Wolcen Hype Release!

"
awesome999 wrote:
"
So far I'm quite impressed how well they've integrated the Chronicle feature into the main story, which has to be replayed with a new Bloodtrail character. Lots of dialogue and a reasonable, logical reason for the Chronicle's npc to be present.

Also, ALL of the numbers have been dramatically lowered. This seems to me a deliberate attempt at resisting power creep. Early days yet but we'll see how it goes.

Sweeping nerf aren't fun and I having bad vibes. My offline characters skills are reset, the town building reset and some armour skins are missing. Should I trust my gut feel?

Yep. If you didn't enjoy it before, you won't enjoy it now. I'm not here to convince you either way. Merely reporting my experiences as an experienced Wolcel.

The reset has been a bit sloppy, which I expected. Legacy characters rarely survive significant updates.

Sweeping nerfs, as you put it, can be perfectly fine if they improve the feeling of the game, which in this case I think they did. Especially the ailment changes. If you disagree, well, there's always Path of Exile. It's the epitome of out-of-control creep.
Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Diablo IV s4, Predecessor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Stellaris (finally);
Tablet - - Buriedbornes 2, Dawncaster Deckbuilder, Loop Hero, Fate GO;
and,
PC - - Word (book 2 final draft is *really* close to done)
Hahaha, one of the new incidental taunts from enemies gave me a chuckle.

The kennel master says, '*I* let the dogs out!'

Teehee.
Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Diablo IV s4, Predecessor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Stellaris (finally);
and,
"

Sweeping nerfs, as you put it, can be perfectly fine if they improve the feeling of the game, which in this case I think they did. Especially the ailment changes. If you disagree, well, there's always Path of Exile. It's the epitome of out-of-control creep.

Because reverse power creep is not a thing. Continously nerfing everything will just make the game difficult if not punishing to play which would be considered much worse than power creep, at least to your average gamer.

The most difficult thing to do is to maintain the same power level while introducing new content and mechanics which would be incredibly difficult to do without abundant of innovation and creativity which most people would be lacking.
So far, the new Blood trail run has been fun.
Will spend MUCH more time on it once I get my loot box in Mayhem ;)
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
The sound cutting out bug is a bit annoying, but that aside, it's feeling a lot more...confident in its balancing. I think my extensive post-story game experience has left me surprisingly good at the game itself though -- that or they really nerfed everything in act 1, which I somehow doubt.

Currently playing on:
and,
"
Hahaha, one of the new incidental taunts from enemies gave me a chuckle.

The kennel master says, '*I* let the dogs out!'

Teehee.

This doubly entertains me both for the pop culture reference and because the phrase originally was not about the canine 'dog' lol.
"
The sound cutting out bug is a bit annoying, but that aside, it's feeling a lot more...confident in its balancing. I think my extensive post-story game experience has left me surprisingly good at the game itself though -- that or they really nerfed everything in act 1, which I somehow doubt.

So Wolcen wins now ?
If by "winning" u mean there isn't a nerdSlayer Video for Wolcen yet, then yeah... Wolcen won!
"
Chavolatra wrote:
"

So Wolcen wins now ?

Fuck no. I spent most of the weekend playtesting Last Epoch. It's better than Wolcen in most of the important areas as regards a good ARPG.

But I *enjoy* Wolcen more, and felt good going back to it after levelling a character to mid 30s on Last Epoch. Wolcen has a cinematic bombast to it that just makes me feel like I'm having a blast. It's easier on the eyes and ears, and for someone who has played every ARPG ever, that sort of aesthetic flashiness means a lot. This is a very personal stance. Wolcen is younger, hotter, dumber. Last Epoch is a much better long-term 'second wife' for ARPG commitment after one has finally decided that Path of Exile simply won't ever evolve beyond her sophomoric peak.
Currently playing on:
and,
"

Fuck no. I spent most of the weekend playtesting Last Epoch. It's better than Wolcen in most of the important areas as regards a good ARPG.

I was wondering why these games are even called ARPG in the first place when they shouldn't. They should be more accurately called Diablo-like. Diablo is often called roguelike but should be more accurately called roguelite. Diablo-like games that people don't like are called Diablo-clones. When people say ARPG, I recall Zelda. That label was prominent for such game during the console era before PC was prominent. Diablo doesn't exist then.

I suppose people and companies want to name genre in a certain way because name matter as brand name do. Certain words are neurologically processed in a different way. In that sense, people opinion of the game is more likely to be more favourable as the Brand name "ARPG" as oppose to "Diablo-like".
Last edited by awesome999 on Dec 6, 2020, 9:28:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info