Diablo II: Resurrected

"
awesome999 wrote:
"
So here's a thought. In order for something to be resurrectable, it must first be dead.

So...Diablo 2 Deceased?

Probably it is not the same Diablo II. Their source code became corrupted and they have no backup. Blizzard have to recreating everything from scratch. It is probably more of a remake of the same old game with better graphics except they didn't want to call it that. Bad publicity and perplexing unneccessary details.

Resurrected not as in CPR but more like cloning.

So Was Diablo 2 Dead?

Their source code became corrupted and they have no backup??? how its possible? lol wtf blizz?
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
"
TreeOfDead wrote:

Their source code became corrupted and they have no backup??? how its possible? lol wtf blizz?

That happened back at Blizzard North when D2 was about to release.
That's why D2R isn't a real remaster, just a "skin" that's slapped on top of the original game still running in the background.

They can't really change the core game, because they don't have the source code anymore.
David Brevik said so some years ago, so he thought a remaster was basically impossible.

I mean, they chose to call it Resurrected, so clearly they thought it was dead. Which was entirely my point, but hey, always happy to sharpen my point should I have come across as a little too blunt. It's fairly common knowledge VV rebuilt the original game and laid the facelift over it. Impressive in and of itself.

Diablo 2 Cloned is probably a bit on the nose. Diablo 2 Recreated would work. Diablo 2 Reanimated if you're a Herbert West fan.

Diablo 2 Depixelated?

Diablo 2.5D?

Diablo 2 Fast But Not PoE Fast?

Diablo 2 Resurrected really does come loaded though. I don't think it was chosen as a name lightly.
Predecessor! Paragon is BACK.
Finished Dragons Dogma 2 at 327 hours, 9 playthroughs. Loved every minute.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Aug 26, 2021, 11:38:44 AM
"
awesome999 wrote:
"
So here's a thought. In order for something to be resurrectable, it must first be dead.

So...Diablo 2 Deceased?

Probably it is not the same Diablo II. Their source code became corrupted and they have no backup. Blizzard have to recreating everything from scratch. It is probably more of a remake of the same old game with better graphics except they didn't want to call it that. Bad publicity and perplexing unneccessary details.

Resurrected not as in CPR but more like cloning.

So Was Diablo 2 Dead?

It sure was being killed (online)
I knew D2R was coming quite a bit before its announcement because for at least 2 years b.net had been giving these mysterious 2 week bans to everyone.
The way they worked was that you TRIED to go online and got 2 week ban, after the ban was done it would refresh when you went online again.
This would happen to old and new accounts be they from recent purchases or some old discs.
Their excuse was that they implemented a new anti-cheat system to stop bots (it didnt) yet it hit everyone, quite curious (and no, they wouldnt so much as reimburse anyone for their new purchase of the game).
There were also small bans for making fast games, making it impossible to do runs type of games (bots circumvent this by making multiple location runs, players doing optimal leveling runs got fucked).
Obviously all intentional, ruining old experience before offering a new one.
I didnt play the beta as I have zero intention of breaking my 15+ year long streak of not giving money to Blizz, but I did check some threads around and I didnt see any complaints of the kind for the online (correct me, if Im wrong, but I highly doubt it).
I even remember some Blizz comment about D2 being a dying game and statistics of online players showing it (Gee, I wonder why), what an horrible company.
I wonder how many poor schmucks think that Blizz is doing something amazing fixing a broken game, when even some teenager 15 years ago could code you better muling, and these idiots still didnt thought of fixing charms and inventory space. The game has potential for so much more and that is building on the basic d2.
Instead, I checked some vids and so far they are ruining PvP by changing unnecessary shit. I would lower my expectations from devs that dont even understand what's the issue with removing the PVP warning sound.

