Mjolner FireCoC - an ethical Tankyboi

Greetings Exiles

3.17 Update: Not much has changed - neither defenses nor offense numbers have changed significantly. The only major change is that we now use awakened Cast on Crit in the main link set-up and need a tiny bit more attack speed to get below the .15 attacks/sec threshold. Mjolner now triggers almost half as often, but the base spells do more damage. I think dps will be slightly lower in general because of this, but it shouldn't be more than 5-8% dps loss.

There are a bunch of new uniques that can do crazy stuff, if you've got the budget.

Scourge Vids:
Full Video Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nnS3_CL4mc&t=3s
Full Feared and Minotaur Map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5_1Hbzm8wM&t=159s

Build has now completed all content, including The Feared bosses released at once. Completed 30 waves of simulacrum deathless the two times I've tested with new gear, and can tank both bosses at once. My set up is more focused on tankiness, but slight tree changes can give you more dps.

My Endgame PoB: https://pastebin.com/xucj1fvn

Low-Budget Version (7ex week 4 of Scourge, with all prices listed): https://pastebin.com/umx6VEC7

Great all-rounder build with extremely high ceiling and variability.

This build will live through almost everything while still dishing out reasonable dps. It is not the fastest bosser or mapper, but it does the job unkillably well regardless. Check feared and mino map showcase to get an idea of the dps and speed.

Only death with current gear is all bosses released at once in Feared with extra projectiles. No Scourge mods, 250+ scourge stacks, or 100% delirium have killed me with full gear.

Bossing: 9/10 // All deathless, but no insane dps
Map Clear: 6.5/10 // 9/10 if you use asenath's and tailwind boots.
Scourging: 10/10 // Can do all Scourge map mods with enough investment
Simulacrum: 8/10 // Does 30 deathless always, but mods can make dps quite low
Delve: 10/10 // Darkness does little damage vs regen, great tileset
Hiest: 10/10 // Life on Block and Armour make Hiest a breeze
Blight: 2/10 // Won't die, but very poor open map clear.
Budget: 4/10 // Less than 10ex to start, but other builds can do Feared for much cheaper.

Video Guide:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOqMLr6fXiA&lc=Ugz0FQaBbhkqYvJkiQV4AaABAg

Overview

This build using the Leadership’s price amulet to gain alternate ailment conflux, which gives huge offensive and defensive power. Because Inquisitor is great at stacking Strength and Int, and has powerful regen nodes, this makes going mjolner and RF easy, and having equal STR and INT (required by the amulet) is powerful for getting more crit from the ascendancy.

My current version of the build has:

4-7mil dps (mine's sitting at about 5 as I focused exclusively on tankiness)
6+k max HP (with 49% reserved with petrified blood)
3.3k ES
88% fire / 87% cold / 85% lightning resistance
70%/74% block with 5% life recovery shield
20% Sap, 15% phys taken as fire (+15% taken as cold with Taste of Hate)
Freeze, Chill, Shock immune
25k+ Armour without flasks

Pros

Large EHP pool
Petrified Blood
Great recovery (regen and block)
Ok for all map mods except no regen and reflect (but you can respec elemental mastery and pantheon to tackle necessary reflect maps/zones)
Cyclone playstyle

Cons

Melee
Hard to get enough res, chaos res, and dex on gear
Not league-start friendly
Balancing attributes makes gearing difficult
Balancing attributes is like dumping Divine orbs down a garbage disposal
Not many ways to get more than 5mil dps (which makes The Feared difficult)
Cyclone Playstyle

Mechanics

Leadership’s Price is the foundation of this build. This amulet removes your ability to inflict regular ailments (but your minions, i.e. skitterbots, can still apply them) *and* requires you to have your highest two attributes equal. In exchange, you get up to +3% max fire, cold, and lightning res, and gives you scorch, brittle, and sapping conflux. 2ex versions of this amulet can give +3% max fire res, and +3% split to other resistances (a perfect rolled one is anywhere from 30-80ex).

Brittle is arguably the best of these, giving +15% *base* critical strike chance to all attacks and spells
Sap makes enemies deal 20% less damage
Scorch reduces enemy resistances by 30%
Conflux means that your hits *always* apply these ailments (even vs map mods that say %chance to avoid ailments)

Because our top two attributes need to be equal to gain this conflux and we are using Mjolner, our Strength and Intelligence need to be equalized (above 412, Mjolner’s strength requirement). This requires a lot of finicky gearing, and finding high strength rolls on many gear pieces, but is definitely worth it, especially when you add in the increased crit chance from Inquisitor’s Righteous Providence ascendancy (1% increased crit chance per strength or intelligence, whichever is lower).

