[3.16] Coldslinger | Vortex | Creeping Frost | League Start | SSF | CI/LL

This guide could really use a Dangerous Map Mods section.

Since the author is not much around could a more seasoned player chip in?

Obvious stuff:
Elemental reflect
Reductions to block
No Life, ES, mana recovery/leech are annoying.
(Watcher's Eye Es on Hit + Ring mana on hit can help)

Dangerous combos:
Curses + reduced res + mobs crit
Last edited by pra-lima87 on Mar 2, 2021, 8:03:33 AM
"
pra-lima87 wrote:
This guide could really use a Dangerous Map Mods section.

Since the author is not much around could a more seasoned player chip in?

Obvious stuff:
Elemental reflect
Reductions to block
No Life, ES, mana recovery/leech are annoying.
(Watcher's Eye Es on Hit + Ring mana on hit can help)

Dangerous combos:
Curses + reduced res + mobs crit
The only mod you should be avoiding is elemental reflect. And even with ele reflect, I save any juicy maps with this mod until I roll reflect immunity on a sextant (very common). Use a mana potion for no regen maps (don't waste a mod on your WE or ring for this map mod). Reroll invitations that have reductions to block (regular maps with this mod are fine). The rest of these can be run safely if your playstyle matches this build.

I've seen a couple comments recently on this thread about positioning, and there seems to be some confusion about the build's playstyle. You want to stay behind your projectiles. I know this may feel slow, and it is compared to builds like Toxic Rain. But in exchange for a slightly slower mapping playstyle you also get a build that can kill bosses efficiently. So your playstyle should be a stutter step, where you fire FrostBolt every few moments to coincide with vortex coming off cooldown and your mana regen allowing the cast to proc vortex ahead of you. This allows you to stay behind a wave of damage. Getting into melee range will get you killed without materially improving your clear speed.

This is one of the few builds where movement speed doesn't equal better clear speed, but there are a few ways to improve your clear speed: 1) take the Profane Bloom Ascendancy and stack global AoE mods (40-60% increased would be ideal) to allow for chain explosions, 2) stack attack speed to make your stutter step faster, 4) stack projectile speed to make your wave of damage move faster, 3) stack cooldown reduction and mana regen to improve vortex's cast rate, 4) socket two Frozen Trails or use a multiple projectile support gem to increase the number of FrostBolts proccing vortex (note there's a max of 5 vortex proccs per cast so more than that is overkill).

If you do try to increase the base clear speed (over what following the guide will get you), please note that you'll need to balance these things. For example, ramping up your attack speed won't improve clear without also increasing projectile speed. As another example, increasing projectile speed won't improve clear without also increasing vortex's cast rate and making sure your mana regen can handle the faster casting.
Last edited by kevinbrightblade on Mar 2, 2021, 11:38:45 AM
"
The only mod you should be avoiding is elemental reflect.

Really? I think some mods even without ele reflect can be very rippy.
Maybe is the PS4 slowdown that is actually rippy :)

"
The only mod you should be avoiding is elemental reflect.
Use a mana potion for no regen maps (don't waste a mod on your WE or ring for this map mod).

I think is good to have a backup just for this map mod. You might loose the more efficient mods but is a nice situational backup.

"

snip.... you fire FrostBolt every few moments to coincide with vortex coming off cooldown and your mana regen allowing the cast to proc vortex ahead of you. This allows you to stay behind a wave of damage. Getting into melee range will get you killed without materially improving your clear speed.

snip.. 1) take the Profane Bloom Ascendancy and stack global AoE mods (40-60% increased would be ideal) to allow for chain explosions, 2) stack attack speed to make your stutter step faster, 4) stack projectile speed to make your wave of damage move faster, 3) stack cooldown reduction and mana regen to improve vortex's cast rate, 4) socket two Frozen Trails or use a multiple projectile support gem to increase the number of FrostBolts proccing vortex (note there's a max of 5 vortex proccs per cast so more than that is overkill).

Can´t get more detailed them this. A lot of room to min/max this build.
Last edited by pra-lima87 on Mar 2, 2021, 12:41:22 PM
Hey there, i leveled to 100 using this build as my starter.

I stayed CI with energy shield throughout the entire thing. It's actually my first level 100 ever (gambled a HH with ancient orbs, used an ES belt on bosses, its in my inventory).

It was a lot of fun, ty for this build.
I didnt copy it 100% and stayed CI as i said.
"
Quakles wrote:
Hey there, i leveled to 100 using this build as my starter.

I stayed CI with energy shield throughout the entire thing. It's actually my first level 100 ever (gambled a HH with ancient orbs, used an ES belt on bosses, its in my inventory).

It was a lot of fun, ty for this build.
I didnt copy it 100% and stayed CI as i said.

CI is so satisfying. But I think the LL version is a lot of fun too.
Incandescent Heart + CI is so Tanky.
Been playing this build and stayed CI too. If you like to speed clear and charge into packs look for a chest with recover ES on kill. You can also skip the Cinderswallow Urn. Make sure yo have recover ES on block and GB.

I stayed will power siphon. the number of projectiles feels better. I landed 15% power siphon attack speed plus some extra on my gloves handles the QOL issue. I linked cold snap with CWDT to keep frenzy charges up when I'm in a brawl.

Hi There,

I am really enjoying the build so far!

Just had a question:

- I am still leveling this build and i'm at 68 now.
I have the 6 link spellslinger set-up and the 2 link spellslinger set-up and running discipline, I have 119 mana unreserved and I really need a mana flasks to not go oom (because of spamming vortex all the time) is there a certain passive point or item that will ensure I don't need a mana flask anymore?

Not sure if i'm missing something

Thanks in advance!
Ah found it, it's probably mystic bullwark and Prodigal Perfection?
At hight tier maps ailments can be really troublesome. Since we don't have a lot of regen how do you guys mitigate that?

When mapping and killing a lot of stuff is fine. But if there is no one to kill or attack a ailment can very easily deplete 9k es ;/
"
pra-lima87 wrote:
At hight tier maps ailments can be really troublesome. Since we don't have a lot of regen how do you guys mitigate that?

When mapping and killing a lot of stuff is fine. But if there is no one to kill or attack a ailment can very easily deplete 9k es ;/

Corrupted blood immunity on jewel, flasks with immunites like ignite etc...
Guess you can get avoid ailments crafts on gear if its that big of a problem for you.

I actually died to the canyon boss randomly before because of ignite with 11k ES.
Last edited by Quakles on Mar 6, 2021, 12:21:11 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info