Dual Wield Swords Chaos Innoculation Build: Video, Description and Feedback

"
pneuma wrote:
As a test, I'd love to see the damage boost you'd get by picking up Avatar of Fire and swapping +lightning for +crit damage (or getting a 5L +crit damage).

I don't suggest actually doing it because it diminishes such a cool character and I know you're avoiding it, but what do you think the difference in damage would be? 2x? 3x? 5x? I'm not sure myself, so finding out would be equal parts enlightening and saddening.

I looked into it and physical damage is actually only 14% of my damage. So AoF would end up doubling that or something, for a ~15% increase in DPS. Not bad, but nothing spectacular.

Crit damage is where things would really get impressive, but sadly the build doesn't get close to any passives for that. I can get a bunch more on gear though which could end up at least doubling my damage with diamond up.

"
SpudOfDoom wrote:

I must say though, I really don't like how centralised the whole game has become around granite flasks and diamond flasks. I can't remember the last time I saw a level 60+ character that didn't have at least 3/5 of their flasks as those, except for summoners. They're a serious balance problem and will be even worse in PVP.

Yes, whenever I look at the tree and think about builds now, foremost on my mind is "how well can this build leverage diamond flasks". So that's probably not good.
Really nice build with some cool ideas.

Thanks for sharing!
Joined the ship at Thursday, February 17, 2011 at 1:15 PM.

Exiled on Wraeclast since Friday, October 28, 2011 at 6:06 AM.

Quoted from PoE - About: "Path of Exile immerses the player in a gritty and realistic art style that goes against the current industry trend of cartoony RPGs. ". NUFF SAID.
"
aimlessgun wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:
As a test, I'd love to see the damage boost you'd get by picking up Avatar of Fire and swapping +lightning for +crit damage (or getting a 5L +crit damage).

I don't suggest actually doing it because it diminishes such a cool character and I know you're avoiding it, but what do you think the difference in damage would be? 2x? 3x? 5x? I'm not sure myself, so finding out would be equal parts enlightening and saddening.

I looked into it and physical damage is actually only 14% of my damage. So AoF would end up doubling that or something, for a ~15% increase in DPS. Not bad, but nothing spectacular.

I would like to know how you calculated this 14%. It seems a bit low. Your elemental damage is hatred, wrath, added lightning damage, and elemental damage from gear. Assuming elemental damage get tripled with all bonuses, taht would mean you're doing already twice as much elemental damage than physical damage before any bonuses.
But I've seen around 240 elemental damage per cleave, and about 180 physical damage per cleave. (without considering the 30% less damage since it's applied to both anyway).

(note : I didn't consider physical and elemental damage from the tree/strength so your math might be correct)

In any case, it may be true that AoF wouldn't give you a ton of damage, less than I thought. Actually I'm glad to realize that, AoF isn't so OP afterall (still a bit though).

If not AoF, I think anger would be slightly better than hatred in your case, since you're doing so low physical damage. Hatred should be doing around 60 base damage whereas anger would be doing 100+.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
Last edited by zriL on Apr 19, 2012, 4:51:54 PM
I am running anger actually :) Wish I could run Haste too but that aura is just insanely expensive.

I got the number by looking at my attack stats in the char screen. The current stats on cleave:

MH + OH total damage: 1785-9231
MH + OH Physical damage: 266-1064

So 12% physical.

I don't know if it makes AOF less OP just because it doesn't double this particular build's damage, but it does show that Catalyze is an incredibly powerful keystone even when you don't have AoF. But mostly this is about how well Dual Wield leverages flat elemental damage, since it doubles it when using Cleave or Dualstrike.

Anyways, I finally fused a 6link! Updated the OP with a revised build that uses Concentrated Effect, and the new DPS numbers, which are pretty ridiculous tbh. Concentrated Effect might be too good with Cleave.
Last edited by aimlessgun on Apr 19, 2012, 10:49:33 PM
"
aimlessgun wrote:
I am running anger actually :) Wish I could run Haste too but that aura is just insanely expensive.

I got the number by looking at my attack stats in the char screen. The current stats on cleave:

MH + OH total damage: 1785-9231
MH + OH Physical damage: 266-1064

So 12% physical.

I don't know if it makes AOF less OP just because it doesn't double this particular build's damage, but it does show that Catalyze is an incredibly powerful keystone even when you don't have AoF. But mostly this is about how well Dual Wield leverages flat elemental damage, since it doubles it when using Cleave or Dualstrike.

Anyways, I finally fused a 6link! Updated the OP with a revised build that uses Concentrated Effect, and the new DPS numbers, which are pretty ridiculous tbh. Concentrated Effect might be too good with Cleave.

Haste would be rather useless I imagine. Since you are already using faster attacks, have IAS passives and you're using Frenzy charge, you would get very little benefit from it. Atleast I know I was seeing huge dimishing returns with Flicker Strike and speed stacking.

Just taking a quick peek at your passives and gear, and if you were to grab the three fire passives instead of the lightning. You would have 156% increased Elemental Damage.
So your physical would be more like 680-2723
So total damage would be 2199-10890 (Assumes there weren't some other modifiers)

So if I were to attempt this build, is it better to go pick up Catalyze or Chaos Inoculation first?

Running isn't freedom. You should know that.
ighnaz - Thanks for the beta key!!!!
I HAVE NO MORE BETA KEYS!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info