Pious Path, another Inquisitor Ascendancy node, makes your life regen apply to your ES regen. This wording underplays the actual effect. It should read “regenerate your ES equal to the value of your life regeneration”. In other words, if you regen 10% of your 5000hp (500 life per second), you will also regen 500 ES, regardless of your total ES value. Combining this effect with the Corrupted Soul keystone from a Doryani Vaal timeless jewel (50% of damage bypasses your ES), this means that you effectively split damage among two health pools, both regenerating at high rates. This high recovery rate allows for easily running Righteous Fire (+39% more damage), especially when combined with the +3% max fire res from the Leadership’s Price amulet. To further stack damage and take advantage of our extremely high rate of recovery, we can use Petrified Blood (take 40% of damage as a degen instead) and Pain Attunement (+30% more damage).

Ascendancies:

Righteous Providence, Sanctuary, Pious Path, Instruments of Virtue
These first three nodes are essential for the build to function. The remaining node I choose is Instruments of Virtue, as Battlemage with Mjolner and the high damage effectiveness of Wave of Conviction (240%) and Purifying Flame (200%) have almost 30% MORE damage using the flat physical damage from Mjolner. The only alternative is choosing Augury of Penitence: this choice only gives 10% more dps (as opposed to 30%), but makes nearby enemies deal 8% less Elemental Damage (equivalent to roughly 1% or 1.5% max res).

Passive Tree:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.15.3/AAAABQUBZQKWBAcEswY5Bx4I9A3NDkgRLRGWFm8XLxo4HM4c3B0UHwIfGCL0Jy8piyoLK1AsnC2pMPgy0TdHOtg9D0VHRv5JUUpAS9lMs1FgUftVS1XGVdZd8mHiZOdo8mpDa6xsC20ZcFJ713yDfLt90n_GgDCApIKbg9uD94nTjDaOZI8aj0aP-pBVkyeVLpshm26hL6IApwioua7_r42vp7b6tzi86r6KwGbGis0W0B_SfNWm34bjYuNq6-7v6_Af8NXzBvem-d360vuq_lQA

PoB: https://pastebin.com/F2JM7NLF

A Vaal Timeless Jewel (Doryani) is required, placed just below Mind over Matter, preferably with either fire leech, max fire res, or phys damage and %chance to deal double damage on the Arcanist’s Dominion notable by witch start (we path through that already, so try to make sure it’s good for this build).

This tree includes 1 cluster jewel set up, which is very important to allow you to get spell block capped. It is also necessary to get certain notables that give enormous benefits. There could be an argument for using 2 cluster jewels, but it would depend on having some very outstanding Megalomaniac unique medium cluster jewels. Look for:

Molten One’s Mark: +2% max fire res, +1% life regen
Wrapped in Flames: 20% fire damage, chill immunity while using RF, COVERS ENEMIES IN ASH (+20% fire damage taken).
Prismatic Dance/Carapace: +1% max all res
Enduring Carapace/focus: Endurance Charge Generation
Wish for Death: Culling Strike

If you can’t find/afford Megalomaniacs with multiple good notables, use a medium fire damage over time cluster jewel with Wrapped in Flames and any other increased fire damage notable, or use a curse effect medium cluster jewel with Wish for Death and Master of Fear.

Gems

Mjolner: Wave of Conviction - (awakenend) Added Fire Damage - (awakened) Elemental Focus

Chest: Cyclone - (Divergent) Cast on Crit - (Phantasmal) Purifying Flame - (awakened) Added Fire Damage - (awakened) Fire Penetration)

Helm: Arrogance Support - Herald of Ash - Vitality - Precision (as high level as you can without dropping below 50% life)

Gloves (+1 Corrupted): Petrified Blood - Tempest Shield - Determination - Enlighten (lv 3. lv 4 if not +1 gloves)

Shield: (Divergent) Righteous Fire - (Anomalous) Blood Rage - Defiance Banner

Boots: Frostblink - Vaal Molten Shell - Arcane Surge (lv 1) - Increased Duration

Gear:

Mainhand:
Spoiler

Mjolner, one key component of the build. This hammer triggers socketed lightning spells up to 6.6 times per second. Even though this build converts all damage to Fire using Avatar of Fire, Wave of Conviction still has the tag “lightning”. However, we get no benefit from the tag “lightning spells gain X% increased damage”.
Cost 20c
Fortify corrupt: 7ex

