[3.16] Coldslinger | Vortex | Creeping Frost | League Start | SSF | CI/LL

This build focuses on Cold DoT (damage over time), where it uses the combination of two cold DoT spells for the main damage: Vortex and Creeping Frost. However, instead of the traditional self-cast, it utilizes two separate Spellslinger setups to launch out Frostbolt and Creeping Frost. When Vortex is self-cast while there are frostbolts on the screen, it will consume the Frostbolt to dump a Vortex there. Turns out, you can cover your map in about 3-4 attacks. There are two variations: CI and LL. Both can complete all endgame content, but there are varying levels of investment required.

TLDR:
○ Put Vortex on LMB. Attack on RMB. Attack. Profit.
○ Will be starting this. Tune in to see me die more than Ziz https://www.twitch.tv/mattycakes00

POBs for 3.16:

*NOTE 1: The level 24 gem for Vortex/Creeping Frost in POB is equivalent to the new gem at level 20, and level 25 is equivalent to level 21.*

*NOTE 2: You can again use a Thread of Hope (large) in the far left Templar jewel to pick up Glancing Blows and/or Divine Shield (if your Armour is greater than your ES, this node is MASSIVE for sustainability).

*NOTE 3: You can either start with the life starter or CI starter tree. The life starter tree will be much easier to progress through acts, but you will need to respec later on. The CI starter tree will be a bit more difficult to progress through acts, but there will be no later cost to respec. Overall, I would recommend following the life starter as it will feel much better.

○ League Starter CI Occultist, Level 90: https://pastebin.com/4awfzCkx
~700k spds on 5L, 800k sdps on 6L
~6.6K ES
~700 ES regen, ~1.1k ES leech, ~2.4k recharge + Wicked Ward
~2.4k armour
~22% block, 6% spell block

○ Tanky, Higher Investment CI Occultist, Level 90: https://pastebin.com/KHA5Cms0
~700k dps on 6L
~6.5k ES
~170 ES regen, ~1.1k ES leech, 3.2k recharge + Wicked Ward, Divine Shield (3% of physical damage prevented from hits recently regenerated as ES), and 2% armour recovered as ES
~12.6k armour
~Glancing Blows, 64% Block, 66% Spell Block

○ Damage LL Occultist, Level 98: ~3m shaper dps: https://pastebin.com/qt1S0J4R

○ Tanky LL Occultist, Level 97 (damn near immortal): ~2.3m shaper dps: https://pastebin.com/era1ndGW

Table of Contents
○ About This Build
○ Changelog
○ Videos
○ Leveling/League Start
○ CI Starter (post #2)
○ LL (post #2)
○ FAQ (post #3)

About This Build:
○ Vortex cast speed is instantaneous, so it can be held down while moving, attacking, and using movement skills without feeling clunky. Because of this, Vortex is not linked with Spellslinger. Instead, it is put on LMB to constantly cast while moving, but it's also a good idea to put it on a hotkey for when you want to be stationary.

○ When Vortex is held down while attacking, it will launch Frostbolts and Creeping Frost because of the link to Spellslinger. Vortex has a direct interaction with Frostbolts and will cast on up to 5 Frostbolts at once. A Frozen Trail jewel is utilized to send out a total of 3 Frostbolts for the Vortex to cast.

○ This guide is designed to be a progression, but you can skip to whichever variation you have currency for. In terms of progression: CI league starter -> LL.

Changelog
○ 7/22/21- Pretty major overhaul from 3.15 nerfs. Too much to list.
○ 4/17/21- Added a leveling progression tree
○ 4/4/21- No major changes for 3.14.
○ 4/11/21 Updated Flow of Guide and added FAQ section.
○ 4/10/21 Updated PoBs in anticipation of 3.14 (unless there are some major tree differences, it's unlikely to change). Specced out of Elemental Equilibrium since it does not mesh well with most peoples' playstyle.
○ 1/20/21 Optimized trees up to level 100.
○ 1/12/21- Updating for 3.13
○ 10/25/20- No major update with new 3.12 gear/gems. No noteworthy alternate quality gems except maybe Divergent Determination + Grace. Everything is up to date.
○ 9/22/20- Updated LL build
○ 9/20/20- Modified leveling progression based on feedback received.
○ 9/17/20- Updated POB for league start. Other POBs will be updated once league launches/POB is updated for the nerfed Spellslinger.
○ 7/7/20- Added experimental POBs that use WoC for -25% cold resistance.
○ 7/1/20- Further optimized the min/maxed endgame build. Now utilizes both Enfeeble and Temporal Chains, with Malediction being picked up instead of Vile Bastion.
○ 7/1/20- Added a "Mega budget" version to CI PoB.
○ 6/22/20- Wintertide is awful for this build. Do not use it.
○ 6/19/20- Updated league starter for 3.11. Will need to playtest Wintertide to see if it's worth it.
○ 4/16/20- Looks like GGG is keeping their "fix" (nerf) to the Cold Snap + Spellslinger interaction in patch 3.10.1d hush-hush. This is a buff.
○ 4/9/20- Added Deathless Shaper Video
○ 4/5/20- Updated PoBs, now using the new jewel clusters! (thanks to Soyaro for suggesting to look into the jewels). All versions now use Rime Gaze.
○ 3/29/20- Optimized low-life version with discipline/reservation nodes. Working on CI variation, but similar change there.
○ 3/22/20- Original

