[3.12] Occultist | Coldslinger | Vortex | Creeping Frost | League Start |Endgame | SSF [CI/LL]
Ever wanted to throw your balls at someone and watch them explode? How about stop global warming? This build will carry you from the very a league start to endgame content with minimal investment, or you can go nutty and throw your wallet out the window to min/max.
This build focuses on Cold DoT (damage over time), where it uses the combination of two cold DoT spells for the main damage: Vortex and Creeping Frost. However, instead of the traditional, clunky self-cast, it utilizes two separate Spellslinger setups to launch out Frostbolt and Creeping Frost. When Vortex is self-cast while there are frostbolts on the screen, it will consume the Frostbolt to dump a Vortex there. Turns out, you can cover your map in about 3-4 attacks. There are two variations: CI and LL. Both can complete all endgame content, but the LL version is vastly superior.
○ Put Vortex on LMB. Attack (Frenzy) on RMB. Attack. Profit.
League Starter POB for 3.12:
○ Level 85 CI version: 850k shaper dps
Fork POB pastebin: https://pastebin.com/qP1nbBH6
Vanilla POB pastebin: https://pastebin.com/atcUpw3u
Endgame POB for 3.12:
○ Level 86 LL version: 3m shaper dps
Fork POB pastebin: https://pastebin.com/KXvqxfZy
Old POBs (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK):
○ [EE Low-life endgame] Level 90 LL version: 2.5m shaper dps: Will update once Spellslinger is updated in POB. Too lazy to manually calculate reservation values. Old POB: https://pastebin.com/rjX2hqNa
○ [No EE Low-life endgame]- requires cluster jewels Level 92 LL version: 2.5m shaper dps: Will update once Spellslinger is updated in POB. Too lazy to manually calculate reservation values. Old POB: https://pastebin.com/aGd9s2aZ
Old Experimental POBs (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK):
○ [Tanky/Delving endgame]-Experimental Level 94 LL version: 2.5m shaper dps: Will update once Spellslinger is updated in POB. Too lazy to manually calculate reservation values. Old POB: https://pastebin.com/P2VTxhxs
○ [No EE League starter/Budget/SSF] Level 85 CI version: 600k shaper dps Will update once Spellslinger is updated in POB. Too lazy to manually calculate reservation values. Old POB: https://pastebin.com/2dG0Y9MX
Table of Contents
○ About This Build
○ Gem links
○ Ascendancy, Skill Tree, and Pantheon
○ 9/22/20- Updated LL build
○ 9/20/20- Modified leveling progression based on feedback received.
○ 9/17/20- Updated POB for league start. Other POBs will be updated once league launches/POB is updated for the nerfed Spellslinger.
○ 7/7/20- Added experimental POBs that use WoC for -25% cold resistance.
○ 7/1/20- Further optimized the min/maxed endgame build. Now utilizes both Enfeeble and Temporal Chains, with Malediction being picked up instead of Vile Bastion.
○ 7/1/20- Added a "Mega budget" version to CI PoB.
○ 6/22/20- Wintertide is awful for this build. Do not use it.
○ 6/19/20- Updated league starter for 3.11. Will need to playtest Wintertide to see if it's worth it.
○ 4/16/20- Looks like GGG is keeping their "fix" (nerf) to the Cold Snap + Spellslinger interaction in patch 3.10.1d hush-hush. This is a buff.
○ 4/9/20- Added Deathless Shaper Video
○ 4/5/20- Updated PoBs, now using the new jewel clusters! (thanks to Soyaro for suggesting to look into the jewels). All versions now use Rime Gaze.
○ 3/29/20- Optimized low-life version with discipline/reservation nodes. Working on CI variation, but similar change there.
○ 3/22/20- Original
○ 4/9/20- [3.10] Deathless Shaper: https://youtu.be/g1QEZPi7kYs
About This Build
○ Vortex cast is instantaneous, so it can be held down while moving around and using flame dash.
○ When Vortex is held down while attacking with Frenzy, it will launch Frostbolts and Vortex on top of the Frostbolts. A Frozen Trail jewel is utilized to send out additional projectiles for the Vortex to cast on.
○ At the same time as all of this Creeping Frost will be launched to apply Bonechill.
Gear and Gem links for CI Version
○ Items are for reference only. Do not copy the colors in the items.
○ Helmet: Spellslinger + Creeping Frost + Bone Chill + Hypothermia. At league start, just use a rare or regular Rime. Once the league is a few days/weeks in, grab a corrupted +2 cold, projectile, aoe, or duration.
○ Chest: Vortex + Efficacy + Inspiration + Elemental Focus + Swift Affliction + Controlled Destruction. This is the priority of gems, inspiration is necessary to minimize Vortex's mana cost (which is pretty hefty). Just hold your Vortex key while you run through maps and fire off Frenzy, this will litter the ground with Vortices. Prioritize high ES + resistances rare -> Beast Fur Shawl -> Incandescent Heart.
