My daughter is a nurse in the UK and she now has Covid

"
xjjanie wrote:
Meticulous use of PPE did not stop her getting infected.

Sorry to hear she is ill. One of the confounding factors of this illness is that it can hit people so differently. Some get very sick, and some have lesser symptoms that require rest at home and minimal medical support. If your daughter is recovering at home and can continue to do so, that's a good sign.

"
xMustard wrote:
first off, you said it yourself...all the PPE won't stop you getting "infected".

PPE helps, depending on the type used it can help tremendously. Just like seat belts, air bags and driving cautiously don't guarantee you won't be seriously injured in a car accident, PPE is not 100% fool proof.

How much does good PPE help? Picture yourself in a room for long periods of time (sometimes hours) with very sick Covid positive patients who are coughing constantly. You are in their room while you intubate them. You are in their room doing CPR. You are in their room while BiPAP is used. All of the mentioned things are AGPs (Aerosol Generating Procedures)which dramatically increase the amount of virus in the air.

Now picture similar scenarios that you are in for almost an entire year. You and the vast majority of the people (4 out of approximately 300) in that situation do not catch Covid. How is this possible?

PPE

How is it possible that with good PPE, people still catch it? From family or friends away from the working conditions. From the brief periods of potential exposure when people have masks off and are sipping water/coffee etc. From only wearing lower filtration surgical masks (which are still 70-80%+ effective)when dealing with patients that seem low risk, but are Covid positive. In the past month I've had: Toothaches, Knee Pain, Hyperglycemia (High Blood Sugar), MVC (Car accident)patients no cough, fever or other apparent symptoms that turned out to be Covid positive. Why did we test those patients? In some cases, there was the potential to be admitted to the hospital, depending on the extent of their illness or injury. One Covid negative patient (came in for a relatively minor injury that many people would have ignored) needed to be shipped to the operating room to prevent bleeding out. The operating room could accept that patient immediately because we had the negative Covid result before the CT scan was back.

A properly conducted PCR test from a good lab is reliable. A place that lets you self-swab is almost worthless. Yes, they are uncomfortable. It will feel like someone is probing you for a nasally inserted lobotomy. The swab needs to sit in the nasopharynx for a few seconds to absorb enough material to get an accurate test. The pen in the image below is pointing to the approximate are the swab needs to reach.

Depending on how "gentle" the person swabbing you was, for a few seconds to several minutes after the swab, it can feel like someone dropped a burning DOT deep in your nose.

RIP Larry

"
xMustard wrote:

you think a mask will filter out a 1 millionth of an inch virus? give me a break

You do have the size of the virus approximately right (1.25 microns). That size is in the range that is the most difficult to filter. Fortunately, filtration isn't just a matter of filter size, but airflow and static capture as well.

Your best N95's have 92-93% filtering at the size of the Coronavirus. 3M has since updated their technical data sheet, but this is from their prior PDF they had up from years of testing:

Your average cloth mask has roughly 40%-60% efficiency of filtering out test bacteria. N95s work well to filter Covid out. KN95s are NOT N95s and don't go through a similar certification process. The KN95s we have tested at our hospitals have not passed any of the fit tests.

There are a few companies making some good non-N95 masks. Look for a qualified independent testing lab certification (and check on the history of the lab itself)
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Jan 8, 2021, 9:21:46 PM
"
I recently posted on ***book that I am quietly hating on all my ***friends around the world likely to get the vaccine before me

Wait until after they get the second dose to be angry at them. From what we can tell anecdotally, the first dose primes your body, and the second dose potentially causes your body to react. It isn't that people are getting sick from the second dose, but their immune system goes into high alert (triggering some of the usual overall bodily responses like fevers and inflammation). Still too early to know what percent need to call in sick, as only a few dozen co-workers have been through round 2 as of yesterday. Judging by those, for dose number 2, plan for a couple days of rest and recuperation, have your usual anti-fever and anti body ache meds - have some easily prepared meals and good books or shows ready.

"
-- including the second person in the world ever to receive the Moderna one way back. But I'm also a world champ at self-isolating despite being immunocompromised, so honestly, those who need it because they can't avoid exposure should get it first.

But if someone offered it to me today I sure as shit wouldn't hesitate. I miss ignoring people in public.

If anything, all the illness, the masks and things we can't do, should be a collective reminder that people are really more alike than we are different.

I'm curious what the Roaring 20's round 2 is going to look like.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Jan 8, 2021, 9:36:17 PM
I am thinking to wait for a traditional vaccine to operate, I heard Russians and CHineses are doing it. Not so happy they are using old people as Guinea pigs on those new vaccines. Creating artificial auto-immune response seems sketchy without the 2 years periods of side effects collections.

I guess in the case of doctors and people in immediate danger, those mRNA vaccines are a god s gift tho so I think it is great for them.
Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Jan 9, 2021, 6:08:08 AM
"
xjjanie wrote:
Please folks, take Covid seriously and take all precautions. It is no joke.

I am very sorry to hear your daughter has Covid. I hope she recovers quickly, with little complications.