Videos
○ (OLD) 1/13/21- [3.13] CI Moderate budget Setup (6L): https://youtu.be/d2oz2ydQe9M
○ (OLD) 1/13/21- [3.13] CI Extreme Budget Setup (5L): https://youtu.be/sbGzM9qXVAQ
○ (OLD) 4/9/20- [3.10] Deathless Shaper: https://youtu.be/g1QEZPi7kYs

League Start
○ Prioritize links on items. Use a 4L over 3L, even if it is white. After that, prioritize flat life/flat ES for any gear you find. Craft on resistances or needed stats at your crafting bench.

○ Use any wands with high % spell damage, % cold damage, or % cold damage over time multiplier. Added flat damage is useless for this build.

○ ES items scale incredibly disproportionately through the acts, so you won't find any decent ES gear until maps. DO NOT SPEC INTO CHAOS INOCULATION UNTIL YOU HAVE AT LEAST 4K ES.

○ For league start, you have two options. You can start off with a life starter tree to make things smoother... or if you're a cheap-ass, masochist you can start off with the CI tree.

○ Act 1:

Active Links:
Freezing Pulse + Added Lightning Damage + Added Cold Damage

Frost Bomb + Arcane Surge + Added Lightning Damage

Vitality

Flame Dash + Arcane Surge (level 4)

Creeping Frost + Arcane Surge + Efficacy

Leveling sockets:
Power Siphon + Lesser Multiple Projectiles

-Grab Freezing Pulse and link it with + Added Lightning Damage + Added Cold Damage. You can opt for Creeping Frost later.

-Grab Frost Bomb. Link it with Arcane Surge + Added Lightning Damage.

-Buy Power Siphon to be used later on with the Spellslinger setup (until you get Frenzy).

-Buy Lesser Multiple Projectiles to be used in the Frostbolt setup later on. Don't use it now (put it in alternate weapons or open gem slots to level as you progress).

-Buy Vitality and use it as soon as possible. Buy a white/blue Amber Amulet if you need more Str. The amount of regen this provides early on is amazing.

-Grab Flame dash and buy another Arcane Surge. Link these two together, keep this Arcane Surge at level 4 or lower.

-Grab Creeping Frost and begin using it with Arcane Surge + Efficacy (buy them if you need to). You will use this skill until you get the Spellslinger setups going in A3.

○ Act 2:

Active Links:
Creeping Frost + Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus + Efficacy

Vitality + Clarity

Leveling sockets:
Power Siphon + Lesser Multiple Projectiles + Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus

-Continue using Creeping Frost.

-Grab 2x Controlled Destruction + 2x Elemental Focus. Link them as necessary with Creeping Frost or just level them.

-Kill all bandits.

○ Act 3:

Active Links:
Spellslinger + Creeping Frost + Elemental Focus + Controlled Destruction

Spellslinger + Frost Bolt + Lesser Multiple Projectiles

Vortex + Efficacy + Elemental Focus + Controlled Destruction

Power Siphon

Leveling sockets:
Vitality + Clarity + Frostbite + Discipline

-Grab TWO Spellslingers as soon as you can. You won't have Vortex yet, so just level these.

-After you complete "Sever the Right Hand", you'll have the option to grab a Vortex, grab it. Now the magic begins.

-Link Vortex + Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus + Efficacy. DO NOT link Vortex with Spellslinger. Put Vortex on your left mouse button, so that it triggers automatically when you move. You can also put it on another button to manually trigger it.

-Use the Power Siphon or Frenzy (if you've bought it already) you got earlier to trigger your Spellslingers (this does not need to be linked to anything).

-Drop Vitality and/or Clarity if you cannot afford the mana cost.

