Build idea: Reap Mines

"
suxerz wrote:
Although it's not the same, but I see reap kinda similar to the effect of cold snap - the character can gain frenzy charges even though the mines are killing the enemies in the chill area.

I might be wrong anyway - this is just my assumption. >_<
So yeah, let's wait and see.
With regard to CS, I know there is (was?) a bug with totems, where if a totem gets a kill with a DoT, kill is credited to you for the purposes of e.g. "on kill/if you've killed recently" effects. It could be that Cold Snap used by mines has a similar issue.

I guess my question is: does a skill used by proxies see the charges on you, or only the bonuses granted by those charges? In particular I'm thinking of Frenzy and Power Siphon, which gain bonuses directly from frenzy and power charges. Do those bonuses work with mines/totems?

edit: I just tested a combination of self-cast Frenzy and Ballista Frenzy in-game, and it does look (although it's hard to be sure) that the ballistae get the same bonus as the self-cast version (they fire at about half my rate). The community fork of Path of Building also shows Ballista Frenzy getting the more attack speed modifier from frenzy charges, and that a mined Power Siphon gets crit multi from power charges. So I think it's safe to assume that a mined Reap will benefit from blood charges.

edit 2: I just realized that Inspiration Support works the same way, and as far as I know, inspiration charges, which have no inherent effect, do boost the damage of supported mine skills, even though the charges are on you (and PoB agrees). So this will probably work.
Last edited by ekaye on Apr 13, 2021, 3:43:46 PM
"
ekaye wrote:
Spoiler
"
suxerz wrote:
Although it's not the same, but I see reap kinda similar to the effect of cold snap - the character can gain frenzy charges even though the mines are killing the enemies in the chill area.

I might be wrong anyway - this is just my assumption. >_<
So yeah, let's wait and see.
With regard to CS, I know there is (was?) a bug with totems, where if a totem gets a kill with a DoT, kill is credited to you for the purposes of e.g. "on kill/if you've killed recently" effects. It could be that Cold Snap used by mines has a similar issue.

Quite sure that DoT kill has always been credited to you. If I'm not mistaken, that's how Spidermancer build exist (Arakaali's Fang).

But for the interaction of CS and mines, I don't think it's because the kills are from CS DoT. I'm using lvl 1 CWDT + lvl 1 CS in my setup. It's hard to know for sure, but I'm quite sure the monsters were not killed by my lvl 1 CS. Instead, they died from my BL mines.

The way I understand CS - "gain frenzy charge when an enemy dies while in this skill's area" - it doesn't matter how the enemy dies in the area (either by proxies or self-cast), as long as it dies in the chilling area, you will have a chance to gain frenzy charges.

This what made me think that kills from reap mines will make us lose blood charges. But then again, like you said - it shouldn't matter that much because we want blood charges on bosses.

"
ekaye wrote:
I guess my question is: does a skill used by proxies see the charges on you, or only the bonuses granted by those charges? In particular I'm thinking of Frenzy and Power Siphon, which gain bonuses directly from frenzy and power charges. Do those bonuses work with mines/totems?

edit: I just tested a combination of self-cast Frenzy and Ballista Frenzy in-game, and it does look (although it's hard to be sure) that the ballistae get the same bonus as the self-cast version (they fire at about half my rate). The community fork of Path of Building also shows Ballista Frenzy getting the more attack speed modifier from frenzy charges, and that a mined Power Siphon gets crit multi from power charges. So I think it's safe to assume that a mined Reap will benefit from blood charges.

edit 2: I just realized that Inspiration Support works the same way, and as far as I know, inspiration charges, which have no inherent effect, do boost the damage of supported mine skills, even though the charges are on you (and PoB agrees). So this will probably work.

Yeah, mines should see the charges on you. Charged mines support uses this directly.
"
suxerz wrote:
Quite sure that DoT kill has always been credited to you. If I'm not mistaken, that's how Spidermancer build exist (Arakaali's Fang).

But for the interaction of CS and mines, I don't think it's because the kills are from CS DoT. I'm using lvl 1 CWDT + lvl 1 CS in my setup. It's hard to know for sure, but I'm quite sure the monsters were not killed by my lvl 1 CS. Instead, they died from my BL mines.

The way I understand CS - "gain frenzy charge when an enemy dies while in this skill's area" - it doesn't matter how the enemy dies in the area (either by proxies or self-cast), as long as it dies in the chilling area, you will have a chance to gain frenzy charges.

This what made me think that kills from reap mines will make us lose blood charges. But then again, like you said - it shouldn't matter that much because we want blood charges on bosses.
In the case of Cold Snap, you're using CS yourself, and CS is what's granting charges, so it doesn't matter exactly what kills them as long as they're in the chilling area. I used to use a similar setup before switching to Storm Brand + Power Charge on Crit. In my case, the skill that would grant/lose charges is itself being used by mines, and since mines can't gain charges (barring effects such as Charged Mines/Blast Cascade which specifically grant charges to you when a mine detonates), I'm hoping they can't lose my charges either.

If they can, that would cause trouble with bosses that summon adds, and means I'd have to ramp up charges at the start of the fight, but it's not the end of the world.
while reap doesnt have a regular "on kill" effect to remove the blood charges, which makes me believe that you are gonna lose blood charges regardless of what actually kills the mob that is affected, i will inform you that on kill effects still work with mines IF the mob is killed by a DOT. so for example elusive on kill will work with toxic rain mines, as will things like life/mana on kill etc.

so there is no way you are getting around the blood charge loss. and self casting to gain them seems annoying anyways

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info