Are loot boxes legal? Is it one of the main money source from GGG?

Please don't defend the idea of loot boxes.

Sure, you could argue that PoE does it 'better' than other games, by:
- Strictly MTX
- Making the odds clear.
- Making every MTX in the box available for everyone after a while.

But it's still a predatory system. I'm not going to demand that they should be illegal, but I do think companies should be 'morally better' and stay away from shit like this. Maybe that will never happen until they becomes illegal. Anyhow:

Fuck loot boxes.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Oct 15, 2021, 5:59:11 AM
I think the trade of NFT's and crypto are far more suspect.
(let the buyer beware...)

loot boxes are a cosmetic "improvement" to a players
experience in a game they have already invested in.

loot boxes are not even shady or immoral. no pay to win
no fraud? no moral quandary.

go get it GGG.
"
AgnosiousD wrote:
I think the trade of NFT's and crypto are far more suspect.
(let the buyer beware...)

loot boxes are a cosmetic "improvement" to a players
experience in a game they have already invested in.

loot boxes are not even shady or immoral. no pay to win
no fraud? no moral quandary.

go get it GGG.

ya poe lootboxes are fine

i dont like them,but

-they give you the exact odds of the mtx you could get
-they arent tradeable
-mtx gets added toi the store later

and the most important

- you can block yourself from lootboxes by just writing to the support

ppl go so mad about gambling,but buying legal drugs (alcohol or other things allowed in your country)
alcohol can ruin lives very easily as well and it adds a health ptoblems on top of it

Loot boxes are legal in most countries however many have stated that in order to be legal they need to state the numerical chance of each outcomes and must be 18+.

It's odd to me GGG bothers to use terms like "Low" or "High" in their loot box tables because it's legally required in China to use the numeric value and somewhere you can find those values.

Warframe did this but they got out ahead of it and showed the drop rates like 3 months before the law was passed. These were drop rates, not even loot boxes so they act like it's a service to players.
"Never trust floating women." -Officer Kirac
"
raics wrote:

That isn't really the case, as you need three basic things to make a gamble, element of chance, a win of value and a wager. There's no chance involved in buying a game or paying subscription

There's no chance in buying a game? I mean I don't feel like you've thought this through at even a basic level in your haste to try and argue. Anyway if you can't see the chance; I don't think my time is well spent explaining the obvious.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
i wouldnt want to see loot boxes gone ... but i do think they should allow some sort of use for duplicated items.. or some salave shit tons of duplicate to guarantee 1 specific item in case you had bad luck
"
NoyAvargel wrote:
i wouldnt want to see loot boxes gone ... but i do think they should allow some sort of use for duplicated items.. or some salave shit tons of duplicate to guarantee 1 specific item in case you had bad luck

this would mean a change in boxprice though

i´m not saying it would be better or worse
"
vio wrote:

there is nothing the european gov can do if ggg doesn't have a office in europe. well, except closing down their european servers. do we want that?

The privacy laws of NZ are pretty strict as well and dont stop at their border.
I don't know what some of you are on about - for example - a non American company doing business in America can very much be sued in America based on American laws - because they do business here (MS has paid billions to Europe over judgements against them even thought MS is an American Company - actually, not like Google who pretends that it is Irish or something).

If the US were to outlaw loot boxes or require the rating change to 18+ = it doesn't matter that GGG is NV and owned by a China company, for sales in the US the change has to be made OR you will be blocked from selling in the US.

Anyway - people who ride the "personal responsibility" trains are frequently divorced from reality and plenty of data. All of these things are designed to tick the same parts of the brain that slot machines and gambling hit, and they ere is zero regulation for it.

In most cases people don't like it - but some turn a blind eye to the "it's just cosmetic" (there are serious issues with this thinking).

Anyway - Whatever laws change around the world - GGG will follow suit, possibly making changes for everyone OR just for those regions (whichever is cheaper/costs the least long term).
"
ciel289 wrote:
"
NoyAvargel wrote:

this would mean a change in boxprice though

i´m not saying it would be better or worse

Doesnt have to.. If you sacrifice 20-50 duplicates for 1 item thats not gonnamake loot boxes too easy

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info