Upcoming Video Memory Utilisation Improvements

While it's great that the massive texture streaming issues are finally getting acknowledged, you're current solution is more of attacking the symptoms and not the illness.

Yes, using more VRAM and unloading less will reduce/remove the ridiculousness of having your inventory of items unloading when moving between zones.

But that doesn't fix the issue of the first texture streaming delays.

Take Sirus' Maze which has the pleasant side effect from Texture streaming of taking several seconds to load. Using more VRAM won't make that texture appear in the game any faster.

I still don't get the obsession with texture streaming, it's nice in certain application instead of loading screen in zone transitions in certain games, but for an ARPG, all textures should be loaded in the loading screen and that's it. And don't give me that crap where "We don't want to load to memory the textures that will be used in advance because some people can cheat by looking at what textures were loaded.", 'cause you're basically making the game a whole lot less fun for the 99.9999% of us to counter the 0.0001% that could be doing such a thing.
Did PoE2 use a custom engine too, or did you use a 3D engine like Unreal, Unity or Cryengine ? No offense, but build and maintain a 3D engine is very difficult, it's so complex nowaday, dynamic shadow, lights, collisions, shaders... so much stuff...
As a dev myself, I nerd out every time you peel back the curtain like this. Glad to hear about the upcoming improvements!
More hymns for Cassia when?
"
obi36 wrote:
Did PoE2 use a custom engine too, or did you use a 3D engine like Unreal, Unity or Cryengine ? No offense, but build and maintain a 3D engine is very difficult, it's so complex nowaday, dynamic shadow, lights, collisions, shaders... so much stuff...

Also it needs highest quality staff to run it well.
"
Icemasta wrote:
While it's great that the massive texture streaming issues are finally getting acknowledged, you're current solution is more of attacking the symptoms and not the illness.

Yes, using more VRAM and unloading less will reduce/remove the ridiculousness of having your inventory of items unloading when moving between zones.

But that doesn't fix the issue of the first texture streaming delays.

Take Sirus' Maze which has the pleasant side effect from Texture streaming of taking several seconds to load. Using more VRAM won't make that texture appear in the game any faster.

I still don't get the obsession with texture streaming, it's nice in certain application instead of loading screen in zone transitions in certain games, but for an ARPG, all textures should be loaded in the loading screen and that's it. And don't give me that crap where "We don't want to load to memory the textures that will be used in advance because some people can cheat by looking at what textures were loaded.", 'cause you're basically making the game a whole lot less fun for the 99.9999% of us to counter the 0.0001% that could be doing such a thing.

They literally said in the post that it's a different system that unloads assets, and the problem is because it's been too aggressive at unloading stuff, which they're looking at improving to fix this. I say this as someone who's died to Sirus' invisible meteor maze, so I get how much it sucks, but they know and they're fixing it.
More hymns for Cassia when?
"
For users without enough VRAM, performance under DirectX11 is pretty terrible.

I have a 3080 which has 12gb of GDDR6x, and my performance at times is terrible.

I hope this dont suggest this isn't enough VRAM
"
obi36 wrote:
PoE2

POE2 doesn't have a new engine, or really much that's new at all.

They've just re-branded the the title of the game, given it an additional 4-hour levelling option to start with on day 1 and then shifted out links from in gear to being in skill gems. There is no new end game, mapping system, bosses or anything. It's all the same game apart from the new beginning and title for the game.

I think the only thing of note other than any of that they have planned is to toss in a bunch of new ascendancy options. None of the current ascendancies are going though.
"
Adambjjoz wrote:
"
obi36 wrote:
PoE2

None of the current ascendancies are going though.

They will still be there. Just AFAIK only for the poe1 campaign.

POE2 Campaign will have new ones.
I've literally never had any of these issues.

I think maybe if I had an older system I'd play and be happy with whatever performance I got instead of complaining about the game being the problem.

But, that's me.
Visit my Steam profile here: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheBaconOverlord/
"
I've literally never had any of these issues.

I think maybe if I had an older system I'd play and be happy with whatever performance I got instead of complaining about the game being the problem.

But, that's me.

It's not just old systems that are having issues. Many people with modern / top of the line systems are.

Just because you don't have any, dont mean others can't.
Last edited by gryphon79 on May 12, 2021, 10:02:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info