Valheim is as wonderful as the reviews say

I wouldn't normally recommend EA games even if I really like them myself, because they tend to end up being very hit or miss in the long run (with more misses than hits). I wouldn't hesitate at all to recommend this one though. It's very well made, and even being in EA it already has way more than enough to offer for its low price.

It's excellent alone but it really shines with just a couple of like-minded friends. I picked up a copy the day it dropped and before all the positive reviews started rolling in. Made it easier to convince a couple local friends to give it a shot, and we're hooked. Might even rent out a g-portal for it, but haven't quite decided on that yet.

If you're a sucker for survival and/or rogue-lite games, you really should check it out if you haven't. If you're not usually a fan of those, you might still want to check it out.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
Last bumped on Apr 8, 2021, 1:37:07 AM
"
aggromagnet wrote:

If you're a sucker

That's about right.

Wait till the hype dies off, and what are you left with? Not much.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
aggromagnet wrote:

If you're a sucker

That's about right.

Wait till the hype dies off, and what are you left with? Not much.
As I mentioned, I bought in before there was any kind of real hype. I am definitely a sucker for survival games and buy them as they become available. Many turn out to be a shallow pit of disappointment, but there are some real gems. If you're a fan of the genre, this is definitely one of the gems.

No regrets at all on this one at $11US (in my region anyway, $20 in most I believe).
-survival
-building
-crafting

lol really? The genres alongside simulation that I never play.
"In Valheim, players take the role of a Viking slain in battle and carried by the Valkyries to Valheim, the tenth Norse world, to fight some of Odin's ancient rivals and restore order. "

"How to Plant Carrot Seeds in Valheim"
https://gamerjournalist.com/how-to-plant-carrot-seeds-in-valheim/

vs traditional mythology of where the Valkyries take fallen heroes:

"In Norse mythology, a valkyrie (/vælˈkɪəri, -ˈkaɪri, vɑːl-, ˈvælkəri/;[1] from Old Norse valkyrja "chooser of the slain") is one of a host of female figures who choose those who may die in battle and those who may live. Selecting among half of those who die in battle (the other half go to the goddess Freyja's afterlife field Fólkvangr), the valkyries take their chosen to the afterlife hall of the slain, Valhalla, ruled over by the god Odin. There, the deceased warriors become einherjar (Old Norse "single (or once) fighters"[2]). When the einherjar are not preparing for the events of Ragnarök, the valkyries bear them mead."

A game that has botched a great idea so badly, that heroes become carrot farmers, does not seem like something worth investing any of my time into.

Some people might enjoy Carrotheim. More power to them.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Feb 13, 2021, 8:37:04 AM
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
-survival
-building
-crafting

lol really? The genres alongside simulation that I never play.

PoE is survival and crafting, wouldn't you say John Snow? ;)
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
The core is still mindlessly killing monsters. This is why I am against Harvest in principle. I don't want the game to become too crafting-heavy
"
aggromagnet wrote:
I wouldn't normally recommend EA games even if I really like them myself, because they tend to end up being very hit or miss in the long run (with more misses than hits). I wouldn't hesitate at all to recommend this one though. It's very well made, and even being in EA it already has way more than enough to offer for its low price.

It's excellent alone but it really shines with just a couple of like-minded friends. I picked up a copy the day it dropped and before all the positive reviews started rolling in. Made it easier to convince a couple local friends to give it a shot, and we're hooked. Might even rent out a g-portal for it, but haven't quite decided on that yet.

If you're a sucker for survival and/or rogue-lite games, you really should check it out if you haven't. If you're not usually a fan of those, you might still want to check it out.

Interesting, was hesitating to buy it yesterday as I will be done soon with PoE, I was somehow concerned by the multiplayer aspect, seems I was wrong :)
Hf :)
"
Heli0nix wrote:
Interesting, was hesitating to buy it yesterday as I will be done soon with PoE, I was somehow concerned by the multiplayer aspect, seems I was wrong :)
To be fair, I have no idea what the random multiplayer is like. I wouldn't be surprised if it's as riddled with cheaters as these types of games usually are. The game even warns you of such at first heh. You can disable PvP damage and hide your location on the map at least, but I'm not sure if that also prevents other players from damaging your structures.

With people that you know though, it's fantastic. And it's really hard to tackle any of the big stuff without some. The first biome you start in is a slow burn and kinda lulls you into a false sense of security. If you wander into the next unprepared, or are unfortunate enough to have something like a troll spawn nearby early, well...things can get dicey in a hurry.

One of the nice parts is that you can use the same character in whatever world you want, whether it be solo or multiplayer. If one isn't going well, or you want to have multiple worlds to work with, you can move from one to the other with whatever your character has in inventory.

There are some minor qualms I have with it, such as almost no diversity in loot drops, sometimes wonky creature AI, and some aspects of crafting being rather unintuitive. I've encountered no real bugs though, and the kind of complaints I have are the kinds of things that are due to be addressed over time. Game is in great shape overall for only being in EA 2 weeks thus far.
"
aggromagnet wrote:
"
Heli0nix wrote:
To be fair, I have no idea what the random multiplayer is like. I wouldn't be surprised if it's as riddled with cheaters as these types of games usually are. The game even warns you of such at first heh. You can disable PvP damage and hide your location on the map at least, but I'm not sure if that also prevents other players from damaging your structures.

With people that you know though, it's fantastic. And it's really hard to tackle any of the big stuff without some. The first biome you start in is a slow burn and kinda lulls you into a false sense of security. If you wander into the next unprepared, or are unfortunate enough to have something like a troll spawn nearby early, well...things can get dicey in a hurry.

One of the nice parts is that you can use the same character in whatever world you want, whether it be solo or multiplayer. If one isn't going well, or you want to have multiple worlds to work with, you can move from one to the other with whatever your character has in inventory.

There are some minor qualms I have with it, such as almost no diversity in loot drops, sometimes wonky creature AI, and some aspects of crafting being rather unintuitive. I've encountered no real bugs though, and the kind of complaints I have are the kinds of things that are due to be addressed over time. Game is in great shape overall for only being in EA 2 weeks thus far.

Thank you for the explanations. I'm fine with Early access model after all, spending most of my time between PoE leagues testing games and keeping an eye on future releases :)

I just saw they don't seem to want to support modding for now, hope they won't miss that window, because it looks like to be a perfect model for that.

Pretty much convinced at this point, downloading it today.
Hf :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info