[3.11] The Bard's Soulrend/Bane Trickster - 5m Sirus DPS - All Content - League Starter Viable

Hello there everyone! Claeysken's Soulrend/Bane Trickster was the first build I have played in this game, and even though I've played countless builds after that, I was still captivated by the smooth desolation that Soulrend brought upon the helpless monsters all around the atlas. So I dwelled on the idea of creating my own variation of this magnificent skill, and boy did it took some time. But at last, after several tries in Standart and countless hours on PoB, I managed to complete a build that can do all content with ease.

Achievements with the build so far:
Spoiler
Deathless Shaper
Deathless Elder
Deathless Sirus Awakening level 8
Deathless Uber Elder
2-Death Simulacrum. I'm pretty sure I could pull it off deathless if my PC was a bit better though.

Side note: Since my PC is a relic, I cannot record videos, but if I manage to upgrade it I am planning to add some.

Pros&Cons
+Beginner friendly gameplay
+The build can run all map mods including but not limited to no leech, no regen, hexproof etc... But you might want to reroll hexproof if you dont want to bother with it.
+It can kill endgame bosses such as Sirus, Elder, Shaper and Uber Elder without trouble
+It can complete some maps under one minute, if you spec into No Witnesses. This is not an exaggeration. Soulrend is arguably one of the best clear skills in game, and with this build you can oneshot rare/magic monsters offscreen. Unless there are tons of walls in the map, it clears way faster than ED/C combo.
+It doesn't like to die in maps. We have high evasion combined with Attack and Spell dodge.
+We use lots of rare items, capping resistances is relatively easy.
+There are two spectacular MTX for Soulrend, if you are into that stuff
+Budget level Watcher's Eye is dirt cheap.
+Enlighten Level 3 is enough to use all auras.
+Can be a great league-starter. It doesn't require lots of investments to annihilate red maps.

-Like most of the builds out there, it requires lots of currency to perfect the build.
-You won't survive several consecutive hits from big boys such as Sirus, Elder, Shaper. You are not a tank and I cannot stress this enough.
-We use off-colour sockets. Lots of them.

So overall, if you want to be able to do all content, into DoT builds that doesn't take thousands of years to take down bosses, and looking for insane clear speed, this build might be for you.

Overview
+5k Life
4.7m Soulrend DPS against Sirus.
0.3m Bane DPS against Sirus.
76% Evade chance without flasks.
50% Attack and 66% Spell Dodge chance without flasks.
Culling Strike against cursed enemies.

PoB
https://pastebin.com/FLEn5nmn
Notes
My character is currently 95 level and I don't use Atrophy yet. I use Growth and Decay for Sirus, and respec into No Witnesses afterwards. You can stick with No Witnesses, Growth and Decay and if you are level 96, Atrophy.

Bandits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TQllOUnAL4

Gems
Soulrend - 6-Link Weapon.
Soulrend=>Awakened Controlled Destruction Support=>Awakened Swift Affliction Support=>Efficacy Support=>Empower Support=>Awakened Void Manipulation Support / Greater Multiple Projectiles Support
Explanation
This is our main skill. We use this setup in our Weapon slot because we can get +1 Level to All Socketed skills and +2 Level to Socketed Support Skills on our bow, which boosts our damage significantly. Note that I have listed 7 gems; we can pull off everything with Greater Multiple Projectiles Support as well, but it costs us 1.5m DPS, and it is not very desirable against bosses such as Sirus or Shaper. We don't need the clearspeed that GMP offers, so we switch with Void Manipulation Support for these fellas. You can kill them without Void Manipulation Support as well, but it will take more time and in big boss fights you really would like to end the fight as soon as possible.

Wither Totem - 4-Link Body Armour.
Wither=>Faster Casting Support=>Spell Totem Support=>Multiple Totems Support
Explanation
Even though it seems to be overkill to support it with FCS, I like hitting my enemies with 15 stacks of Wither in a single second. You can use it with 3 links as well.

Vaal Blight - 2-Link Body Armour
Vaal Blight => Increased Duration Support
Explanation
No, we don't channel blight like an old guy farting on a big bad boss. We use Vaal Blight to inflict a massive debuff to our enemies, boosting our DPS quite a bit, and we slam an Increased Duration Support to make sure that debuff stays on them as long as possible.