Offhand:
Spoiler

The most expensive required gear piece, you need at least the two mods, +2% to all maximum resistances and recover 5% of life when you block. A life roll, strength, and an open suffix (to craft chance to avoid ailments) are all extras to aim for.
Cost: 4-8ex

Amulet:
Spoiler

Leadership’s Price allows this build to work. A perfectly rolled one can cost from 30-80exalts, but I got a +3% fire res and +2% lightning res one for 1ex when I first rolled this build about 2 or 3 weeks into the league. This amulet drops from the unique Twins contract (a perfect roll has a 1/370 % chance of dropping). You should anoint it with Crystal Skin (1 Amber, 1 Black, 1 Silver, 1 Tainted Oil bc it’s corrupted) once you can afford it.

Gloves:
Spoiler

Painseekers. Try to get one with as high of roll as possible on the “inflict non-damaging ailments” mod as possible, preferably with a +1 level of socketed gems corruption. You can put a cheaper corrupted level 3 enlighten in here later to squeeze in more auras. The gloves themselves are 1-5c for decent rolls.

Rings:
Spoiler

Use an Essense of Hysteria on a fractured T1 life (70+) resistance ring. This guarantees that you keep the life roll, and get “10% of physical damage added as extra fire damage”. Use noxious catalysts to upgrade this to 12%. Other mods to look for are Strength, Accuracy, Dexterity, and any needed resistances. You most likely want at least one ring to have an open prefix to craft -7 Mana cost of skills. A decent ring will cost 1-3ex
Furthermore, ASAP buy a flammability on hit ring. Assassin’s Mark rings ruin your mana, but flammability rings do not. The base used in this build cost me 100c, but they can be more expensive. I would forgo one hysteria mod if you need to use a Warlord flammability curse ring instead.

Helmet:
Spoiler

Crown of the Inward Eye scales Life and ES, both stats we want to invest in. Furthermore, it is the easiest base to get the correct enchant on, “Consecrated ground created by Purifying Flame applied 9% increased damage taken to enemies”. Based on the wording, both the Sanctuary ascendancy node and this enchant should scale with increased effect of consecrated ground from the tree or from phantasmal Purifying Flame, but I haven’t tested it. If you have cash to spare, it’s not too hard to corrupt these, as the enchant on a decent base only costs around 50c-1ex.

Boots:
Spoiler

Crusader Boots can get +2% (+3% elevated) max fire res. Then just find some life, res, and strength. It's possible elusive or tailwind boots are better, but these boots were 1ex and I just never tried it otherwise since I needed the strength.

Belt:
Spoiler

Get Life, Resistances, and Strength. Hunter belts can roll “gain a flask charge on crit”, and are guaranteed to do so if you “reroll crit” with harvest. You can also find this mod on a watcher’s eye for Precision if you don’t have it here. Belts can also be enchanted by using a “Dedication to the Goddess” acquired through harvest (good enchants include “30% reduced effect of curses while on consecrated ground”, “30% reduced crit chance to blinded enemies”, “15% increased Area of Effect while you have Arcane Surge”, and “20% chance to Avoid Elemental Ailments while you have Elusive” if you have elusive boots.
This belt cost 10ex as is, but one without the flask or % life mod is 1ex.

Chest:
Spoiler

There are no real required mods on chest pieces, so it is up to your preference. I chose an elevated warlord %all res mod to get +1% to all maximum resistances, combined with the elevated shaper suffix 9-12% increased intelligence and +1 to socketed Intelligence gems (though was tempted by warlord endurance charge when hit suffix too). Awakening these two mods together lets you control your prefixes much easier. We don’t need any extra crit from hunter, shaper, or elder mods, so that cheapens the build significantly. If you want to craft this chest piece, Woke orb the two elevated suffix mods together, then craft suffixes can’t be changed on the outcome. Use harvest to reroll with fire to guarantee the “physical damage taken as extra fire” mod. Then craft suffixes can’t be changed again and use T4 Ailsling in Betrayal to remove the crafted mod and add on either “gain 12% of life as extra maximum ES”, or “30% chance to avoid Ailments and Stun”. Then benchcraft whichever you didn’t get.
The average cost of this process is:
2ex for 6l split warlord base.
50c for T1 % increased int and T1 spell crit crap base (get spell crit so if you miss your maven orb, you can sell for profit).
10ex for 2 maven orbs (sell your failed outcomes for profit--elevated attack crit for warlord, or spell crit for shaper. You will literally make money by failing)
3ex average to get T1 phys taken as fire (50% t1, 50% t2)
5ex for suffix can’t be changed craft and T4 Ailsling roll.
4ex average for redoing costs (50% chance for Aisling to remove phys taken as fire mod, needing to repeat last 2 steps)
6c final benchcraft.
Total: 24.3ex average cost – not including the 3-5ex average profit from failing a maven orb

