Idea to help with retaining casual players

"
porous2 wrote:
The above assumes that end-game farming for loot is the only reason people play the game. I don't think that is necessarily true. It's not, for example, why Tytykiller does Act 5 and Act 10 Kitava races. He is certainly not spending hundreds of Exalts in his runs, nor is he expecting to find or craft mirror-tier gear. He is instead trying to shave seconds off his fastest time. It's obviously an addictive and enjoyable way of playing the game for him, even if it doesn't work for everyone.

For me, trying out different spells as traps, mines, ballistas or totems and seeing how they compare to the self-cast version of the spell is a lot of fun. I don't need to farm end-game content in order to derive enjoyment from it. Ditto with trying out different combinations of summons/minions.

Let's use music as an analogy. A teenager aspiring rock star takes up guitar. Fifteen years later, this is his summary: 'Music sucks. They dangle the idea of stardom and wealth to entice you. So you take up an instrument, practise until your fingers bleed, and form a garage band. But the studios aren't interested in talent, only in image and sales. So creative musicians don't get the contract, it goes instead to some talentless person who is lip-syncing but has the right image to sell albums. The industry stinks and people are best advised to stay away from it. There is no reward in it if you're a genuine artist.'

Doubtless that is valid from his perspective. But it's not the reason why everybody takes up music. There are other reasons too. People find enjoyment and fulfillment from music without needing to become a rock star.

In the stinky foul muck of forum posts since the beginning of the week this post truly is a flower.
That is a very sane request. Please also note that op is talking about from a second toon in a league, onwards. This, in no way, compromises the "journey from rags to riches" in softcore trade league as by the time you're leveling a second toon prices of leveling uniques have already become low enough to be irrelevant.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info