago; and then again here https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3028401 but now with it being inactive no one can bump/reply. With the introduction of the atlas ascendancy and being able to capture beasts with more frequency and even increased amounts this really needs to addressed.

We need a better way of telling what types are approaching the limit and a way of CLEARING the entire menagerie. Rather by genus type of something but spending 1k's of chaos and lots of time sealing isn't productive.

My thread posted back in June of 2019
---------------------------------------------

the tl;dr - The "XX in Storage" would be perfect if it read "XX in Storage out of XX Limit"

I've been hard farming Bestiary since Bestiary League and the introduction of Einhar in the Core game; as well as using all of the various scarabs in T13+ maps so I have access to the full range of available beasts. This is a great way of farming Master Favour if you're into Hideouts like I am. Along this journey I always scratch me head with how exactly the menagerie works with the cap of beasts you can hold.

The Wiki is vague; and tbh this is almost impossible to decode -

===============
"Each sub-area containing between 9 and 16 pens which hold the collected monsters sorted by monster type. There are 44 pens all up. Each holding pen can hold between 5 monsters (e.g. Amphibians->Gem Frogs) and 56 monsters (Arachnids->Spiders), depending on the pen."

"3.5.0 There is now a global capture limit of 1000 beasts, rather than a per-genus limit. The previous total maximum was approximately 680, though most players were likely to hit genus-specific limits."
===============

So with quick maths we conclude that sub-area; ie "The Wilds" has 9-16 pens; sort those by type ie "Felines/Primates/Canines/Ursae/Unnaturals" Each of the said pens...in this case 5 pens for Wilds can hold between 5-56 monsters. You would think that though right...5 pens since there's 5 "genus?" types? Well going into the area I count 15 pens. Each "pen" according to the Wiki can hold between 5-56 monsters. So lets go with the low end; 15x5 = 65. High end 15x56=840.

The next line states 1000 hard cap. So I assume this works 2 ways; you rather hit 1k monsters total...OR you hit the pen cap issue if well under 1k total.

My issue is the following and if ANYONE has exact numbers/info on this I would be very grateful. There are numerous times where some members in the group upon capturing, for example a Craicic Chimeral, won't get it.

Sometimes I share my dailies and make sure to enter the map; take 1 step to break the "grace" period and then send 1 person out to kill the beasts while the others hit H; goto the beast tab...select the "captured beasts" and type "asdfasdfas" in the filter so ONLY the new captured beasts show up. This makes for easy call outs; like "We just got a Farric Wolf" etc.

I have tested the grace period / aggro. If you aggro the beast and you're not in the map; you don't get it. Well that was until THIS league. Literally I'vehad a Tiger boss...someone comes in and literally STEALS the capture from for me that I was in the middle of killing and capturing. This is new as of this league. Before it was easy; just don't agro it until everyone is in the map; and make sure to break the 20second grace period.

So many oddities in this farming method and its driving me insane trying to figure out capture limits and why some beasts don't show and how some beasts can literally get stolen from some.

Every time I run into this issue I do a count of ALL beasts...usually way under the 1k cap. This just happened today and the member that lost the beast had 710 total.

Conclusion -

The Bestiary menu needs a major overhaul with more information on beast limits. Even going into the sub areas; how are we to discern the cap for each pen? The pop up menu about your limit is getting close is not enough. Orbs being 1c each and just spam sealing, and then running into the problem of overflow of trash red beasts makes this farm so much more of a headache over the course of a league than needs to be.

A simple cap count would make things simple and take the guess work out of this. The "XX in Storage" would be perfect if it read "XX in storage out of XX" I'm so happy it's here and just want this great content to be easier to understand for all that partake; even if it's just through dailies and random master sightings.

Praise Einhar!

BigJimSlade
"Actually as the #1 Slayer's Banker..."
"Actually as the #1 Guardian's Banker..."
Last edited by indeed317 on Dec 25, 2021, 3:59:15 PM
Last bumped on Jun 25, 2023, 11:57:21 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
GGG, I've come to bargain
second this, please update the menagerie.
Very cool mirror Service: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3227915
b
- remove menagerie
- add crafts to crafting bench (yes, it's possible)
- only keep the few meaningful crafts
- make beast-quantity unlimited
- putting beasts into orbs must be simple and easy to understand

two other good threads regarding beasts:

- https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3396567/page/1#p25009111
- https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3400284
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646
Last edited by Antigegner on Jun 19, 2023, 8:34:43 PM
agree, although some of the beast crafts are really good, bestiary overall is a confusing mess. The game also provides next to no information on what beast gives which craft, almost always have to look that up externally. Putting beasts into orbs is also very confusing and unintuitive. I doubt most players even use bestiary beyond flask crafting. All the good recipes could easily be moved to the crafting bench with similar cost as the meta-crafts.
Yes something needs to be done about it, its clunky as hell to use.
Beast flask crafting needs more updated suffixes. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
bump
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646
b

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info