yamface wrote:
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
"
yamface wrote:
I want synthesis back.

Locked in item mods = good crafting gear
Build and connect your own maps

Man that league was great, don't know why people hated it so much.

the implementation was bad, the league itself the idea, the content, the items (after dataminers produced a list of the values you needed to get specific mods) were all great but implementation is like #1 for what your league requires to be accepted.

Bestiary was considered a bust for the exact same reason

What was so botched about the implementation? I joined synthesis 2 months late.. so probably ggg did fix things up but what exactly was so bad that people hated it so much?

I didn't like these things:
- rng "fog" - sometimes it blocked main road 10s into memory and there was nothing you could do
- puzzle pieces rng
- rewards of the puzzle weren't very good
- some map layouts in conjuction with rng fog made it even worse
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
dachoppa wrote:
i want to go play the game and not have mini games with arcane rules where you sit there not play the game and shuffle resources around.

that's why delve was so popular until they nerfed the crap outta fossil drops this league: you just click somewhere and go. no managing watchstones, sextants, scarabs and master missions or some entirely different system like betrayal or incursion.

If Delve was popular only uptil they nerfed the rewards, then that implies that Delve's popularity has very little to do with its league design, but instead was simply being propped up by the fact that it was until recently highly rewarding.

Yeah i was wondering this too lol, a lot of delve lovers suddenly don't like delve anymore and none of delve gameplay mechanics changed at all.
"
gageris wrote:

I didn't like these things:
- rng "fog" - sometimes it blocked main road 10s into memory and there was nothing you could do
- puzzle pieces rng
- rewards of the puzzle weren't very good
- some map layouts in conjuction with rng fog made it even worse

RNG screwing so many people out of the gravy train made Synthesis a colossal failure as a mechanic.

Betrayal: you could have a run of bad encounters where only one syndicant shows up, or the wrong syndicants show up, or they have trash choices, but if you do your Jun missions eventually it's inevitable you'll unveil all the mods AND get the safehouse which you can even choose to let decay and primp it up some more before blowing it.

The rewards are decent for the amount of effort.

And if things are looking bad (or undeniably good and the moment is right) you hit the reset button and go collect your one-off benches and Paradoxicas and move on with a fresh board.

Total time investment: depends, but if you binge Juns you can pop a full research safehouse every 6 hours or so. That's a lotta white sockets and pure breachstones!

Synthesis: RNG determined pretty much every "player-driven" choice with regards to building memory maps. A lot of people said it was strictly worse than Incursion because since when did you go in an incursion, tore through it with 28+ sec on the clock to spare, and just milliseconds before you went over and ganked Atmohua or used a stone to open a crucial door, a blue pall descended over the temple room and cockblocked you?

Or another Incursion comparison...like trying to open a door to the apex, except sometimes you get RNG screwed, but hey there's almost always a dynamite room if you really get screwed. Except no dynamite! Memory nexus and map positioning/pathing was among the worst RNGscrews because it could derail and hard-lock you out of progress that may have taken days to weeks.

Even when Incursion was new and people didn't understand the mechanics behind Alva's priorities, you could still get a fully-functional temple in a day's work. You had to be pretty bad at logic (or just really slow at clearing) to wind up with a frustum (a geometry term for a pyramid with the top sliced off) or worse, a strip mall (only two or three layers have passages connecting all rooms, AND the apex is blocked).

But with Synthesis, all you had to do was roll bad or get the puzzle piece that had all tabs and no slots, or all slots and no tabs, and there were a LOT of ways you could make promising progress towards a big Memory, only to have the game decide you didn't deserve it that week. Having every aspect of the league mechanic on a timer, sucked great donkey balls.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
"
gageris wrote:
I don't say these "go and smash" leagues are bad, but like several leagues in a row we have these brainless zugzug leagues (delirium, metamorph, blight, legion).
Maybe time for something a bit more complex again, like delve, incursion or betrayal? (Ok not as a complex as synthesis, that was too much).

synyhesis and beyond,pls ggg Make it happen

delirium, metamorph, blight, legion are nice
but its Dead brain.

"Make us smart"
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
gageris wrote:
I don't say these "go and smash" leagues are bad, but like several leagues in a row we have these brainless zugzug leagues (delirium, metamorph, blight, legion).
Maybe time for something a bit more complex again, like delve, incursion or betrayal? (Ok not as a complex as synthesis, that was too much).

Delve is not a complex league. And conversely Blight is not a zoom zoom league. <Snip>

I think calling Blight something other than zoom/zoom is a bit of a mistake. The towers can help but if you don't run around on blights that have 3-5 paths that are not connected then you are going to overrun at the pump. You can overcome that with AOE DPS and/or Zoom-Zoom. The towers will help you but won't solve the blight without one or the other, you will be overwhelmed fast. This becomes especially true in blighted maps and even worse in red blighted maps.

Synthesis and Betrayal are definitely examples of leagues where you had to stop and think for a moment. But just a moment (it wasn't exactly hard).

For the original thread in general:

I think Synthesis could have been incorporated with some QOL like being able to rotate the pieces and increasing their uses higher than 3 which made the micromanagement of them a bit much. Also the maximum number of pieces on the board was simply too low.

I also think that anything that can be skipped is not a problem with adding to core. I don't buy the argument about being at a disadvantage if you don't do it garbage. I skip things all the time because I simply don't feel like doing things sometimes (breaches are my biggest skip...they're just not worth it except to increase delirium rewards). I've never felt disadvantaged by it because I use that time to do other things faster.
God I hope not. I play this game to kill monsters, not to big brain some stupid league mechanic to min/max my rewards.
People whine when you don't get a choice what challenges and rewards you get

people whine when you do get a choice what challenges and rewards you get

I think people are gonna whine regardless.

Me, I'd rather have choices.

This league you get no choice until you start dropping delirium orbs. (You have the option of skipping the delirium entirely if you don't want shitty rare pajamas or white maps)

Betrayal you got to choose at every step. Jail or bargain, which mod to pick for the veiled options, where the syndicants would wind up, etc. To date it's my favourite mechanic. Except for how useless Tiny's Trial is. F that

That was too many choices for some people.

synthesis took some choices away and made choice-loving people MAD. The cost of getting cockblocked or RNG'd out of weeks of work made for a mass exodus of folks expecting better things.

Metamorph gave you choices back, but you still had the set-completion-bonus gatcha game all over again. No eyes, no boss, no reward.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
"
Rickthebk wrote:
God I hope not. I play this game to kill monsters, not to big brain some stupid league mechanic to min/max my rewards.

---

This. And people have short memories about Synthesis. The first month was beyond horrible. It is the only league I have quit early - yes it was that bad. But, that doesn't mean it wasn't fixed (from what I hear).

Anyway, does anyone believe that with the Covid virus that GGG could pull off a complex league? Not me.....
"
MrWonderful99 wrote:
"
Rickthebk wrote:

---

This. And people have short memories about Synthesis. The first month was beyond horrible. It is the only league I have quit early - yes it was that bad. But, that doesn't mean it wasn't fixed (from what I hear).

Anyway, does anyone believe that with the Covid virus that GGG could pull off a complex league? Not me.....

It is possible to have a league with both. Syndicate was an example where you could very highly min max but was still something you can meaningfully engage with even without.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Imho and it will be impopular, why not making synthesis pieces and board permanent, So you end up with some form of reward over time. With path to higher level and path to lower levels. Kind of delving except it rewards players who clear faster more advancement and that's it. The old clusterizing things(chains) can be kept, but instead of connected path it is about areas for influence.
Last edited by galuf on May 17, 2020, 4:50:48 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info