Explody
Spoiler

Theoretically, an explody chest should be insane, since the ailment conflux should apply to explosions (15% base crit), and the righteous providence 400% crit bonus is global, so it should all but guarantee that the explosions crit, apply flammablity and scorch for -60% res. If you want to craft this chest, you'll need to invest a little into AoE. To craft I would use the explosion mod with an elevated hunter life regen prefix (25% regen for 1 second every 4 seconds) or hunter extra curse.

Flasks:
Spoiler

Enduring Hybrid flask for mana issues. Combine with the Ryslatha pantheon for extra life regen and flask charges vs bosses
Taste of Hate: either no enchant, or reduced charges or 50% increased effect enchant from enkindling orbs.
Quicksilver: increased duration or reduced required charges. Suffix what you need, but I like increased accuracy. Enchanted with instilling orb for active on full charges
Amathyst or Granite Flask: increased duration or reduced required charges. Suffix what you need, but I use spell damage leeched as ES. Enchanted with instilling orb for active on adjacent flask use.
Iron Flask: Alchemists prefix for increased effect. Dousing Suffix to remove ignite and burning (righteous fire). Enchant with “active on savage hit” instilling orbs. This is an extremely useful flask set-up to have. Taking a big hit will turn off your RF, giving you increased regen to help counter the degen from Petrified Blood. The removal of RF is also a super helpful visual cue to blink out for a few seconds to allow your bug degen to run out. Imagine, *visual clarity* in poe…

Jewels:
Spoiler

Timeless Jewel:
Spoiler

A Doryani Timeless Jewel is required for this build, as it is the only way to acquire the Corrupted Soul Keystone (50% of damage bypasses ES). This jewel should be placed south of Mind over Matter, preferably with either fire leech, max fire res, or phys damage and %chance to deal double damage on the Arcanist’s Dominion notable by witch start (we path through that already, so try to make sure it’s good for this build).

Watcher’s Eye:
Spoiler

Look for
Vitality: life leech
Vitality: life recovery
Precision: attack speed
Precision: gain a flask charge on crit
Precision: crit multi
Clarity: mana gained as extra ES* (you would have to run a clarity gem… we’re very short on sockets).

Other
Spoiler

Get life and crit multi with fire skills. Then use the remaining mods for resistances, attack speed, or attributes. Jewels are one of the easiest ways to adjust small amounts of your attributes with divine orbs without ruining your resistance or life rolls on your other gear.

Map Mods:
Spoiler

Can’t do no regen or ele reflect.
All other mods are fine, but you may have to turn off your RF for -max or 70% reduced regen.

Content Notes:
Spoiler

This build is good for all content (theoretically), but I’ve found damage too low to properly do The Feared. Because we have a damage cap of around 5 or 6 million, it’s very hard to not have 3 bosses on screen at once, which fills *very* fast with clutter. I’ve only gotten around to trying the fight once with this build, and failed it because I can’t manage to get more than 0% chaos res since the gear suffixes are all spent on attributes and other resistances.
All other bosses and maps are a cakewalk.

Last edited by Kroughfire on Jan 28, 2022, 1:38:35 PM
Last bumped on Jun 7, 2022, 12:06:52 PM
Sick build! I'm trying to put a version of it together myself, but with some key differences:

- Using 2 Circles of Anguish to both make up some of the STR requirement and double dip on the "phy as extra" + "more spell fire damage"
- Using some weird pathing and two Split Personalities (STR/Acc) to make up for the rest of the STR requirement and mostly fix my hit chance

I believe I can achieve a bit more damage then your version, but yours seems WAY more tanky and balanced, so I'm kind of sad now LOL

I have some questions/opinions though:

- Have you tried capping your hit chance with a jewel slot? I believe you can cap it with one T1 accuracy roll on an abyss jewel, it might be more effective DPS wise than those rolls you're using
- Did you thought about getting 14% CDR in your belt slot so you can try and get to the 7.5 APS breakpoint? You could benchcraft 12% CDR and get 2% CDR on one abyss jewel. People are sleeping hard on that IMO.
I looked at circles of Anguish but was turned off because I was short on so many other stats. I think it would make a lot of sense to use one to take advantage of a great implicit, but I would have a hard time using both and losing all that life. Split personalities is interesting -- it would certainly help a lot with gearing to get lots of str and accuracy from there.

