Feedback on Colourblind Support for Gem Sockets

This seems like a good idea, the small mark does help, but it is tiny, maybe we can make it more noticeable somehow?
Having shaped sockets could also help
Displaying R G B W on pressing ALT or CTRL could help.

Hi GGG

Well im a player since almost the beginning og poe, and i always thought when will it happen for us players who are colourblind, and finally it begins after so many years..

Yes im colourblind and i lack of the red/green : Deuteranomaly this is still a mild version of it, but still i cant figure out what is green or red in those sockets of items...

I dont know if it possible to make an overlay for that, i have seen that the game : Grim Dawn has serval overlays of colourblidness and those are acutally very affective.

i dont know instead of that little - <-- u put on sockets now, is it possible u maybe could make an overlay where u mark an little letter there instead??

Keep up the good work.. and yes the colour in the sockets should be blue letter in blue socket, white, gren and red.. but i might have taken the wrong colour.. sorry for that :)
We already have the option to toggle showing sockets on mouseover or always showing them. You could just make an option for colorblind people to show notches in sockets. Aesthetics seem to be a concern, since the previous colorblind support was removed, and with a solution like this, the aesthetics of it would not impact the non-colorblind. Meanwhile, colorblind people could have sockets which are easily identifiable.
Red-green color blind here as well. I wish it was just gem sockets that was the issue. The range markers for this league are an absolute nightmare trying to see what it being hit and not.

As for the sockets, shape changes are the easiest to identify. Square, circle, triangle, pentagon associated with a given color. Yes there is an aesthetic change but it's easily identifiable at a quick glance. If the look is that big of a deal, make the socket shapes be a toggle option that can be turned on or off. I know some people get a little sensitive about things like that.

I will say that as a viable second, the showing color indicators while holding alt/some other keybind would also work, it's just far more annoying to have to deal with in a game that already is already pretty colorblind unfriendly.
Last edited by cmilles on Sep 1, 2021, 3:18:26 PM
I think they are trying to come up with a subtle way to aid a minority instead of some in-your-face solution that will overwhelm the majority and clutter up the interface. Their solution fails but you can see their intention which is to do something small yet identifiable. That's also probably why they simplified the sockets from the old design and removed a lot of the intricate detail. All the detail together looked bad and busy so at least for this portion of their UI they went with less is more.
✰CARD✰ The Survivalist
I can’t buy any more big supporter packs because the forum only supports showing 7 legacy tags.
Last edited by cgexile on Sep 1, 2021, 3:25:24 PM

Slight problem with the blue sockets.
IGN: Majugex

...in the end, everybody bleeds the same...
Im not colorblind but as others have mentioned, the blue notch conflicts with the links. How about just using different shapes? Like Hexagon, Squad, Octagon, Triangle?
Literally in the picture you can see how it would be difficult to tell the white socket on the bottom right helm slot from the blue socket in the bottom left socket on the bow....
I don't know what is worse.

The fact that PoE use to have shapes for colorblind but removed them long ago.

The fact that I seen people complaining about colorblind problems since I got here 4 years ago and this is the first thing you said

Or that your solution is these notches I can barely identify with my perfect vision.

SHAPES GGG

THE COLOR BLIND WANT SHAPES
Might rather go with 1/2/3 markers or just make red circle, blue square and green triangle.
Shapes are so much better tbh

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info