[3.10] Queen of Frosted Balls, Vortex Spellslinger (CI or LL): League Start to Endgame | All Content

Ever wanted to throw your balls at someone and watch them explode, both the balls and them? How about stopping global warming? Or maybe you don't want to invest your mother, sister and goat worth of jewel clusters to make a build that can face-roll through maps. If so, this build is for you! This build will carry you from the very a league start to endgame content with minimal investment, or you can go nutty and throw your wallet (around 9 exalts, 3 weeks into the league) out the window to min/max.

This build focuses on Cold DoT (damage over time), where it uses the combination of three cold DoT spells: Vortex, Cold Snap, and Arctic Breath. Instead of the traditional, clunky self-cast, it utilizes two separate Spellslinger setups to launch out Frostbolt, Cold Snap, and Arctic Breath- with one attack of Frenzy. When Vortex is self-cast while there are frostbolts on the screen, it will consume the Frostbolt to dump a Vortex there. Turns out, you can cover your map in vortices! There are two variations: CI and LL. Both can complete all endgame content, but the LL version has about double the damage.

TLDR:
○ Hold Vortex key, right click. Profit.

[League starter] Level 86 CI version (optional jewel cluster for more ES); 9.1k/9.8k ES and 1m shaper dps: https://pastebin.com/H0ShgGbw

○ Cluster jewel setup for CI:
•Large (8 passive, %cold damage): Deep Chill, Prismatic Heart, Disorienting Display (disorienting is massive for survivability since it will proc with your Spellslinger setups as well), and 2 jewel sockets.
•Medium (4 passive, %cold damage over time multiplier): Brush with Death, Exposure Therapy or Vile Reinvigoration, and 1 jewel socket.
•Small (3 passive, %increased ES): Energy from naught and >+8 strength per small passive (strength is QoL, so that you can drop some of the +30 strength passives on the tree).

[Min/maxed endgame] Level 87 LL version (uses 1 jewel cluster); 9.3k ES and 1.9m shaper dps: https://pastebin.com/SRx5F9kr

○ Cluster jewel setup for LL:
•Large (8 passive, %cold damage): Vengeful Commander, Prismatic Heart, Disorienting Display (disorienting is massive for survivability since it will proc with your Spellslinger setups as well), and 2 jewel sockets.
•Medium (4 passive, %non-curse aura effect): Vengeful Commander, Stalwart Commander, and 1 jewel socket.
•Small (3 passive, %increased ES): Energy from naught and >+8 strength per small passive.

Table of Contents
○ Changelog
○ Videos
○ About This Build
○ Gem links
○ Gear
○ Ascendancy, Skill Tree, and Pantheon
○ Leveling

Changelog
○ 4/5/20- Updated PoBs, now using the new jewel clusters! (thanks to Soyaro for suggesting to look into the jewels). All versions now use Rime Gaze.

○ 3/29/20- Optimized low-life version with discipline/reservation nodes. Working on CI variation, but similar change there.

○ 3/22/20- Original

Videos
3/22/20: T16 Carcass Corrupted (Rippy): https://youtu.be/Uu7dVb2-XxQ

About This Build
○ Vortex is self-cast since it is instantaneous, so it can be held down while moving around and using flame dash. When Vortex is held down while attacking with Frenzy, it will launch Frostbolts and Vortex will be cast all over the map.

○ Utilizing a Frozen Trail jewel, Frostbolt will throw out three projectiles and vortex will be cast on all of them.

○ At the same time as all of this, Cold Snap and Arctic Breath will be launched. All three DoTs will stack.

Gear and Gem links
○ Helmet [All variations]:
Spellslinger, Frost Breath, Hypothermia, and Swift Affliction. These jewels are specifically used to minimize the reservation cost of this skill, there is no changing them around unless you invest in additional reduced reservation. The damage from Arctic Breath is actually very good (around 350k - 900k/s). A +2 projectile, +2 AOE, or +2 Cold spells helmet will work all the same. They're a dime a dozen and provide a huge amount of damage. At league start, just use a rare or regular Rime.

○ Chest [All variations]:
Vortex + Efficacy + Inspiration + Elemental Focus + Swift Affliction + Controlled Destruction. This is the priority of gems, inspiration is necessary to minimize Vortex's mana cost (which is pretty hefty). You can opt to run Concentrated Effect in place of Inspiration if you have the mana/mana regen. As expected, this is the main clear spell and can deal around 550k - 950k/s. Just hold your Vortex key while you run through maps and fire off Frenzy, this will litter the ground with Vortices. Shavronne's is required for Low Life. For Chaos Inoculation, the best in slot is the highest ES chest you can get + resistances, or you can grab a Beast Fur Shawl on a mega-budget (usually like 100c for a 6L at league start), which despite the increased damage taken, gives decent ES and provides a lot of survivability through the increased energy shield recovery rate.

○ Wand [All variations]:
Storm Brand, Frost Bomb, and Orb of Storms. It is required to have them in this order, with the wand "Trigger a socketed spell when you use a skill." This is solely for the EE proc and Frost Bomb debuff. Prioritize a wand with +1 to all cold spells, as this will scale globally with all of your damage spells. Ensure it has "Trigger a socketed spell when you use a skill" or an open prefix to craft it on. % Spell damage, % cold damge, % area damage, or % cold damage over time multiplier is icing on the cake.

○ Shield [Low Life]:
Zealotry, Malevolence, and Hatred. It is critical to socket these gems in prism guardian, as it gives free BM, 25% reduced reservation cost, and +2 level to auras.

