Ethereal Knives

"
"
Strill wrote:
EK is a spell. Items that add physical, elemental, or chaos damage only apply to attacks not spells.

Aww :(

But percentage-based increases work, is that correct? So the extra damage on EK from equipping Blackheart was from the 5% increased physical damage?
Yep. That's the only thing on there that would apply to Ethereal Knives.
Getting a magnate, ezomyte peak, etc will actually result in decent buffs here.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
Trying this for the first time, and EK + Fork is like a freakin' lawnmower.

I'd recommend Fork over Chain because of the mana multiplier (125% for Fork, 200% for Chain).
Well, then maybe you can answer the question:
Do forked knives hit enemies that have already been hit by another knife?
So far, the answer seems to be "No", in which case I plain don't get how fork would improve the spell.
In my experience it's actually pretty rare to find a group of more than ten enemies.

EDIT: Does Etheral Knives work with Blackgleam?
Converting Physical Damage to Fire damage could be quite interesting.
And if it does, would it actually make sense for an incineration build, or would regular spell damage gear or dual redbeaks result in more actual fire damage?
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Last edited by UnDeaD_CyBorG on Nov 4, 2012, 6:51:32 PM
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
Well, then maybe you can answer the question:
Do forked knives hit enemies that have already been hit by another knife?
So far, the answer seems to be "No", in which case I plain don't get how fork would improve the spell.
In my experience it's actually pretty rare to find a group of more than ten enemies.

EDIT: Does Etheral Knives work with Blackgleam?
Converting Physical Damage to Fire damage could be quite interesting.
And if it does, would it actually make sense for an incineration build, or would regular spell damage gear or dual redbeaks result in more actual fire damage?

From what I've seen, yes. For example, against a single enemy, one cast of EK is not enough to kill. But against a group of the same enemy it frequently one-shots the whole mob because of the forked projectiles. Kinda fun that it actually becomes more powerful the larger the group is. I will test this more thoroughly tonight.

I haven't tried Blackgleam, but Hatred and Added Fire Damage work off physical damage and work with EK. IMO it's better to buff spell and projectile damage, because they increase both the physical and elemental added damage (since its a percentage of physical). You can get larger bonuses to elemental damage though so it might be worth looking into.
Last edited by BurnOutBrighter on Nov 4, 2012, 7:33:17 PM
Well, after the facebreaker build of the week, they said quivers should only apply to bows, but maybe they just meant you need to have one equipped. I'm almost certain going full caster equip gives more total damage.
I'm looking forward to your findings on fork.
Zaanus:

___
well i had a friend use quill rain and thats double projectile speed, making this (and freezing pulse) cover and entire screen in distance, more in case of EK due to the spread and forking causes distances to reset.
If distance resets, this might result in an interesting combination with Point Blank;
I figured for the normal spell it's pointless because of the short range, and thus quick falloff. Still, Quillrain+Blackgleam might be a great fire combo.
Not sure if it does more damage than just going pure damage, though;

EDIT:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The inability to shogun applies to all projectiles created at the same time. If a projectile forks, the two new projectiles created count targets separately from those which were initially cast, and can potentially hit the same targets as them.

That explains why fork is said to be powerful, and certainly makes chain worthwhile as well; if you can pay the mana.
Zaanus:

___
Last edited by UnDeaD_CyBorG on Nov 5, 2012, 5:24:34 AM
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
If distance resets, this might result in an interesting combination with Point Blank;
I figured for the normal spell it's pointless because of the short range, and thus quick falloff. Still, Quillrain+Blackgleam might be a great fire combo.
Not sure if it does more damage than just going pure damage, though;

EDIT:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The inability to shogun applies to all projectiles created at the same time. If a projectile forks, the two new projectiles created count targets separately from those which were initially cast, and can potentially hit the same targets as them.

That explains why fork is said to be powerful, and certainly makes chain worthwhile as well; if you can pay the mana.
To me, if you can sustain the mana cost I think Chain would outdo fork since the "chained" projectiles are not limited to an angle so it would be more reliable. Not even counting the fact that chain hits more targets then fork.

Another thing that is interesting, and this goes for spark too. It seems that spells that already start with more then one projectile always seem to do better with fork / chain over LMP / GMP in every way.
That's certainly not surprising.^^
Zaanus:

___

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info