Bloom in Path of Exile

To be fair, just to add an important fact I clearly did not state on previous comments. I really like your new bloom system. I simply want a slider for it, or give us multiple options. I mean texture filtering has less of an obvious effect and you have 5 options for it.

So, slider too much? Give us more intervals.

For me at the moment Normal is too much, slight is too little.

A slider really would be best, but if that is too much to ask for, 5 settings should be nice. Starting perhaps at 10% (so your artists work is not "compromised" and low enough to be almost off, whatever floats your boat) and ending at your desired max. Then have 3 intervals between those two ends as options.

My sweet spot is something between slight and normal, but since every person has different tastes, just add several options for us to pick to our own desires.

I turned bloom to slight the moment I entered the Strand when the league started. First I thought the patch changed my settings, which is indeed the case, since there is no "OFF" for post-processing anymore.

I was scrambling to find "post processing" in the settings and realized quickly that stuff has changed and I turned Bloom to slight and that improved the situation on first glance.

With the "slight" setting it's acceptable in terms of bloom specifically. (I would still prefer to turn it off entirely, but respect artists that intend a certain kind of effect, its your game after all)

What I absolutely dislike though is that even the "slight" setting still has a lot of "blur" effects and things I hate personally and always was able to disable by turning post-processing off.

I wish Bloom would be separate from "Blur" and other effects that have nothing to do with "bloom". (Non-bloom effects might be still handled by the same graphics feature technically, which would explain why there is just one setting controlling different user-perceived graphics features under one setting.)

Not happy that Bloom settings include effects other than bloom under one single setting and I am forced to play with evident non-bloom-post-processing on top of "slight" bloom so that sucks...

Not ideal, but I am confident you guys will find a good solution that satisfies both the players and your artists / technical folks :)
Last edited by TOP_Commander on Jul 17, 2020, 4:13:22 PM
"
TwentyFiveEX wrote:
Time and time again, the highly vocal toxic small minority on Reddit gets the most attention.. Disappointing.

Nothing toxic about stating an opinion. And not all of us are on reddit, neither care enough to even complain and whine all the time.

There was a post addressing the issue, and most of us saw opportunity to share out thoughts.

This is the first time I for example am sharing my opinion on it. I saw the thread, I thought "yeah, id like some options, normal is too much atm", and shared them.

You need to chill your shill a little mate. Its a new implementation. If you think people giving feedback on something new added to the game is toxic, [Removed by Support].
Last edited by Natasha on Jul 17, 2020, 5:18:30 PM
Let me give you my opinion.that im sure no one will read.

1st lets talk about the present.
- Delirium: if have played delirium league and only had noticeable problems with it around 1/20 times.
-In harvest im having frame drop problems every time i got it.Somehow the update lowered it's optimization or its this new bloom technology.
-i honestly though i need to have my eyes checked because stuff i could clearly see in delirium league i can't see now or having a hard time to see it.

On artistic vision of the artist i understand it's important but you need to pick what more important.

during synthesis league my laptop stopped being able to play POE. i played it the last 2 weeks or at least tried to incase it went core so i can have at least a general feel for it. Every time i went into the memory nexus my game has insane frame drops and even crashed. if i have to guess it was the fake bloom effects.

As the result i just stopped playing the game for 2 years since i couldn't play it anymore. Now i need to use my brother old pc to play POE. MY then new laptop couldn't even run POE and it could play warframe at that stage on high.

A decision need to be made let people with low end PC play this game or don't and allow the artist to do what they want.GGG needs to pick what is more important.
All this wall of text, performance this, performance that but performance actually got worse, business as usual. [Removed by Support].

TLDR of first post:

[Removed by Support]
Last edited by Natasha on Jul 17, 2020, 5:22:47 PM
Excellent response by Bex and GGG. But unless I was totally asleep at the switch I never heard about the 25% option. I say this because I read the forums a lot and watch many youtube videos.

Maybe I missed it, but it is hard to imagine. Maybe buried in the patch notes for Harvest? Something like this should have had it's own topic in announcements and people would not have gone so crazy.

EDIT:

OK: here it is buried in the Harvest launch patch notes. Let me be clear, how does GGG expect any normal gamer to understand that there are two settings based on this announcement?

*** Alongside improvements made to Path of Exile's engine, we have changed the post-processing settings so that two specific ones are separately exposed: reducing the intensity of the new Bloom effect and disabling Blur effects (such as those played when transitioning into or out of an Incursion).

Last edited by MrWonderful99 on Jul 17, 2020, 9:13:09 PM
Can you allow players to decide bloom amounts per skill/item instead of a global %. Probably not give that option on anything in the background.
"
While the overwhelming majority of players have left the setting on its default value, a few hundred players have expressed significant concern with the Bloom effects and want a way to disable them.

So GGG either:

A.) don't know that the majority of players leave settings at their default values

or

B.) are purposefully using bad faith argument to downplay this issue.

Not sure what's worse.
"
y3lw0rC wrote:
Why couldn't you postpone this for one season or something and invent a proper system where people could have bloom OFF or ON? You could have done this "more work" in the beginning and potentially avoid all this.
There could've been very little extra work to begin with. What he was saying was that future content would involve more work because they would need to implement 2 different lighting systems for each new piece of content that emits/influences light instead of only having to implement one lighting system, in order to give us the option.

However, since they took the weird step to remove the original implementation there is now an up front cost in re-implementing it in addition to more work for future content. They've mistakenly been overconfident in the new system and left themselves in a bad situation.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Jul 17, 2020, 5:24:34 PM
Agree bloom should be a slider, ranging from <10% bloom effect (Less Than Slight) to 10-25-50-75-100 %

This accommodates everyone: artists, end users, and hardware.

I don't mind not seeing glistening on shiny surfaces if it means, when I drop a flare in the ice biome of Delve, or use frost bomb on the ground in Glacier, I can see around me what is going on and not have a blinding whitescreen.

Sorry, artists, but end user safety and utility need to come first and foremost. You're selling a product, not opening an exhibit. As an artist and illustrator, I learned this early and harshly. Making things look TOO pretty can undermine their ultimate purpose, which is to contribute to the usefulness of a product or service.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info