Been playing Last Epoch and Wolcen recently. Anyone else?

At the end game in both now. Gotta say they have gotten better. Neither as polished as poe of course. But Last epoch has deterministic crafting and a damn solid end game grind.
Wolcen end game is pretty stale but the combat is crazy fun.
They are both looking pretty good with poe making so many poor design choices (at least in my eyes)

Anyone else playing either?
(سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س
Last bumped on Nov 6, 2021, 5:13:42 AM
I'd play a lot more Wolcen were I not on PC gaming hiatus. A console version would be fucking rad but they haven't even got controller support yet. As you said, the combat, the *play itself*, is crazy fun and I love all the elemental variations for the skills. The weirdass modifiers turning a base cold meteor into a literal rain of blood, or the way you can hold the turret and use it like a minigun. I love that basic attacks have meaning and purpose, something I know some GGG devs lament about PoE's lack of. And I love the random dungeon mode you can play from scratch instead of having to do the story over and again. Anyway yeah, id def play a lot of Wolcen were I not playing a lot of TQLE on tablet+controller and D2R with friends on ps5 semi regularly.

As for Last Epoch, pc gaming break aside, I find it hits me with the same surprising dull rhud that Grim Dawn did. It has all the ingredients for a great arpg but something in the way it's cooked just leaves me unmotivated to play it unless I set aside all else and make a real effort. Fun enough but not something I want to play when I am not playing it.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Oct 11, 2021, 1:39:13 AM
I really like the "each skill has a skill tree" thing in Last Epoch; very much enjoying building characters, though the fact that you only get to use the trees on five skills is a shame. The campaign needs some editing, it's a bit of a slog in places, and the story is pretty aimless, it never really feels like you've achieved anything. Looking forward to seeing further progress.

Wolcen is more technically impressive and combat flows more smoothly than most in the genre, but it could really use more skills, especially with the weapon restrictions locking down which ones you can use.
"
RitualMurder wrote:
But Last epoch has deterministic crafting and a damn solid end game grind.

have been tempted to try last epoch but it has no multiplayer so i can't get my friends in.

of course it's able to throw deterministic crafting and all the fun stuff at players because there are no consequences for other players.

it's funny how their devs think that a game can have multiplayer added to it later on like a feature instead of the game being needed to be designed for multiplayer from the get go.

they will likely lose half their playerbase after the needed "adjustments" to crafting and everything else or have half the crafting items being account bound.

nonetheless, it's interesting to watch :)
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
"
RitualMurder wrote:
But Last epoch has deterministic crafting and a damn solid end game grind.

have been tempted to try last epoch but it has no multiplayer so i can't get my friends in.

of course it's able to throw deterministic crafting and all the fun stuff at players because there are no consequences for other players.

it's funny how their devs think that a game can have multiplayer added to it later on like a feature instead of the game being needed to be designed for multiplayer from the get go.

they will likely lose half their playerbase after the needed "adjustments" to crafting and everything else or have half the crafting items being account bound.

nonetheless, it's interesting to watch :)

Implementing multiplayer and market place/auction house with the current crafting seems like an afterthought indeed.

It is not like the game is hard when you can easily overgear the content and make even bad skills work. Like Harvest but in case of LE on roids big time.

If you never played LE i guarantee you would have enough affix shards by half the campaign to item edit any slot of your character and have enough spare ones for a second or 3rd twink, considering you can shatter affixes (= extracting and storing for later usage) from NPC shops as well.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Oct 11, 2021, 8:29:24 AM
"
gandhar0 wrote:

It is not like the game is hard when you can easily overgear the content and make even bad skills work. Like Harvest but in case of LE on roids big time.

personally, in LE i would probably wish gearing would be more difficult and in poe i wish it could be a bit easier.

to be precise, what every player likely wants in games is to gear as easily as possible but have all others struggle :)
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
I really don't like the crafting in LE. "Here's a big list of the mods you can afford, pick the ones you want" is just so bland.
I waiting to play Last Epoch for when i go back to Linux, has native support in steam
"
I really don't like the crafting in LE. "Here's a big list of the mods you can afford, pick the ones you want" is just so bland.

But getting high tier affixes isn't easy. Sure you can get the mods you want but you can fracture ur item and be stuck with low tier mods.

I actually find myself looking at magic items hoping for 2 high tier mods so I can craft 2 more without fracturing my item.

I like it.
(سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س
"Been playing Last Epoch and Wolcen recently. Anyone else?"

Not recently, no, but I've played both.
Some stylistic things notwithstanding I generally liked Wolcen, but when I played it it still wasn't finished IMO (it was after the official release), so when the story was over it left a strange sense of incompleteness.

Last Epoch is strange. I helped kickstart it back in the day and I actually liked it. The inbuilt skill tree for every skill is a cool concept. However, I don't particularly like playing it. I just can't really get into it. One thing I can put my finger on is itemization. I don't get it (yet) but because of that, I'm not really motivated to try and figure it out. It's a bit like Foreverhappychan described Grim Dawn (couldn't get into that, neither). All the right ingredients, but... meh.

However, I give it a spin every now and then.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info