And they stealthily removed the offered TCP/IP option, making it already impossible for 99% of mods created for the game to play online, as only about 4 have their own realms set up. Not that I believe any mod but possibly those still being updated will work with D2R, I verily much doubt such a restrictive company would go through the trouble of making them work (not actually difficult as we have D2SE as an example of a easy multipatch implementation).
Well, at least they can't beat D3 promises and removed content, that was a fun one if you followed its development. my favorite part was when it became apparent that all the good design ideas were being scrapped and dii.net changed ownership and suddenly you couldnt have a very negative opinion of d3 on one of the biggest diablo forums online, man that must have been just a coincidence I bet LOL. False advertisement siegebreaker video being on their site even after release coming a close second.
Hey on the brightside, they can't butcher the lore of D2... right?
Oblivious
They lost the assets, the 3d models that were used to generate the 2d sprites. They never lost the source code.

D2R recreated new models from scratch, so it wasn't much of a problem.
"
MagosX wrote:
They lost the assets, the 3d models that were used to generate the 2d sprites. They never lost the source code.

D2R recreated new models from scratch, so it wasn't much of a problem.

after a quick google search:

https://www.gamebyte.com/file-corruption-is-the-reason-well-likely-never-get-a-diablo-2-remaster/

"
"According to the creators, the entire backup of the game’s source code and assets was lost during the final stages of development thanks to a file corruption."
"However, there’s still no root code or assets to build from, meaning that if Blizzard ever decided to reboot the game in the form of a remaster, it would be a pretty massive task."
Blizzard has stated they didn't use version control *at all* until roughly 2007. Sure version control was shitty until 2000 or so when SVN came out (and 2005 when git came out), but it's not like they never had the option since version control systems have existed in some form basically since we moved past punch cards.

They were very incompetent in this regard.

Украина в моём сердце
Re Charms and inventory space: do not confuse a deliberate mechanic that forces meaningful tradeoff with a broken system. Plenty of veterans agree that it's fine as it is, that choosing between more power or space in your backpack was integral to the balance and the core experience. If you disagree that is fine. You have PoE for your costless power. But I am grateful that VV and by extension Blizzard have been very sparing with QoL changes and when in doubt err on the side of preserving the original experience even if that grates on more modern, dare I say spoilt, sensibilities. Pander too much to such demands and you get...a different game. Better, worse: irrelevant.

If you want to talk genuinely broken stuff they didn't fix, we can bang on about the horrendous rubberbanding for days and days...
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Aug 27, 2021, 1:29:59 AM
"
... err on the side of preserving the original experience even if that grates on more modern, dare I say spoilt, sensibilities. Pander too much to such demands and you get...a different game. Better, worse: irrelevant.

Exactly. I don't think Blizzard are after new players per se (although I'm sure they're welcome) but after the old ones, who will be happy to shell out the 40$ for nostalgia with good graphics.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
So this is curious and....annoying. By dint of version and assigned studios, the mobile version of Titan Quest is far superior to the console version...even on the ps5.

It has more intuitive UI, better targeting, more character slots, much fewer very noticeable bugs and it even *looks* better. Obviously you need a tablet to fully appreciate this but as I was getting back into the groove of controller TQ, I had this weird feeling of remembering it as...not quite this bad. I delved, and read an overwhelming consensus that the studio responsible for the console port had really shat the bed...while Handygames, THQ Nordic's mobile studio, had somehow salvaged a decent mobile port by dotemu to deliver the best complete version TQ outside of the yet-supported PC version. Hell, you can even change the title screen and music to whichever expansion you like.

You can use spaces in character names.

This is all quite clearly insane.

And I find all very fascinating when placed next to d2r. We might call VV's version of D2 'resurrected' but I think 'cloned' is more accurate. THQ Nordic, on the other hand, are absolutely amoral necromancers. Shit, they even brought Kingdoms of Amalur back to life, and that game was so dead people bought a dead console just to play it. Its almost stillbirth is legendary in its drama.

As for TQ, it was so dead its core devs had to crowdfund their next effort, which itself feels like an impassioned rebuke of TQ's shortcomings as much as a rekindling of its innovations.

Diablo 2 was never dead compared to Nordic's reanimations.

edit: the girlfriend just supplied the perfect term. Diablo 2 hasnt been necro'd; it has been thread-bumped.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Aug 28, 2021, 2:30:13 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info