-Once you get Vortex, it's time to link the Spellslinger setups. For the first setup, link: Spellslinger + Frostbolt + Lesser Multiple Projectiles. For the second setup, link: Spellslinger + Creeping Frost + Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus. These will later get swapped out for Bonechill + Inspiration once you get them.

-Buy Frostbite, but don't use it (put it in alternate weapons or open gem slots to level as you progress).

-Buy Discipline, but don't use it since you probably don't have the mana (put it in alternate weapons or open gem slots to level as you progress).

○ Act 4:

Active Links:
Spellslinger + Creeping Frost + Bonechill + Controlled Destruction

Spellslinger + Frost Bolt + Lesser Multiple Projectiles

Power Siphon + Hextouch + Frostbite

Leveling sockets:
Vitality + Clarity + Discipline

-Grab a Hextouch support and link Power Siphon or Frenzy + Hextouch Support + Frostbite.

-Buy Bonechill Support when possible in the Creeping Frost, swap out the Elemental Focus in Creeping Frost.

○ Act 5:

Active Links:
Spellslinger + Creeping Frost + Bonechill + Controlled Destruction

Spellslinger + Frost Bolt

Leveling sockets (reserve these when you have the mana):

-MAKE SURE YOU GRAB FROZEN TRAIL. THIS IS MANDATORY. Put your Frozen trail gem in the jewel socket by Glancing Blows. One you have this jewel, remove the Lesser Multiple Projectiles from the Frostbolt setup.

○ Act 6:

Active Links:
Spellslinger + Creeping Frost + Bonechill + Inspiration

Vortex + Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus + Inspiration + Swift Affliction + Hypothermia

-Complete Lily's quest so you can buy any skill gem you want.

-Buy Inspiration, Swift Affliction, and Hypothermia. Add in Inspiration, Swift Affliction if you have a Tabula (doubtful you'll be able to afford the mana cost though). Swap out Efficacy for Hypothermia (prioritizing it last, as it has the lowest damage). Inspiration is to reduce the mana cost.

-Buy Inspiration from Lily and swap out Controlled Destruction with Inspiration in the Creeping Frost. This is to reduce the mana reservation cost and overall cost.

○ Act 7:

Active Links:

Vortex + Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus + Inspiration + Swift Affliction + Hypothermia

Vitality + Clarity

Discipline

-Around this time, you should have enough mana to reserve Vitality or Clarity again. Prioritize whichever you need first- mana if you're feeling like you can't sustain the Spellslinger cost or Vitality if you feel like you're dying too quickly. Who knows, maybe it'll be both.

○ Act 8:

Active Links:

Vitality + Clarity

Discipline

-The chaos degen in Doedre's Sewers is abysmal. If you haven't by now, put in Vitality. I'm serious... make sure you do, or you'll have a bad time. Use a mana flask if you have to drop Clarity for this.

-MAKE SURE YOU GRAB CONQUEROR'S EFFICIENCY. No idea what stats this thing will have in 3.16, but it should help with mana reservation if you need it.

-Add in Discipline when possible- swap out Vitality if you need to (but only after you pass Doedre's Sewers).

○ Act 9:

Active Links:

-Nothing of note here. Continue.

○ Act 10:

Active Links:

-Smack Kitava in the face with your balls.

○ Maps (THESE NEED TO BE SET UP BEFORE YOU ENTER MAPS OR YOU WILL NOT HAVE A GOOD TIME):

Active Links:

Frenzy + Hextouch + Frostbite + Elemental Weakness

Frost Bomb + Summon Stone Golem + Steelskin

Flame Dash + Arcane Surge (level 6)

Coldslinger: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2797749
Last edited by Clydehart on Nov 9, 2021, 8:51:55 AM
Last bumped on Aug 20, 2022, 11:05:20 AM
reserved
Last edited by Clydehart on Oct 20, 2021, 10:47:08 PM
Frequently Asked Questions:

○ Is this a good league starter?
-Yes. The league starter version is meant to be a great mapper and can do T16 maps with junk from the ground but is not the best bosser.

○ Is there a life POB for leveling?
-Just grab 5-10 life nodes on the tree as you're progressing through the acts. Respec them once you have enough ES to swap to CI (> 3-4K). Even in SSF, you should be able to get about 4-5k ES pretty comfortably by the time you hit yellow maps.

○ How is leveling with the build?
-Up to level 28, leveling sucks. After you get the Spellslinger setups going, it's the smoothest experience you'll ever have. Just pick up any decent % ES, life, and resistance items you can find while progressing. Reference the League Start/Leveling section for specifics.

