Windows 11 Discussion Thread

Rollout is scheduled for October 5th. However plenty of people have been able to give it a try already via the Insiders program. So here's a thread to discuss it

Is it good? Is it bad? Is it just a load of hot air? Will it magically let your run Crysis at max settings? Will it make Cortana sexy, or at least tolerable?

Here's the minimum system requirements btw -

Processor: 64-bit architecture at 1 GHz or faster; Intel: eight-generation or newer; AMD Ryzen 3 or better; Qualcomm Snapdragon 7c or higher
RAM: 4 GB or higher
Storage: 64 GB or larger storage device
System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable
TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0
Graphics card: Direct X12 or later capable; WDDM 2.0 driver or newer
Display: High-def (720p) display, larger than 9″ diagonal in size, 8 bits per colour channel (or better)
Last bumped on Nov 18, 2021, 2:10:19 PM
When MS ends support for Windows 10, I'm moving 100% to Linux.
Any signature worth using is against the rules. Therefore, no signature will be found here.
"
Exile009 wrote:
Is it good? Is it bad? Is it just a load of hot air?
It's fine. The UI is a bit cleaner, and the Start menu and such are definitely improved (better organized, less junk, less empty space). Why Widgets needed to make a comeback is quite beyond me though.

Virtual desktops are much improved. Far less clunky to set up, and some nice new features and usability upgrades. Probably not a big deal for most, but it is something I make use of.

Gaming has been mostly the same for me so far. Maybe slightly improved load times for a few things, but no huge difference. I'm on a pretty high-end system though, so that's likely why. Auto-HDR is nice.

"
Exile009 wrote:
Will it magically let your run Crysis at max settings?
Lol...

"
Exile009 wrote:
Will it make Cortana sexy, or at least tolerable?
Cortana is pretty much MIA unless you decide to turn her on manually. I haven't and have no intention of doing so.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
I don´t care about it, until it is actually out and officially released.
"
Kundarin wrote:
I don´t care about it, until it is actually out and officially released.

Release was on October 5th. It's been out for a while already...
i just don't see a reason for now, everything on my pc runs fine as is with windows 10, ill upgrade eventually but i am in no rush.
As a matter of fact i think it's always good to w8 a few months with stuff like this.
It's ok to be white

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.”

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
"
The_Impeacher wrote:
When MS ends support for Windows 10, I'm moving 100% to Linux.

I was thinking about that, too. It might be a good idea to install it soon (next to Win 10) to gain some experience, see what is necessary to play some games etc., before I must rely on it.

I have already seen YT-Videos for PoE/Linux that looked fine.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQJzi0l8aP0

I really don´t like what big companies do nowadays, where algorithms lead you too (in more than one way). Always seems to me like legalized crime.

And I don´t really want to be forced to turn of any surveillance software manually to get good fps and less lags like I had to with Win 10.
obey - consume - marry and reproduce - submit - watch t.v. - trust the internet - conform - do not question authority - sleep - buy - do not think - die

Force always attracts men of low morality. - Albert Einstein
Last edited by ___Hengist___ on Oct 11, 2021, 8:19:44 AM
Zorin OS is pretty slick. It's surprising just how many windows apps and games run via Wine. I couldn't get Affinity Designer to work, but the native Linux alternatives have become excellent in recent years.

Micro$oft has bungled this badly and left the door wide open.

Path of Exile (and all other games) compatibility reports here: https://www.protondb.com/app/238960
Any signature worth using is against the rules. Therefore, no signature will be found here.
Last edited by The_Impeacher on Oct 11, 2021, 11:46:01 AM
"
The_Impeacher wrote:
Zorin OS is pretty slick. It's surprising just how many windows apps and games run via Wine. I couldn't get Affinity Designer to work, but the native Linux alternatives have become excellent in recent years.

Micro$oft has bungled this badly and left the door wide open.

Path of Exile (and all other games) compatibility reports here: https://www.protondb.com/app/238960

Two things i didnt like about Zorin, windows key brings up a search menu instead of start menu and you cannot make desktop a solid color (I like black). I still like Peppermint best

TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0

Why does microsoft need core access to our computers?

I tried to install a bootleg on an old i7 and it wouldnt, not even gonna worry about it.

Vulcan will bring an end to microsoft for most gamers
Mint is a great one, for sure. Here's a pretty decent video about Linux gaming featuring POP OS. But the same can be done through plenty of other distros too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCQDAXyNkCo

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info