○ Shield [Chaos Inoculation]:
Frenzy, Discipline + Enlighten (level 2 minimum). If you can get yourself two socketed rings, then links can be changed to Flame Dash + Arcane Surge + Summon Flame Golem. Get the highest ES shield with the most resistances you can.

○ Rings [All variations]:
Frenzy in ring 1. Discipline in ring 2. Ring slots are not critical to the build, but you will lose 2 sockets without them. If you have two ring slots on the Chaos Inoculation version, you can have a 4L cwdt setup and utilize Wave of Conviction + Added Cold to get -25% cold resistance on bosses. For the low life version, it allows you to have Cast When Damage is Taken + Immortal Call. Additionally, it is required to get one ring with "Curse enemies with Frostbite on Hit" if you allocate Profane Bloom. You can opt out of Profane Bloom and just grab Malediction, but the feeling just isn't the same.

○ Gloves [All variations]:
Spellslinger + Cold Snap + Frostbolt + Bonechill. This is pretty much a utility setup, with the added bonus of 150-200k dps from Cold Snap. Gloves can either have "Socketed Gems Deal +30% More Damage Over Time" from Essence of Delirium or +% cold damage multiplier from a Hunter mod glove (best in slot).

○ Boots [All variations]: First 2L: Flame Dash + Arcane Surge (maximum gem level of 5). Second 2L: Cast When Damage is Taken + Immortal Call (level 1 setup). If you're Chaos Inoculation and are able to pick up two socketed rings, then you can move Flame Dash + Arcane Surge to the shield slot, then link Added Cold Damage + Wave of Conviction to apply -% cold resistance to bosses. This will also require you to socket "Conqueror's Efficiency" in one jewel socket on the tree.

○ Amulet [All variations]:

Prioritize flat ES, % increased ES, and both strength and dexterity. If you're looking for the most damage and an empty wallet, you can opt for +1 to cold gems, +1 to int gems, or +% cold damage over time multiplier. Anoint "Tranquility" if you've got the cash, but "Breath of Rime", "Sanctity", or "Flash Freeze" are good alternatives.

○ Belt [All variations]:

There is no competing with Bated Breath. The cost is 1 alch, and it gives a ton of ES and survivability with 50% increased ES recharge rate.

Ascendancy, Skill Tree, and Pantheon
○ Vile Bastion → Void Beacon → Frigid Wake → Profane Bloom (if you have a Frostbite Curse on Hit ring) or Forbidden Power (if you do not)

○ Level 86 [CI + no jewel cluster]: http://poeurl.com/cPRy

○ Level 86 [CI + jewel cluster]: http://poeurl.com/cPRx

○ Level 87 [Min/maxed Low Life]: http://poeurl.com/cPRz

○ Major Pantheon: Soul of Lunaris

○ Minor Pantheon: Soul of Gruthkul

Leveling
○ TBD

Last edited by Clydehart on Apr 6, 2020, 12:09:12 AM
Last bumped on Apr 5, 2020, 12:47:51 PM
Reserved
Reserved
Reserved
Reserved
HI,I have been play this build ,and i like it ,ty
I have a question here , why do you link cold snap with Efficacy not Hypothermia?

"
lengzhou112 wrote:
HI,I have been play this build ,and i like it ,ty
I have a question here , why do you link cold snap with Efficacy not Hypothermia?

Glad you like the build! The helmet is a shaper helmet, with the affix "Socketed Gems are Supported By Level 16-20 Hypothermia." This allows you to utilize Efficacy. If you don't have a helmet with this mod, it's definitely better to use hypothermia than efficacy for the benefit of Bonechill!
I'm excited to see there are some others experimenting with Spellslinger+Cold, Good Work! I actually attempted a low-life crit cold build first. I didn't have the attack/cast speed to really push the damage. I wanted to hear your thoughts on two things I'm struggling with.

- How has your survivability been in red tier maps? I'm at 7K ES, but I do not have the Sorrow of the Divine. I've really struggled and I feel like a stiff breeze will take me down.

- I noticed that in your Low Life version, you only run Malevolence on Blood Magic. That means you have ~50% of your HP available for another aura. Why do you only have that one on blood magic?
"
Dekunuts wrote:
I'm excited to see there are some others experimenting with Spellslinger+Cold, Good Work! I actually attempted a low-life crit cold build first. I didn't have the attack/cast speed to really push the damage. I wanted to hear your thoughts on two things I'm struggling with.

- How has your survivability been in red tier maps? I'm at 7K ES, but I do not have the Sorrow of the Divine. I've really struggled and I feel like a stiff breeze will take me down.

- I noticed that in your Low Life version, you only run Malevolence on Blood Magic. That means you have ~50% of your HP available for another aura. Why do you only have that one on blood magic?

Blood magic gives you a high multiplier 100%+ until like lvl 18-19 so you can't even use malevolence with it until then as it will reserve over 100% of your life.
"
"
Dekunuts wrote:

Blood magic gives you a high multiplier 100%+ until like lvl 18-19 so you can't even use malevolence with it until then as it will reserve over 100% of your life.

As Hydras said, BM has a ridiculously high multiplier- so only one aura.

In terms of survivability- it's been okay, but I still struggle with T16s and Delirium (mostly because of on-death effects. I'm like a bug attracted to a bright light when it comes to on-death mechanics...). I recently tuned the build a little, to allow for the use of discipline- which has now put the CI variation up to about 8.8k ES and low life to 7.8k ES. The single, most powerful item to boost survivability is a watcher's eye with % faster start of ES regen while using discipline (brings the regen timer from 1.5s to 1s). In specific to your build (looks like you have a trickster variant), you'll need to heavily invest in hybrid gear or bump up your evasion much more to make the perfect form worth it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info