○ Wand [All variations]: Storm Brand, Frost Bomb, and Orb of Storms. It is required to have them in this order, with the wand "Trigger a socketed spell when you use a skill." This is solely for the EE proc and Frost Bomb debuff. Prioritize +1 to all cold spells, as this will scale globally with all of your damage spells. Ensure it has "Trigger a socketed spell when you use a skill" or an open suffix to craft it on. % Spell damage, % cold damge, % area damage, or % cold damage over time multiplier is icing on the cake but not required for endgame.
○ Shield: Spellslinger + Frostbolt, Discipline. Do not link Discipline to the Spellslinger setup. Prioritize ES -> resistances -> +1 to level of cold spells -> % spell damage.
○ Rings: Prioritize resistances -> flat ES/% ES -> attributes -> % faster start of ES recharge.
○ Gloves: Frenzy (level 1) + GMP (level 1) + Hextouch Support + Frostbite. Prioritize ES -> +% cold damage multiplier -> resistances.
First 2L: Flame Dash + Arcane Surge (level 5). Second 2L: Cast When Damage is Taken (level 1) + Immortal Call (level 3). Prioritize ES -> movement speed -> resistances.
Prioritize +1 to level of all cold skill gems/+1 to level of all intelligence skill gems -> % increased ES -> resistances -> attributes. If you're looking for the most damage and an empty wallet, you can opt for +1 to cold gems, +1 to int gems, or +% cold damage over time multiplier. Anoint "Tranquility" if you've got the cash, but "Breath of Rime", "Sanctity", or "Flash Freeze" are good alternatives.
○ Belt [All variations]:
There is no competing with Bated Breath. The cost is 1 alch, and it gives a ton of ES and survivability with 50% increased ES recharge rate.
#2: Rumi's Concoction
#3: Cinderswallow Urn
#4: Sulphur flask
#5: Utility flask. This can be Quartz/Basalt/Jade/Granite/Resitances
Bandits, Ascendancy, Skill Tree, and Pantheon
○Bandits: Kill all
○Ascendancy: Vile Bastion → Void Beacon → Frigid Wake → Profane Bloom
○ Tree Level 85 [League Start - CI]: http://poeurl.com/c06V
○ Major Pantheon: Soul of Lunaris
○ Minor Pantheon: Soul of Gruthkul
Fastest Leveling/League Start Progression
○ Tree progression: See the above "Bandits, Ascendancy, Skill Tree, and Pantheon. In general: prioritize %spell damage nodes to progress through the acts quicker. You can grab the life nodes that branch off the normal tree to avoid dying until you have higher ES gear, but I don't think its worth the respec. Grab CI at the end of act 7 / beginning of act 8 to avoid wiping the sewer floors with your face.
○ Gear Progression: Use any wands with high flat damage (Physical, Cold, Lightning, or Fire). Spellslinger uses the wands base damage and adds it to the spells damage. Having a decent, flat damage wand will help while leveling. For armor, prioritize flat life/flat ES.
○ Act 1:
-Grab Freezing Pulse + Arcane Surge + Added Lightning Damage + Added Cold Damage until you can get Arc.
-Buy Power Siphon to be used later on with the Spellslinger setup. Frenzy is better if you have that instead to be used in Act 3.
-Buy Vitality and use it immediately. The amount of regen this provides early on is amazing.
-Grab Creeping Frost but don't use it (put it in alternate weapons or open gem slots to level as you progress).
-Grab Flame dash and link it to Arcane Surge for more damage. Keep Arcane Surge at level 4 or lower. Swap Arcane Surge in your damage setup for another gem since you'll be using it in Flame Dash instead.
-Once you can get Arc, use the following links in priority: Arc + Added Lightning Damage + Added Cold Damage + Elemental Focus + Controlled Destruction + Faster Casting.
○ Act 2:
-Continue using Arc.
-Make sure to grab Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus when available and link them into Arc if you haven't already.
-Grab Wave of Conviction but don't use it (put it in alternate weapons or gem slots to level as you progress). Grab Frenzy to be used later on.
○ Act 3:
-Grab Spellslinger ASAP. As soon as you grab Spellslinger, everything will become a joke. Link: Spellslinger + Arc + Added Lightning Damage + Controlled Destruction. Buy another Spellslinger and link it with: Spellslinger + Wave of Conviction (from earlier) + Added Lightning + Elemental Focus. Drop Vitality until you have enough mana reservation to use it (keep it in an alternate weapon or open gem slot to level still). You'll only have enough mana to use two 4L Spellslinger setups. Spellslinger will trigger both spell setups with one attack.
-Use the Spell Siphon you got earlier to trigger your Spellslinger. If you have Frenzy, use that instead.
-Grab Vortex but don't use it (put it in alternate weapons or open gem slots to level as you progress).
-Grab Conductivity, but don't use it (put it in alternate weapons or open gem slots to level as you progress).
-Buy Frostbite, but don't use it (put it in alternate weapons or open gem slots to level as you progress).
-Buy Discipline, but don't use it (put it in alternate weapons or open gem slots to level as you progress).