Bane 3-Link, Helmet.
Bane=>Despair=>Temporal Chains
Explanation
Bane allows us to cast our curses together with a single cast. Despair is a massive boost to our DPS, Temporal Chains makes sure our Despair, Wither and Vaal Blight stacks to stay on them while increasing the DoT duration of Soulrend so we can relocate during the fight without losing our effective DPS. You can add an Efficacy support and use it as a 4-Link skill as well if you want to squeeze out a bit more damage from Bane, which gives me 150k DPS against Sirus.
Note
I use 3-Link Bane and Portal in my Helmet, feel free to switch Portal to Efficacy Support for maximum DPS potential.

Auras 4-Link, Gloves.
Malevolence=>Zealotry=>Flesh and Stone=>Enlighten Support
Explanation
Malevolence and Zealotry boosts our DPS significantly, and thanks to Zealotry, we gain Arcane Surge whenever we create Consecrated Ground with the modifier from Watcher's Eye, which happens often enough against bosses and whenever we use a Sulphur Flask. Since we spec a couple of Reduced Mana Reservation nodes on the passive skill tree, we don't need a Level 4 Enlighten support, 3 is enough. Since we use two auras to boost our DPS, reduced mana reservation nodes gives us a good DPS boost as well, so upgrading Enlighten Level 3 to 4 to save 3 points is not beneficial at all.

Movement 2-Link, Boots.
Flame Dash=>Faster Casting Support
Explanation
You can use any movement skill you prefer, but I enjoy using Flame Dash with Faster Casting Support.

Cast When Damage Taken Setup 2-Link, Boots
Immortal Call=>Cast When Damage Taken Support

Items

Weapon
This bow is one of the most useful weapons we can use overall. Warlord Suffix "Skills fire an additional projectile" works with Soulrend, further improving our clear speed and also gives you room to use another support gem instead of Greater Multiple Projectiles Support.
You can hit marginally higher DPS numbers with dual-wand setups if you use some extremely good wands but your survivability will suffer a bit because you will be giving up the life and resists from your quiver, and you will spend several mirrors to acquire a single of those said wands.

Quiver
We want life and Chaos DoT multiplier here. Resistances are sweet as well. Try to find one with T1 life and T1 DoT multiplier if you can handle the resistances. You can get a +% Damage over time multiplier AND +% Chaos damage over time multiplier here to further increase your damage output.

Armour
Hyrri's Ire gives a huge boost to our evasion, adn the attack&spell dodge is the icing on the cake. The most important aspect of our survivability is avoiding the damage, and Hyrri's Ire is the best in slot to pull it off. We don't need a 6-Link so it should be affordable early on. I suggest you to colour your sockets with Harvest options or Jewellers method on your crafting bench.

Helmet
We use a rare Hubris Circlet here, preferrably with the "Soulrend Fires an Additional Projectile" enchant. With this enchant and the Warlord suffix from our bow, we shoot 3 projectiles without Dying Sun or Greater Multiple Projectiles Support. With 3 projectiles you can blind-shoot conquerors or bosses, as they will seek and destroy, but it usually is not enough to clear maps effectively. Either use GMP Support or Dying Sun for mapping. Nearby enemies have -9% to Chaos resistance is an excellent modifier to boost our DPS as well.

Boots
Atziri's Step is the only unique item we wear. It is not expensive from the early on, allows our spell dodge to hit the cap with flask on, and gives a significant amount of evasion along with a nice boost of life. You can use a great pair of Matatl's as well which will give you a good amount of movement speed but it will be a little bit expensive.

Belt
Stygian Vise is the best option to use in this slot, because it allows you to put on an Abyssal Jewel. Even a mediocre Abyssal Jewel can beat every implicit modifier you can find. I've went with a Hunter influenced one for the +% Life mod, and increased chaos damage is just a bonus that you can skip if it is out of your budget, it gives you less DPS than you'd think.

