GGPK Defragmenter

Drakier's implementation no longer works: https://imgur.com/a/oOCJFSF

I suspect the file format has changed.

Annoyingly none of these defragmenters nor GGG's official Pack Check tool output to log files and both automatically close when finished... so I have to video record the programs to capture their outputs.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Apr 24, 2021, 2:10:49 AM
"

Use PackCheck or see previous couple pages if you want to use the updated third party tools.

"
Annoyingly none of these defragmenters nor GGG's official Pack Check tool output to log files and both automatically close when finished... so I have to video record the programs to capture their outputs.

PackCheck doesn't autoclose when finished:
Spoiler
Press <ENTER> to quit...

The Ruby script doesn't autoclose when finished:
Spoiler
Press a key to close this application.

I honestly forgot what the C# program does since I didn't keep it.

Instead of video capture, consider redirecting their output to a logfile of your choice.
"
Zoxc wrote:
I was bored and made a tool to defragment Path of Exile's GGPK files. I shaved 850 MB off my client by using this.

It's a console application which takes two arguments, the filename of the GGPK to copy and a filename for the defragmented output.

Download Windows executable - Source code

Support edit: Above exe download link has stopped working. Drakier has provided the original and a slightly modified download for the exe and source code (adds version number), as well as linux friendly code:

Usage Instructions:
Run it. If that fails, drag and drop the Content.ggpk from your Path of Exile folder on it.

Note for Steam Users: Don't use this.

This is certainly cool, but better find how to fix the problem with textures in the game, otherwise the developers will not have the brains to fix it

"
grinvader wrote:
"

Use PackCheck or see previous couple pages if you want to use the updated third party tools.

"

PackCheck doesn't autoclose when finished:
Spoiler
Press <ENTER> to quit...

The Ruby script doesn't autoclose when finished:
Spoiler
Press a key to close this application.

I honestly forgot what the C# program does since I didn't keep it.

Instead of video capture, consider redirecting their output to a logfile of your choice.
Well then they both auto-close when an error is encountered. Neither prompts me to press a key after the process has begun.

I wasn't sure if they'd support outputting to a log file, is it just "program.exe > text.txt" ?

Have you tried the programs with the current release of the game? It'd be nice to get some confirmation.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Apr 27, 2021, 4:16:09 AM
"
I wasn't sure if they'd support outputting to a log file, is it just "program.exe > text.txt" ?

Yes (in command prompt), you can also point it somewhere else with
"program.exe > s:\omewhere\else\log.txt" if needed.

"
Have you tried the programs with the current release of the game? It'd be nice to get some confirmation.

The third-party updated ruby script and C# program work with current patch (3.14.0c). GGG's own PackCheck also does a very good job of cleaning things now.

Generally if there's no new discussion about the tools not working, you can trust that they do.
"
grinvader wrote:
"

Yes (in command prompt), you can also point it somewhere else with
"program.exe > s:\omewhere\else\log.txt" if needed.

"

The third-party updated ruby script and C# program work with current patch (3.14.0c). GGG's own PackCheck also does a very good job of cleaning things now.

Generally if there's no new discussion about the tools not working, you can trust that they do.

Well it seems something broke or is breaking my copy of the Ruby scripted defragmenter. I get this from PackCheck:

Checking pack file Content.ggpk...
Done. All file hashes are in sync.

Press any key to continue . . .
Computer specifications:
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Apr 28, 2021, 6:08:30 AM
"
Well it seems something broke or is breaking my copy of the Ruby scripted defragmenter.

Remember, you have to patch the original script using the instructions in the linked post for it to work. It's not that the format changed, it's more that the original script didn't interpret the format right (which worked for a certain version but not for the current one).

"
I get this from PackCheck:

Weird. Are you playing through Steam or the standalone client ? I use the latter and PackCheck's output looks like that now.
Last edited by grinvader on Apr 29, 2021, 4:14:18 AM
"
grinvader wrote:
"
Well it seems something broke or is breaking my copy of the Ruby scripted defragmenter.

Remember, you have to patch the original script using the instructions in the linked post for it to work. It's not that the format changed, it's more that the original script didn't interpret the format right (which worked for a certain version but not for the current one).

"
I get this from PackCheck:

Weird. Are you playing through Steam or the standalone client ? I use the latter and PackCheck's output looks like that now.

Stand alone release of POE. Drakkier's tool runs in to an issue at the very end of processing the file so nothing ends up happening to the file on the HDD (unsure what to do with the script you link to). GGG PakCheck reports the file is already good and doesn't make any attempt to compact the files (no clue if it thinks it's already compacted).
Computer specifications:
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Apr 29, 2021, 9:57:42 AM
"
Stand alone release of POE. Drakkier's tool runs in to an issue at the very end of processing the file so nothing ends up happening to the file on the HDD (unsure what to do with the script you link to).

Drakier's tool was built with old source that didn't read the format correctly, which worked on old files but not anymore. The post I linked to is the 2-line modification to the source to make it work again. If that's out of your league, consider using the C# tool instead.

"
GGG PakCheck reports the file is already good and doesn't make any attempt to compact the files (no clue if it thinks it's already compacted).

Try to delete PackCheck.exe so it gets redownloaded. The new one definitely does extra work.
Spoiler
PackCheck.exe (932504 bytes)
crc32: 2680f6ef
md5: ee7d985ff6c5370094ba0f35466254e9
sha1: 579af427320075af2553a3e412d19041be974cee
"
grinvader wrote:
Try to delete PackCheck.exe so it gets redownloaded. The new one definitely does extra work.
Spoiler
PackCheck.exe (932504 bytes)
crc32: 2680f6ef
md5: ee7d985ff6c5370094ba0f35466254e9
sha1: 579af427320075af2553a3e412d19041be974cee

Thanks for the checksums, mine is a different version to yours. I've been launching the game via PathOfExile_x64.exe and maybe that program is only updating gameplay files and none of the extra programs.

I've now run Client.exe and it's done a slow full verification of files and is now slowly allocating disk space (I dunno why, the game is up to date).

Edit: It's now downloading 15GB's of data o_o despite me playing the game fine yesterday. I removed Packcheck from the folder before I ran Client.exe and it looks like I won't know if it redownloads it until after the arbitrary 15GB download completes (so around 15 to 20 minutes).
Computer specifications:
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on May 1, 2021, 5:31:57 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info