Honestly, my version of the build is a bit of a trap in that capped fire res isn't really justified. Getting much better boots and damage notables instead of fire res on Megalomaniacs is probably better overall. For example, PoB has just spending 4 points to pick up the Throatseeker cluster give 19% total damage. Literally 4 points can give another 1/5 dps! that's pretty crazy, but I don't have the points for it because I'm spending them all on defenses. I'm going to revise my PoB a bit because I just realized I accidently went over a breakpoint somewhere and am missing out on 2 million damage, haha. Just gotta take off one attackspeed node (probably happened when I was leveling up my Bloodrage).

Cooldown boots or belts are probably quite good -- I just have already scraped together barely enough attack speed (and again, like 2% over), so finding another 20% to up my dps seems a little tricky. Jewels would be the best place for it, but since I choose to go all in on defenses via megalomaniacs, I don't have the sockets for them.
How on earth do you get the Brittle and scorched options in the PoB Configuration available ? (im running the latest PoB community Fork)
when im importing your build i see them; but when i add the leadership's price to my own mjolner build and make sure strength and intel are equal (dex lower) i just dont get the option for brittle and scorched open in my PoB.
you you need to activate/trick the options in somehow ?
Ah, yes there's a trick -- so you path to a different outer jewel socket and place The Interrogation unique small cluster jewel there and allocate secrets of suffering. Once you do that, you have the options available in config. Once you put in values, you can safely remove the small cluster pathing without losing the alt ailment effects.
This looks really interesting, I've never used any of the conflux mechanics. I've also never tried any fire builds, always ice or lightning. Definitely going to investigate further. Also yes F Al-Hezmin.
have u think about a version with Marylene´s Fallacy?
In POB fork it bring about 2.6 mio dps

and maybe surgbinders for gloves
"
sallos91 wrote:

I'm sure you could make a similar build using Marlene's, but it would be very different from mine since you couldn't use the Leadership's Price amulet (and thus lose 3 all res and the conflux).
"
Kroughfire wrote:
"
sallos91 wrote:

I'm sure you could make a similar build using Marlene's, but it would be very different from mine since you couldn't use the Leadership's Price amulet (and thus lose 3 all res and the conflux).

yeah u are right :D it´s not the same.

u update the tree for 3.16?
"
sallos91 wrote:

u update the tree for 3.16?

Not exactly... Overall, this build got buffed (about 15% more EHP, 5% less damage roughly...). But there are so many things going on, it's hard to know what will work and what wont until I'm in game.

I'm planning on starting this build in order to test everything out, and will hopefully have a final, optimal tree by then.

Just to give you an idea of the pathing struggle...

Using elemental mastery + crit mastery (and a pathing nodE), we get 110% ailment effect from the tree. This means maybe we can replace painseekers. I'm looking at using an asanath's explody for mapping, maybe just rare gloves to help ease the horrible res and attribute problems, shapers touch solves accuracy (can drop precision for another gem) and gives good ES, Maligaro's virtuosity can replace all crit multi (worth 1 support).
Even fricken Abhorrent Interrogation, which I have never seen used once in any build, can be a 30-40% more multiplier since we get almost zero pen from gems and instead simply lower enemy resists (combine with hitting 18 times per second = 36% increased damage taken, more attacks per second and cdr improves the viability of these gloves.

These thoughts aside,

If you want to league start something close to this build, I'm almost certain to have the basic pathing down. Drop everything east of Pain attunement (and grab melding), and don't go above arcanists dominion (to those life and spellblock/mana nodes).

Instead go along the west side of templar, grabbing Divine Shield, then turning and getting Avatar of Fire, Glancing Blows, Iron Will, and Constitution. Finally, path south through born to fight and warriors blood (the marauder nodes). Also, don't get precision (it got nerfed hard) and instead get Versatility (so don't get templar accuracy nodes, instead get the marauder ones).

The final pathing is whether to get divine judgement and the mastery, or to get Arcane Potency and crit mastery. You can path north past runebinder if you need the spellblock from safeguard, or you can get this on clusters. Doryani Jewel goes in the same place.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info