Gloves
Chaos DoT multiplier and life are the important stats here. I prefer evasion based gloves, but you can use Fingerless Silk Gloves for even more damage output as it gives increased spell damage as its implicit modifier. Unnerve doesn't increase our DPS since we deal DoT damage, but I have that modifier, because why not?

Rings
We prefer Vermillion Ring as bases. We get life and resists here, and we need an empty suffix on them so we can craft +1 to Minimum Frenzy Charges. Frenzy charges gives us dps and cast speed, which helps us to kill our enemies faster and a bit of survivability because we cast quicker and relocate more often.

Amulet
Here, we want an open suffix, +1 Level of Chaos Skill Gems and +1 Level of Intelligence Skill Gems. Chaos DoT multiplier is great as well, but skill levels are more important.
We annoint "Whispers of Doom" here, so we can inflict both Despair and Temporal Chains to our enemies. This is a very expensive annoint as it requires 3 golden oils, so make sure you annoint it to an amulet that you will use for a loong time. Until then, you can spec into Whispers of Doom and annoint Corruption with Black-Black-Crimson oil. We want open suffix because of the same reasons with the rings.

Jewels

Transcendent Mind is an excellent jewel that gives us a quite bit of DPS when placed correctly.

We're looking for on the Watcher's Eye are "Gain Arcane Surge for 4 seconds When You Create Consecrated Ground while affected by Zealotry" and "+# to Damage over Time Multiplier while affected by Malevolence". It is not usually easy to find, and might be a bit expensive so if you cannot afford it, prefer to use the Zealotry one.

For small jewels, prioritize %7 life and Chaos DoT multiplier. For Sirus fight, make sure you have a jewel with "Corrupted Blood cannot be inflicted on you" corrupt.

We use two Large Cluster Jewels and four Medium Cluster Jewels. Generally, most of the notables work fine, but here is my breakdown on them:

Wish for Death is the mandatory notable to get, Culling Strike is just too good to give up.

Misery Everlasting is a notable that boosts your DPS against enemies affected by Despair, which helps us to increase our damage output against bosses. You will always have Despair on them thanks to Bane, Temporal Chains and skill effect duration increases from Wicked Pall.

I like stacking Wicked Pall because it increases the DoT duration of Soulrend as well, it allows us to freely relocate after we cast Soulrend and gives a good DPS boost as well.

Eternal Suffering helps out while clearing, when we don't cast our Wither totems. At some point, our DPS is too high to benefit from this so Eternal Suffering is one of the least important notables you can get.

Brush with Death helps out to recover our life without relying on flasks while clearing. With a single cast, you can recover your life to full against a crowded pack of monsters.

Flow of Life gives a nice DPS boost and additional HP.

Unholy Grace and Unwaveringly Evil are self-descriptive. We would like to have one Unwaveringly Evil. Unholy Grace gives us everything we want as well.

Alternatives

The helmet and the bow are quite expensive if you are using this build as a league starter and won't be obtainable early on.

Cane of Unravelling is a great alternative for almost all Chaos DoT builds, and Eber's unification gives a significant DPS boost with "Void Gaze".

Two-Stone rings make it very easy to cap our resistances. Try to find with good life modifiers.

Any rare item can be replaced with other stuff. For DPS, your first goal should be increasing the level of Soulrend.

Flasks

Explanation
The prefixes on my flasks are random except for the life flask. I haven't optimized them yet, but will do in future. I use Witchfire Brew for clearing, it inflicts despair and allows me to zoom zoom hard. It can be swapped with
and you can completely forget about gem swapping as well. Since you can put a Void Manipulation Support instead of GMP Support, you won't need Despair curse from flask anyways.

All in all, this is my take on the glorious Soulrend. This guide will be updated and improved as soon as possible.

Spoiler
Special thanks to Claeysken for introducing me with the Soulrend, and LordGreedy and Miyokard for helping me to cumulate the required currency for the build, since I couldn't play a lot in this league because of my job&education

Last edited by KodiakTheBard on Aug 5, 2020, 6:47:35 PM
Last bumped on Aug 9, 2020, 6:47:57 PM
Awesome guide man!!!
Glad to see you've been able to improve this build so much!

Greetz
Thank you very much! Soulrend is such an underrated skill, it would be a shame if i did not tried to do so :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info