Does stats do enough?

Witches that need access to higher level dex support gems come to mind.

AoF templars wanting to use Mana Leech and frenzy.

Summoners are notorious for wanting it aswell, so they can use a bow and poison arrow

Dex/int class may see some desire for it so they can use armour armours, rather then evasion or energy shield armors.

Spellcasting witches that want to use +spell damage and + crit mod daggers.

Those are the ones that come off the top of my head.
My major concern is the difference in usefulness between Strength & Dexterity.

Strength gives two extremely important and sought after stats; health & raw %physical damage.

Dexterity gives two relatively minor stats. Evasion requries pretty heavy investment in other Skill Points to be useful and is sub-par to just straight up HP. Then there is Accuracy which, at least in my opinion/builds, leads to only a marginal DPS increase. Again this is sub-par compared to Strength's raw %physical damage bonus.

I can't really comment on Int as a stat since I've not had a build to rely on it yet.
99% of suggested changes would make the game easier. Thats why only 1% of suggested ideas are even worth considering.
"
EpsiIon wrote:
Witches that need access to higher level dex support gems come to mind.

And which would that be? Pierce? Greater multishot? Or faster projectile? All of them requires less than 75 dex at their highest level.

"
EpsiIon wrote:
AoF templars wanting to use Mana Leech and frenzy.

Mana Leech requires 72 dex at level 16, but actually get's no benefit after 13 so it's even less than that.

"
EpsiIon wrote:
Summoners are notorious for wanting it aswell, so they can use a bow and poison arrow]

Possibly, haven't seen a single summoner with bows after levelling 2 chars to 68.

"
EpsiIon wrote:
Dex/int class may see some desire for it so they can use armour armours, rather then evasion or energy shield armors.

Maybe. Maybe not.

"
EpsiIon wrote:
Spellcasting witches that want to use +spell damage and + crit mod daggers.

The inherent crit % on daggers does not apply to spells,and while they can receive magical mods that do, so can wands.

Those are the ones that come off the top of my head. [/quote]
"
arual wrote:
My major concern is the difference in usefulness between Strength & Dexterity.

Strength gives two extremely important and sought after stats; health & raw %physical damage.

Dexterity gives two relatively minor stats. Evasion requries pretty heavy investment in other Skill Points to be useful and is sub-par to just straight up HP. Then there is Accuracy which, at least in my opinion/builds, leads to only a marginal DPS increase. Again this is sub-par compared to Strength's raw %physical damage bonus.

I can't really comment on Int as a stat since I've not had a build to rely on it yet.

I thought about making a discussion about how str as a main attribute is stronger when compared to dex and intelligence, but decided that it was better to focus on one subject at hand first. But I do agree with you, that stacking dex on a ranger, or int on a witch, is not as good as stacking str on a marauder.
Well I'll agree with you that a dex int char might want it. That's mostly lightning strike is a red gem (though like it's been said, the str req can easily be gotten by a belt). Or the fact that that necklace gives +100 str so you get awesome +phys and health. I'm currently leveling a str / int char, starting ranger, but taking the dagger trees. It's silly that my char would be significantly better if all the dex / int nodes were str nodes.

I agree with the general consensus that the +stat nodes feel like a waste.
Pls do us a favor and count all your str/int/dex nodes and then compare the value by this with the values you get by gear, other passives and even skill gems.

Even if a marauder has 100str more:
-just 50hp, with this you don't jump from squishy to immortal
-just 20%increased phys, not 200% and not 2000%, just 20%increased additive to other increased phys. Which a usual melee build has a lot just by gear, passives, gems

Those discissions about "oh my god a strength build is 100times better because of i dreamed about it" are not right. (prefer nonsense but want to be kind :p)
English is my third language, there will be bugs.
Stats are okay how they are. They originally were just going to be gear requirements. As long as they design around them it will be fine. The game is having some growing pains currently and there is a lack of cohesion between different game systems.
Last edited by Watlok on Apr 18, 2012, 9:41:46 AM
"
The amulet would have been prettier if instead of damage reduction it came with elemental resists.

Interesting. I would definitely find more appeal in it

I personally think stats should have a much larger effect. I dont want to spend hours on end mulling over the tree to find out how to min/max it best, thats boring after like 10 minutes. If stats are actually useful, then i would be much happier. They make such a small difference now, and i feel slightly disappointed in them
"
cavemandiary2 wrote:

Mana Leech requires 72 dex at level 16, but actually get's no benefit after 13 so it's even less than that.

4% is reached at gem lvl 20.

"
cavemandiary2 wrote:

The inherent crit % on daggers does not apply to spells,and while they can receive magical mods that do, so can wands.

They do actually.
Unviable build tester.
Fuse mechanics:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/21503
95% Crit Build Without Charges [0.10.1c]:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/172438
Last edited by Progammer on Apr 18, 2012, 10:57:26 AM
"
Progammer wrote:
"
cavemandiary2 wrote:

4% is reached at gem lvl 20.

"
cavemandiary2 wrote:

They do actually.

Then again, 3% does the trick in most cases. I didn't know about daggers, it seems very counter intuitive since there's a specific mod saying that increases spell chance.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info