[3.16] Coldslinger | Vortex | Creeping Frost | League Start | SSF | CI/LL

"
Gholaduncan wrote:
i just tried.. got 10kES but with no evade/armor phys mitigation it's dying all the time. glass cannon. I don't see how you can level with that :(

You should be fine with 10k ES. It is a DoT build, Vortex base duration is 3 seconds and Artic Breath base duration is 5 seconds. You don't need to stand still reattacking when facing hard enemies. You can move around dodging stuff.

"
Clydehart wrote:
"
haitike wrote:
I want to try this build for the December minileagues but I've never leveled spellslinger and I have some doubts about leveling.

- I see you take shield nodes very early in act 2. It is better to use wand and shield for spellslinger than dual wielding? It is the attack damage from both wands not added to spellslinger?

- While leveling with spellslinger which recipe is better, the flat lightning damage added to spells (alt, topaz ring) or the increased physical damage one (rustic sash, blacksmith) as you get better wand bases with more base damage?

- Using frenzy as the attack skill do we cast the lightning spells at maximum internal spellslinger cooldown (0.6?) with a shield? I see some older guides using barrage or faster attacks.

Thanks.

When dual wielding wands for Spellslinger, it requires you to have 2 good/comparable wands to be worth it. I figure at league start, people are very unlikely to come across 2 good damage wands, so I stuck with the wand + shield.

Flat lightning damage added to spells is significantly better than the increased physical damage one.

Yes, your attack rate using Frenzy and a ~1.3 aps wand is pretty much dead on the internal Spellslinger cooldown. Using barrage/faster attacks while leveling is very unnecessary since most things die in 1 shot, and it's better to have 12% more damage from the 3 Frenzy charges.

Thanks for the answers. I played Vortex / Cold Snap in the past but never a spellslinger version. I will try it in the flashback league.
Last edited by haitike on Dec 13, 2020, 5:33:11 PM
Im trying this in flashback and so far its pretty decent, but just one question, how can you attack and cast vortex on your lmb while standing still, my character starts moving before casting vortex unless my mouse is exactly on my character.
I tried different setups using the always attack without casting, holding shift but my character will always move a few steps, sorry if this is a dumb question or if you've already answered a similar question.
Anyone know any good ways to increase chance of getting Rime Gaze in SSF? Targeting cold nodes in delve perhaps?
Last edited by otterrr on Dec 21, 2020, 12:24:30 AM
Loving this build. Thanks OP! I started out as Vortex Cold Snap but wanted something with a little more flair and this is way better and more fun.

"
kai279 wrote:
Im trying this in flashback and so far its pretty decent, but just one question, how can you attack and cast vortex on your lmb while standing still, my character starts moving before casting vortex unless my mouse is exactly on my character.
I tried different setups using the always attack without casting, holding shift but my character will always move a few steps, sorry if this is a dumb question or if you've already answered a similar question.

Press and hold LMB for just a half second then (with LMB still held) press down and hold RMB. You'll stand in place and spam Vortex and Frenzy.
I also put Vortex on my Q so I can cast by itself without Frenzy (example: blight encounter with stacked spawn points I just hold Q and wait).
Hey playing this build right now in flashback .. Works pretty well.. did minor changes to tree.. want o grab the elusive for example.. but mostly the same. Current gear:

Slammed a new Wand with delve fossils tho.. just need to craft it and then im set at this item slot i guess:

Last edited by Obermaster10 on Dec 23, 2020, 2:12:47 PM
This build looks interesting, planning on adding it to my list for league start next month.

If anyone could link me a video of some map clear I would appreciate it
As i whispered you during Mayhem, and playing it again during Flashback (cheap budget CI), i really love the build.. red tier map bosses can take a moment but its still smooth cruisiing.. i may try the LL version in 3.13 league
Big kudos
Hi. Awesome guide! 1 question thought. Can anyone tell me what the pros of using Storm brand to Proc EE are over using lets say, wave of conviction? Thanks! Happy holidays!
Hello, will it be updated to 3.13 ?
"
jeb8d wrote:
Hi. Awesome guide! 1 question thought. Can anyone tell me what the pros of using Storm brand to Proc EE are over using lets say, wave of conviction? Thanks! Happy holidays!

Glad you're enjoying it!

Storm brand is the best thing to proc EE on bosses since it attaches to them for the entire duration and is refreshed when the trigger craft cooldown is up. Wave of Conviction will have 2 different damage types (fire and lightning) with a 5 second cooldown in-between each cast using the trigger craft. Also, Wave of Conviction exposure does not stack with Frost Bomb exposure, so it makes it a little redundant. The CI version of this build will shred regular mobs, and only ever really has a "tough" time (more than 15 seconds to kill) with red-tier bosses. Lastly, if you're using the LL variation and use Hatred, it will make it deal cold damage as well, which will not allow you to proc EE.

I'd recommend swapping out orb of storms for ball lightning for the best proc experience on regular mobs. Hope this helps!
Coldslinger: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2797749

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info