○ Is there a life-based Occultist version?
-You can certainly build it with life instead of ES, but I wouldn't recommend it. ES has a larger EHP and Occultist synergizes extremely well with ES. If you're dead set on life, I'd recommend going with Trickster and hybrid.

○ How does this compare to self-cast?
-On average, the damage is the same with an equivalent amount of investment, but self-cast has a higher ceiling (just by nature of not having to reserve mana for the Spellslinger setups). You can always use this version as a league starter and swap to self-cast once you have better gear going- the swap is extremely painless (the trees are very similar). Be warned though, numbers won't take into account the playstyle, which is by far the most important thing of a build.

○ Which version should I play?
-The guide is meant to be a progression from a fresh league start -> LL. With the damage nerfs, it will be very difficult to bring CI to endgame bossing, but T16 maps will be just fine (bosses will take a bit still).

-The LL version has a ton of damage at the cost of sustainability (it has to use Wicked Ward and it doesn't have % ES on block).

○ Is the guide min-maxed?
-The guide is min-maxed for the average player and will allow you to jump into T16 maps with the League Start version and up to 100% delirious maps with the LL. It has a really good balance between offensive and defensive, but you can always lean towards your preference.

○ Are there any alternate quality gems worth using?
-There are no build defining alternate quality gems and a level 21 Vortex and Creeping Frost is significantly better than a level 20 alternate quality gem. Phantasmal Frostbolt is pretty interesting but entirely unnecessary.

○ Can we use 2 Frozen Trail Jewels?
-Yes. The increased projectile speed is very nice for clearing, but not necessary.

○ Should I use Frenzy or Power Siphon?
-This is an entirely personal preference. Frenzy will feel a lot smoother, but Power Siphon will technically be stronger on bosses due to culling strike.

○ What will you be playing on league start?
-I'm always baited by the new skills and interactions... so I will do something funky.
Last edited by Clydehart on Oct 20, 2021, 9:26:45 PM
Reserved
Reserved
HI,I have been play this build ,and i like it ,ty
I have a question here , why do you link cold snap with Efficacy not Hypothermia?

"
lengzhou112 wrote:
HI,I have been play this build ,and i like it ,ty
I have a question here , why do you link cold snap with Efficacy not Hypothermia?

Glad you like the build! The helmet is a shaper helmet, with the affix "Socketed Gems are Supported By Level 16-20 Hypothermia." This allows you to utilize Efficacy. If you don't have a helmet with this mod, it's definitely better to use hypothermia than efficacy for the benefit of Bonechill!
I'm excited to see there are some others experimenting with Spellslinger+Cold, Good Work! I actually attempted a low-life crit cold build first. I didn't have the attack/cast speed to really push the damage. I wanted to hear your thoughts on two things I'm struggling with.

- How has your survivability been in red tier maps? I'm at 7K ES, but I do not have the Sorrow of the Divine. I've really struggled and I feel like a stiff breeze will take me down.

- I noticed that in your Low Life version, you only run Malevolence on Blood Magic. That means you have ~50% of your HP available for another aura. Why do you only have that one on blood magic?
"
Dekunuts wrote:
I'm excited to see there are some others experimenting with Spellslinger+Cold, Good Work! I actually attempted a low-life crit cold build first. I didn't have the attack/cast speed to really push the damage. I wanted to hear your thoughts on two things I'm struggling with.

- How has your survivability been in red tier maps? I'm at 7K ES, but I do not have the Sorrow of the Divine. I've really struggled and I feel like a stiff breeze will take me down.

- I noticed that in your Low Life version, you only run Malevolence on Blood Magic. That means you have ~50% of your HP available for another aura. Why do you only have that one on blood magic?

Blood magic gives you a high multiplier 100%+ until like lvl 18-19 so you can't even use malevolence with it until then as it will reserve over 100% of your life.
"
"
Dekunuts wrote:

Blood magic gives you a high multiplier 100%+ until like lvl 18-19 so you can't even use malevolence with it until then as it will reserve over 100% of your life.

As Hydras said, BM has a ridiculously high multiplier- so only one aura.

In terms of survivability- it's been okay, but I still struggle with T16s and Delirium (mostly because of on-death effects. I'm like a bug attracted to a bright light when it comes to on-death mechanics...). I recently tuned the build a little, to allow for the use of discipline- which has now put the CI variation up to about 8.8k ES and low life to 7.8k ES. The single, most powerful item to boost survivability is a watcher's eye with % faster start of ES regen while using discipline (brings the regen timer from 1.5s to 1s). In specific to your build (looks like you have a trickster variant), you'll need to heavily invest in hybrid gear or bump up your evasion much more to make the perfect form worth it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info