I had it in late November or Early December, 2019. I don't remember exactly when it started, as I thought it was just a "cold," then the "flu," then the "I'm too sick to go to the hospital." :)

I lost my voice for over a month due to all the coughing. I had to sleep in a chair so I didn't wheeze as much, which kept waking me up... I ended up using a variety of over-the-counter solutions I targeted at reducing inflammation, allergic responses, phlegm, etc. (I don't have an at-home pharmacy and don't go to the doctor unless something falls off.) I also had a broncho-dilator vaporizer I kept on hand since I had once experienced a pretty radical allergic reaction to "something" (I think bug spray was in my take-out salad) that caused frightening issues. (Swollen tongue, face, throat, etc.. Fun.)

I finally called my doctor got a script for some high-power antibiotics. No real effect, but at least the gunk in my lungs wasn't harboring too many bacteria..

Now, I'm an older person so there's no reason to expect your daughter is going to have similar or worse. Plus, we now know what it is and have procedures established to handle what bits of it we can.

Since she's in the medical field, she's more than likely to get prompt attention and constant monitoring.

A friend of mine had it in July, or thereabouts. He had very mild symptoms. There is no reason why she can't have as easy a trial with it as he did.
"
xjjanie wrote:
Meticulous use of PPE did not stop her getting infected.

This is her public post from Facebook:

"Anyone on my friends who thinks Covid isn’t real or won’t wear a mask or doesn’t believe in restrictions, please take a long walk off a short pier and remove yourself from my friends list. I’m currently laid up in bed with it. I’m pretty healthy no underlying conditions etc. I feel like crap. And I believe I have it mildly. The headaches are horrible. The cough is awful. Not being able to hug my children is horrible. Despite what you might think you know, hospitals are inundated. We as NHS workers are suffering and struggling through staff sickness. Give us a fucking break! You want to be idiots, be idiots. Don’t bother coming to look for help when you realise you’re sick and you should’ve listened".

Needless to say, I am worried sick. I live in Australia and cannot currently travel.

Please folks, take Covid seriously and take all precautions. It is no joke.

Wishing her a good recovery.
Hf :)
"
xMustard wrote:
anyone that gets ill is never a good thing...but give me a break.
"You want to be idiots, be idiots. Don’t bother coming to look for help when you realise you’re sick and you should’ve listened"
insinuating anyone that doesn't adhere to every single protocol is an idiot, even though majority are logically ridiculous and the initial authorities cannot even agree with themselves let alone others.

first off, you said it yourself...all the PPE won't stop you getting "infected". you think a mask will filter out a 1 millionth of an inch virus? give me a break
you think a virus lives in your "moisture droplets"? give me a break.

how does she know she has covid and it isn't some other illness? because of a PCR test? the same test that the inventor Kary Mullis who won the nobel price stated it cannot be used for diagnostic purposes? the same test the FDA and CDC also said cannot be used for diagnostic purposes? the same test that tests a can of coke and other such things as positive? give me a break

far as i can see the people who think "covid isn't real" are not saying people are not getting sick, but sickness is drastically misunderstood.

all in all, YOU are responsible for your own health. if you want to live in a bubble because you're afraid of what can make you ill, then you do it. but you cannot force others to do so. this is the main point.

you're right, it isn't a joke. your daughter is ill...potentially severely so. i hope she gets the appropriate treatment for her health and wellness.
but we've abandoned that for fairy tales, these days

you suck lmao
You cant help a man that cant help himself..aka why people still get infected
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
I recently posted on ***book that I am quietly hating on all my ***friends around the world likely to get the vaccine before me

Wait until after they get the second dose to be angry at them. From what we can tell anecdotally, the first dose primes your body, and the second dose potentially causes your body to react. It isn't that people are getting sick from the second dose, but their immune system goes into high alert (triggering some of the usual overall bodily responses like fevers and inflammation). Still too early to know what percent need to call in sick, as only a few dozen co-workers have been through round 2 as of yesterday. Judging by those, for dose number 2, plan for a couple days of rest and recuperation, have your usual anti-fever and anti body ache meds - have some easily prepared meals and good books or shows ready.

"
-- including the second person in the world ever to receive the Moderna one way back. But I'm also a world champ at self-isolating despite being immunocompromised, so honestly, those who need it because they can't avoid exposure should get it first.

But if someone offered it to me today I sure as shit wouldn't hesitate. I miss ignoring people in public.

If anything, all the illness, the masks and things we can't do, should be a collective reminder that people are really more alike than we are different.

I'm curious what the Roaring 20's round 2 is going to look like.

I know you mean well old friend but when I said I've a friend in the early trials and health professionals in my corner, I am saying I consider myself sufficiently informed and supported regarding my position. I am simplifying it with the 'hating on' bit, purely to lighten the mood ever so slightly. I am not so naive as to think we are looking at a magic bullet here. This isnt star trek, where finding the cure or vaccine is a legitimate last minute move. In real life, its more like the start of the longest, most frustratingly bureaucratic arc no one asked for. Pretty sure reality would have been cancelled were it a TV show by now.

Kind of ironic given the role a 'reality TV' show played in the prologue to where we are now. Heh.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
*feeling of nerdy kids who do the whole project so the popular kids and jocks won't fail the semester intensifies*
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
Good news is she is slowly recovering. Described it - the bad headaches - as "vile".

She has been very quiet (that's how I know how bad she's been feeling).
😹😹😹😹😹
I do not and will not use TFT.
Gaming Granny :D
🐢🐢🐢🪲🪲🪲

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info