What does "Overwhelm" mean?

In updated Path of Bulding there are several skills that has "Overwhelm" in them but PoB or Wiki doesnt say what it does.
Last bumped on Sep 22, 2020, 1:16:40 PM
it's something new players have the first time they play xd
"Now all that's left is for you getting on your knees."
if you know thanks me:) i'm dying to find out x'D
its essentially physical penetration. i forget how the stat was worded before, but it basically took a stat that existed in flat ## form and made it "overwhelm" which is now % based
You "Overwhelm" a certain % of enemies physical resistance. Overwhelm 15% means you ignore 15% of your enemies' physical resistance.

Atleast i think thats how it works.

Not sure if its flat or not, though.
Last edited by HerrImHimmel on Jun 18, 2020, 6:30:46 PM
I don't really understand why they choose words like overwhelm and exert. The game is already complicated enough, some basic wording wouldn't hurt would it?
"
Relarious wrote:
I don't really understand why they choose words like overwhelm and exert. The game is already complicated enough, some basic wording wouldn't hurt would it?

Isn't that obvious ? If I talk about 'exerts' you know exactly what I mean. If I talk 'overwhelm' you know exactly what I mean. If I say penetration you know exactly what I mean.

It's called language. It is more precise the more vocabulary you have to your disposal.
It's how players feel when they look at the passive skillsplosiontree or the atlassplosion page.
"
dyneol wrote:

It's called language. It is more precise the more vocabulary you have to your disposal.

Except this is a game where everything is up to interpretation. just because i know that overwhelm means
verb
verb: overwhelm; 3rd person present: overwhelms; past tense: overwhelmed; past participle: overwhelmed; gerund or present participle: overwhelming

bury or drown beneath a huge mass.
"the water flowed through to overwhelm the whole dam and the village beneath"
h
Similar:
swamp

submerge
engulf
bury
deluge
flood
inundate
clog
saturate
glut
overload
beset
overburden
snow under

defeat completely.
"his teams overwhelmed their opponents"
h
Similar:
trounce

rout
beat
beat hollow
conquer
vanquish
be victorious over
gain a victory over
prevail over
get the better of
triumph over
best
worst
gain mastery over
master
overpower
overcome
overthrow
subdue
suppress
subjugate
repress
quell
quash
crush
finish
bring someone to their knees
break
thrash
lick
clobber
whip
wipe the floor with
drub
tank
blow out of the water
own
give too much of a thing to (someone); inundate.
"they were overwhelmed by farewell messages"
I always thought GGG does a pretty good job with the wording considering the sheer complexity. "Overwhelm" and "Exert" fits right into that. You learn those 2 terms once and be done with it. Your post listing all these random terms that have no specific meaning in game does not make any sense.

But of course, its yet another thing for ppl to have their irrational pick on. What isn't ?
Last edited by dyneol on Jun 18, 2020, 7:51:01 PM
"
dyneol wrote:
If I talk 'overwhelm' you know exactly what I mean. If I say penetration you know exactly what I mean.

Why do we need an "overwhelm" mechanic on top of the already established penetration mechanic though? What's wrong with physical penetration?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info