I do not want to play tank.

I play my own builds and they have a good balance between damage and defense. Is the best part of this game. Now, you have to look for chaos resistance and IS FINE.
"
Sorry OP, but you're wrong.

Unbelievably skilled players regularly beat insane optional content on glass cannons in this game; there was a video about a year ago where some guy beat Uber Elder with a 1 hp/zero shield build.

So your Dark Souls analogy is perfectly accurate; the part you're missing is that your personal skill level isn't there yet.

Good build guides emphasize defense because the people following guides are usually less skilled than the people making their own builds. Making a guide that's approachable to newer and more casual players is a no-brainer decision; I've got a good friend who has a casual-at-best relationship with Path of Exile and before I even start writing a build guide I have him play the build for a few maps just to see if I should even bother.

All of that being said: POE is an action-RPG, not an MMO. Generally speaking, to be successful your build has to be able to do everything. A zero-damage build does not work most of the time, and neither does a zero-defense. This isn't unique to POE; this goes all the way back to Diablo 1, probably even earlier. And if you can't get your head around the concept that your DPS is zero when you're dead, action RPGs might not be for you.

No, sorry. Proof by counterexample does not work in this situation. The guy in the video probably leveled as a tank and then respected for the video. And I'm sure to get the footage for that video he had to make a hundred attempts, not to mention all the one-shots that he had to endure just walking to the boss.

Try to level to 100 with a super squishy build and then tell me it's just my skill.
you can do lvl 100 reliably doing hundreds simple layout maps continuously without facing any challenge as the 100 HC racers usually do, does not require you being tank, it only requires you being fast.

sure, you won't be bossing, you won't be deep delving, you won't be doing any challenging content and you will get to 100 eventually.

Want to do hard content? Get good or play tank.
OP probably can't get good.
I represent only myself, my own thought and believes. I am individual, not a representative of the community.
I am not speaking on behalf of someone else and I don't get offended by things that have nothing to do with me.

3.13 was the golden age.
"
Showdang2 wrote:
"
Sorry OP, but you're wrong.

Unbelievably skilled players regularly beat insane optional content on glass cannons in this game; there was a video about a year ago where some guy beat Uber Elder with a 1 hp/zero shield build.

So your Dark Souls analogy is perfectly accurate; the part you're missing is that your personal skill level isn't there yet.

Good build guides emphasize defense because the people following guides are usually less skilled than the people making their own builds. Making a guide that's approachable to newer and more casual players is a no-brainer decision; I've got a good friend who has a casual-at-best relationship with Path of Exile and before I even start writing a build guide I have him play the build for a few maps just to see if I should even bother.

All of that being said: POE is an action-RPG, not an MMO. Generally speaking, to be successful your build has to be able to do everything. A zero-damage build does not work most of the time, and neither does a zero-defense. This isn't unique to POE; this goes all the way back to Diablo 1, probably even earlier. And if you can't get your head around the concept that your DPS is zero when you're dead, action RPGs might not be for you.

No, sorry. Proof by counterexample does not work in this situation. The guy in the video probably leveled as a tank and then respected for the video. And I'm sure to get the footage for that video he had to make a hundred attempts, not to mention all the one-shots that he had to endure just walking to the boss.

Try to level to 100 with a super squishy build and then tell me it's just my skill.

He definetely leveled with a different build but that's not the point. You said it's impossible to beat POE bosses as a glass cannon and that's just plain wrong. Every single boss mechanic in the entire game can be avoided if you know how. Besides the Video mentioned there are also several vids of People beating UE with level 30 chars. Mapping and leveling are a different matter but if you die to bosses it's your fault, not your builds and certainly not the games.
All Life values should be multiplied by 5 with the current damage
Need more brains, exile?
Path Of Exile Review | Sponsored by Tibet™
this video sums it up perfectly and it only gotten worse since then
you must have tens of thousands of hp or get one shot by random trash offscreen
"
Showdang2 wrote:
I do not want to play tank.

I know, you want the game to be “challenging” right. Well, it is not. It is just stupid. If you want to see a challenging game, go play Dark Souls 3. I play a squishy high damage sorcerer in that game, and I can beat every boss. I died millions of times learning the fights, and the fights are all challenging, but they are also all doable. Speaking of DS3, that game allows you to fight your way back and reclaim your souls (experience). PoE likes to waste people’s time by making them constantly lose experience with no way to reclaim it. This punishes squishies doubly by making sure they can never go up any levels. I DO NOT WANT TO PLAY TANK.

To me, Dark Soul punishment is way more painful than PoE unless you play PoE in hardcore.

I play in HC and I only get more life/defense nodes when I have damage or when my build getting closer to what I want to be. my character's life usually end up 3k to 4k when I finished the whole Acts
In love Hardcore solo self-found mode
Last edited by dohh2008 on Feb 24, 2020, 1:38:16 AM
If the game is not challenging, why are you using T1 life on your gear? Clearly, you could play without it if it's so easy for you. I don't see the problem here.

Tip: if you want a challenge, take the nodes Chaos Inoculation and Eldritch Battery in the tree. Challenge guaranteed and absolutely no life on gear required either!
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
PoE is inspired by Diablo 1 & 2, where when you died you lost all your gear if you did not recover your body.

So by this standard PoE is already ridiculously easy.

Telling others to play different game if they want difficulty, maybe it is your problem to pick up PoE when you don't want a difficulty.

ARPG market is currently quite wide. Maybe it is time to look up another title. Or get 100 in standard and play 1 char forever.
I represent only myself, my own thought and believes. I am individual, not a representative of the community.
I am not speaking on behalf of someone else and I don't get offended by things that have nothing to do with me.

3.13 was the golden age.
I understand what you mean but it may be required I have some sort of mechanics that can work set of taking to the tank think about it as possible balance depending on the kind of system using and things you want to achieve

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info