Fps drops+Shader bar spikes

Since yesterday i got this problem too. Game did run really smooth. I switched my Atlas skills from Blight´s to Abyss and Delirium and suddenly i get Shader spikes all the time, but even worse while doing a Delirium. Tried a few things to help against it yesterday but nothing worked it still gets stuck over and over. CPU GPU go from 6-8ms up to 15-20, Latency stays at 30-40, the Fps it shows only drops a little to like 55-58, but in real the game stutters like something broke hard. Only the "shader" spikes around alot.

I have no idea what to do :/ caused quite a few deaths and lost hours of farming xp ..
Last edited by Chuter on Jul 2, 2023, 6:08:02 PM
"
Tortorion wrote:
"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPhQFsPgvA8

specifications:
CPU - Intel Core i5 4400
GPU - Nvidia Geforce gtx 970
16gb RAM
Game installed on new SSD
Have this problem since 3.14, tried to clean all poe cache, reinstalling game, tried steam and standalone versions.

Always try stuff 1 by 1, run few maps, if doesn't help then try another solution.

1) If your main disk was always slow HDD and you installed PoE on faster SSD, you want to move PoE's shader cache location to SSD too.

Go to: C:\Users\Your.Username\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile

Open: production_config.ini with Notepad.

Edit line: cache_directory=C:/Users/YourUsername/AppData/Roaming/Path of Exile/

Set that directory to where you want it to be, on your SSD.

2) Clearing cache over and over is a bad idea, it will clear by itself every new league, that means every league start the shaders will be rebuilding.

3) (I fixed my game few hours ago with this, I have main HDD 1TB and 256GB SSD) NVidia Shader Cache may cause the same problems. A bit more complicated since users cannot manually change the shader folder location, so I had to make a junction link with "mklink" command to for a DXCache and GLCache folders (these 2 seems enough for me). I found new NVidia Shader Cache location and the idea to make a juction link from this reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/q6m3lj/comment/hggwbdn/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

So I created my account in 2015.

I can't remember how long I have been having issues, but it's been years.

I have tried probably 20 things roughly to fix shader lag, even after first load ups.

Sometimes it wasn't that bad, but still annoyed me.

Recently after coming back to the game I decided to try some other things like a ramdisk.

Then I changed some settings also, deleted the roaming data folder again, and so on,... something got twisted it was worse than ever so I reset everything, and thought let's do one more search, and came across this forum topic,...

Thought NO way this will help since I run everything on three Samsung Pro SSD's already,...

Fuk it,... it's something new to try so let's do it,...

ISSUES RESOLVED!!!

I don't think the stand alone game client liked that the operating system is on one SSD., and I have another massive one for all my games,... the lag spike was actually the game retrieving shader files from the other SSD. So it was actually as bad, or worse even after encountering shit for the first time on a new client.

Guess it just doesn't like that set-up. NO issues with other games.

Did what you said after deleting the roaming data folder once more, and been running clean since. Simply edited that line to a folder I created on my gaming SSD. >>> Edit line: cache_directory=C:/Users/YourUsername/AppData/Roaming/Path of Exile/

Get some small spikes when encountering things for the very first time, but after that when using a new client, and encountering the same things, and areas again,... I wouldn't even know except I see it reading shaders from the drive on the F1 window.

Thanks, Chuter.

PoE FTW!
Last edited by Chuter on Jul 2, 2023, 6:11:26 PM
What if i have no cache_directory=C:/Users/YourUsername/AppData/Roaming/Path of Exile/ line in my settings?
"
saninn1 wrote:
What if i have no cache_directory=C:/Users/YourUsername/AppData/Roaming/Path of Exile/ line in my settings?
Same i dont have cache directory
"

Games have their own default settings. What is in your config is the data that overrides it.
So it's not like you ran game without this line. It is just not overridden.
"End of March makes 3 months and 21 days which is almost 4 months and not 3 1/2, get your math right hoho."
Last edited by Dxt44 on Aug 18, 2023, 5:33:40 AM
Hello friends, i've tried something that actually worked out for me.
Delete de shader cache of nvidia, amd and path of exile, like previously mentioned by other people on this forum, and later try this fix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d037DO1wNUw&t=77s

Long story short you move de shadercache to a new drive letter with a program called Imdisk, then use a .bat file to transfer de cache locations to that new disk volume.
I hope it works for you all, just try what this awesome guy did on the video.
back to TotA now o/
Thank you, I added this flag to the config in Generals and it immediately created all the folders on another disk and I don’t have to struggle with the program and create batch files and the friezes are also gone
cache_directory=
It is even better if you point the cache directory straight to POE servers.

cache_directory=https://www.pathofexile.com

I have now 300fps in Simulacrum!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for FIX!!!
"End of March makes 3 months and 21 days which is almost 4 months and not 3 1/2, get your math right hoho."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info