[3.14] Odif's Old Obsolete Skel Mage Guide, New one is in a new thread

Doing great so far! Thanks for the build! Decided to run skeles on my 4L helm w just pierce because the gmp projectiles were giving me a headache - clearing seems fine.
Why no Femurs of the Saints? Also do we still use traid gloves for skele mages? if so what colours? didnt see it mentioned in the guide
Last edited by erkkz on Jan 17, 2021, 6:54:50 AM
"
erkkz wrote:
Why no Femurs of the Saints? Also do we still use traid gloves for skele mages? if so what colours? didnt see it mentioned in the guide

I think it's the linked gem setup in the chest that change only not the gear. Check his skill gem setup guide.
Last edited by Lapsi on Jan 17, 2021, 8:55:47 AM
so Surrender instead of 1 wand for survivability is better? but then again we don't have spell damage block only physical damage :/
Last edited by exilekami on Jan 17, 2021, 9:43:06 AM
¸What could I socket in for bosses instead of greater multiple projectiles support and pierce support?
Would having the triad gloves 2R/2G but all linked mess anything up? or does it have to be 2R linked, and 2G linked? I spent an ungodly amount of chromatic to get to 2R/2G but they are in the corners so i cannot use fusing orbs to get the links right

Last edited by DRitchh on Jan 17, 2021, 10:17:17 AM
Hi all,

After 2 failed chars, I wanna try skelly mages.

Has anyone made a PoB out of the guide ? It's still much easier when we are used to it to test things around.
Also, has anyone fooled around with combining mage skellies and summon phantasm in the same 6L ? They also shoot spell projectiles, and if using Triad Grip, can also benefit from all the same support gems. Maybe 10/11 phantasms more than makes up for the DPS loss of a support gem ? Or we could even put use a 6L soulwrest ?
Last edited by thomzon on Jan 17, 2021, 10:40:55 AM
"
DRitchh wrote:
Would having the triad gloves 2R/2G but all linked mess anything up? or does it have to be 2R linked, and 2G linked? I spent an ungodly amount of chromatic to get to 2R/2G but they are in the corners so i cannot use fusing orbs to get the links right

With those colors, the correct links (G=G,R=R) will be impossible, because you can't link sockets diagonally, and you need to keep the red and green sockets separate, otherwise second wind will link with anger.

Based on the calculator (https://siveran.github.io/calc.html), it will take an average of maybe 120 chromatics to roll a usable combination of RRGG. That's an average of 80 for the RRGG combination adjusted to account for the fact that 2 our of the 6 possible ways to roll GGRR are unusable. (GGRR, RRGG, RGGR, and GRRG are are ok, while GRGR/RGRG are unusable because sockets cannot be linked diagonally). However, there is a huge variability on this result, so it could easily take 200+ chromatics if you are unlucky.

This is because those gloves have a strength and intelligence base. When you spam chromatics, red and blue will be much more common than green.

Fortunately, there's a better way.

I *highly* recommend getting the delve craft that will about you to guarantee 2 green sockets for 25 chromatics. You get this craft at the very first tutorial delve node. That will set the top two sockets to green. You also want to get the delve craft that allows you to force 3 and 4 sockets. This can appear in a T2 azurite node at any depth, so it's shouldn't be hard to get.

Here's the summary (being pedantic for beginners):

1. Get the delve recipes for 1-2 colors and 3-4 sockets.

2. Use the delve recipe to make the top sockets green. (The gloves will have to have at least two sockets for this to work).

3. Use the 3-socket recipe. If the 3rd socket is red, proceed to the next step. Otherwise, Use the 2-socket recipe to return to the state where there are only 2 green sockets. Repeat this step until you have GGR.

4. Use the 4-socket recipe. If the 4th socket is red, proceed to the next step. Otherwise, use the 3-socket recipe to return to the state where there are 2 green sockets and 1 red socket. Repeat this step until you have GGRR.

5. Now you need to 4-link your gloves. There's a delve craft that does this, but you can also just throw fusing orbs at it. If you take the fusing route, I believe boosting the quality to 20% with armourer's scaps makes the 4L more likely.

(I learned all this the hard way trying to roll GGGG triad grip gloves for full cold conversion two leagues ago).
Last edited by GERWARIC on Jan 17, 2021, 10:59:17 AM
"
Odif wrote:
Let me know how it is going for you all.

Having lots of fun over here. I took almost the exact same upgrade path as you, and just ran a magic T9 with as much easy as anything. I've been slowly upgrading my gear, so I'm up to 4.4k life and two sceptres with +1 spell skill gems. Having a lot of fun, and I love love love a screen full of RGB projectiles.

For even more funsies, I picked up a silver oil which allowed me to anoint Death Attunement. That freed up enough passive to respec into Sovereignty so I'm running Hatred for more EE-compatible damage.
Last edited by GERWARIC on Jan 17, 2021, 11:45:22 AM
Out of curiosity, would the build lose a lot if you swapped out one of the wands to a shield? I tend to die a lot, wondering if the build would take too much of a damage hit should I opt for a bit of survivability?

Also, what are your thoughts on 2 points to Mystic Bulwark for a bit more spell block, maybe instead of the western Templar jewel socket?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info