-You will be using lightning spells to level up until Act 10. Lightning spells are not the main build, but provide an insanely quick, smooth leveling experience. Using the Coldslinger links in the build are good, but not as quick as leveling with lightning spells.
○ Act 4:
-Grab Curse on Hit and Greater Multiple projectiles when possible.
-Link Frenzy (or Power Siphon if you don't have Frenzy) + Conductivity (gotten in Act 3) + Hextouch Support + Greater Multiple Projectiles (or Lesser Multiple Projectiles if you don't have the dex).
-Buy Bonechill Support, but don't use it (put it in alternate weapons or open gem slots to level as you progress).
-Buy 2x Efficacy Support, but don't use it (put it in alternate weapons or open gem slots to level as you progress).
○ Act 5:
-MAKE SURE YOU GRAB FROZEN TRAIL.
○ Act 6:
-By this point, you should have enough reservation available to add Vitality back in. Add it in.
-Complete Lily's quest so you can buy any skill gem you want.
-Buy Inspiration, but don't use it (put it in alternate weapons or open gem slots to level as you progress).
-Buy Swift Affliction, but don't use it (put it in alternate weapons or open gem slots to level as you progress).
○ Act 7:
-Nothing of note here. Continue.
○ Act 8:
-MAKE SURE YOU GRAB CONQUEROR'S EFFICIENCY. Socket it in the available jewel socket near Elemental Equilibrium or the left side of the tree.
-Somewhere towards the middle of Act 8, you should have enough available mana to put in discipline. Add it in when available.
-MAKE SURE YOU GRAB CONQUEROR'S EFFICIENCY. Socket it in the available jewel socket near Elemental Equilibrium.
○ Act 9:
-Nothing of note here. Continue.
○ Act 10:
-Swap to the actual Coldslinger build now, this requires 2 Spellslinger setups.
-Put your Frozen trail gem in the jewel socket by Glancing Blows.
-Swap out Conductivity in your Hextouch setup with Frostbite.
-Swap one spellslinger setup as Spellslinger + Creeping Frost (should be a high level since you were leveling it the entire time) + Bone Chill + Swift Affliction. If you have a Rime Gaze helmet, put it in that.
-Swap the second spellslinger setup as Spellslinger + Frostbolt. Do not link it with anything else.
-Bring out the Vortex you were leveling. Link Vortex + Efficacy + Inspiration + Elemental Focus + Swift Affliction + Controlled Destruction (in that order of priority). Put Vortex on your left click. Since it is an instant cast, you will constantly cast it as you walk around. When you attack, you will launch out a Creeping Frost + Frostbolt. Vortex will be cast on top of all the Frostbolts that go out.
Last edited by Clydehart on Sep 22, 2020, 8:24:21 PM
Last bumped on Sep 22, 2020, 9:53:30 PM
on Mar 19, 2020, 7:43:05 PM
on Mar 19, 2020, 7:43:13 PM
on Mar 19, 2020, 7:43:19 PM
on Mar 19, 2020, 7:43:26 PM
on Mar 19, 2020, 7:43:34 PM
HI,I have been play this build ,and i like it ,ty
I have a question here , why do you link cold snap with Efficacy not Hypothermia?
on Mar 19, 2020, 9:14:24 PM
Glad you like the build! The helmet is a shaper helmet, with the affix "Socketed Gems are Supported By Level 16-20 Hypothermia." This allows you to utilize Efficacy. If you don't have a helmet with this mod, it's definitely better to use hypothermia than efficacy for the benefit of Bonechill!
on Mar 19, 2020, 9:36:25 PM
I'm excited to see there are some others experimenting with Spellslinger+Cold, Good Work! I actually attempted a low-life crit cold build first. I didn't have the attack/cast speed to really push the damage. I wanted to hear your thoughts on two things I'm struggling with.
- How has your survivability been in red tier maps? I'm at 7K ES, but I do not have the Sorrow of the Divine. I've really struggled and I feel like a stiff breeze will take me down.
- I noticed that in your Low Life version, you only run Malevolence on Blood Magic. That means you have ~50% of your HP available for another aura. Why do you only have that one on blood magic?
on Mar 21, 2020, 11:13:41 AM
Blood magic gives you a high multiplier 100%+ until like lvl 18-19 so you can't even use malevolence with it until then as it will reserve over 100% of your life.
on Mar 21, 2020, 4:27:23 PM
As Hydras said, BM has a ridiculously high multiplier- so only one aura.
In terms of survivability- it's been okay, but I still struggle with T16s and Delirium (mostly because of on-death effects. I'm like a bug attracted to a bright light when it comes to on-death mechanics...). I recently tuned the build a little, to allow for the use of discipline- which has now put the CI variation up to about 8.8k ES and low life to 7.8k ES. The single, most powerful item to boost survivability is a watcher's eye with % faster start of ES regen while using discipline (brings the regen timer from 1.5s to 1s). In specific to your build (looks like you have a trickster variant), you'll need to heavily invest in hybrid gear or bump up your evasion much more to make the perfect form worth it.
on Mar 22, 2020, 2:31:05 PM