Unexpected disconnection (with months of trying to fix it)

I dont know but I had some connection problem when I try play in other place. No ping result to almost all gates. On the beginning I was connected after few minutes disconnection and not possible to connect.
🌞 Designer of SimpleFilter see My Item Filters 🌞
"
koszmarnica wrote:
I dont know but I had some connection problem when I try play in other place. No ping result to almost all gates. On the beginning I was connected after few minutes disconnection and not possible to connect.

That's not really related to my issue though. Sounds like there might be something like an antivirus or firewall deciding to block communication with POE. You can read more about that in the pinned topics.
I think I figured out what is going on - somewhat.
This seems to be some sort of issue between the nVidia driver and POE after 3.9
I don't know if which one of the two introduced this, but that's when it started.

What I figured out:
My disconnections reduce to a MUCH lower number if I reduce my desktop resolution down to match the game's resolution. Reducing just the game's resolution didn't make any difference, but when I reduce both and match them it helps A LOT.

I would think it has to be some sort of issue between the driver and the game if this clears up the issue.
I was able to play POE at a higher resolution (matching my then equally higher desktop resolution) without issues before 3.9
It could have been introduced in a driver update or it's some obscure issue with this league's coding combined with the driver. I don't know what's going on more specifically than that and now that it works I'm not touching my settings.
That wasn't it either, just coincidentally not getting the disconnections for a little while. So... I spent some more weeks trying to locate the issue, and I'm pretty sure I fixed it a few nights ago as I havn't been disconnected since then.

It's Asus. More specifically the Asus ROG Pugio mouse and the software it bloated my computer with. I downloaded some software that could let me uninstall all the (about 10) various drivers, functions and programs it had installed without telling me. There was everything from an RGB controller for Corsair to other mice drivers and other things that really had nothing to do with the Asus ROG Pugio specifically. Once I installed it all and used a different mouse all my issues with POE seems to have cleared up.

I would advice asking anyone with "connection issues" if they have a mouse or keyboard from Asus as it's the common software used to control those that bloats your machine.

So now I've ordered some Razer gear and will be playing on a somewhat-functional Steelseries mouse (the one I replaced with the Pugio) till it all arrives.

I hope this can be helpful for others.

Addendum: Most of these little bits of software don't show up in the regular Windows app manager, so uninstalling them manually is the best way to go.
I found this little app to be the best for the job:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed
Last edited by LarsWS on Mar 6, 2020, 7:59:30 AM
That wasn't it either so I've since been monitoring things like CPU/GPU temperatures and usage via the Afterburner overlay software.

Like I noted way back in my original post, the CPU usage seems to skyrocket to 98-100% when POE is open, which got me back to theorising about this as the possible problem. It's not supposed to be remotely that much.

So I got the Afterburner overlay set up, closed down everything and opened up POE again. I'm now at about 50% CPU usage. As soon as anything other than POE is open, it spikes up to 98-100%.

Only POE running: 50% CPU usage
Only Path of Building: 3-7% CPU usage
Both at the same time: 98-100%

Doesn't matter if it's Path of Building, my email client, a browser window or anything else I've tried. If it's running in the background while POE is running then my CPU load goes to maximum.
This makes me think that G-sync and V-sync is making everything in the background of POE run at full speed rather than putting all those processes and services deprioritized.
So I've now turned off both G-sync, switched my desktop to 30hz and forced POE down to 30hz & 30 FPS.

POE login screen with things running in the background:
17-19% CPU load instead of 98-100%

POE in my hideout with loads of pets and effects:
24-30% CPU load instead of 98-100%

Now POE running with V-sync turned on again in my HO:
14-21% CPU load and my fans have almost turned off instead of full blast

Now POE running with V-sync and my desktop back to 60hz in my HO:
About 70% CPU load and all the fans go crazy again

My takeaway from this has been:

60hz desktop + G-sync with POE is insanely bad
60hz desktop no sync with POE is really bad.
60hz desktop with V-sync is bad but actually a little better than without
30hz desktop and G-sync is also a bad idea
30hz desktop with no sync fixes the explosive CPU-usage but then there's tearing
30hz desktop with V-sync removes tearing and actually lowers CPU-usage a bit more still.

I'll play some more like this and see if the disconnects have anything to do with the harsh CPU-loads from the previous settings. I've noticed that the game still has some really steep CPU-usage spikes when changing zones.
I've ordered a liquid NZXT Kraken AIO 360 cooler for my CPU which should resolve any temp-spikes a lot better along with a big case and 10 new case fans as well as a huge heatsink for the GPU and the various accessories. That'll be my next step towards getting POE to stop booting me.

Goddamn. I'm spending as much time trying to fix this as I am playing the game. ;)
Last edited by LarsWS on Mar 18, 2020, 12:33:17 PM
I am having the same issues as you, except that I am using an old Dell XPS studio i7 and ATI/AMD radeon 4800 on Win7 64 home with an old Dell USB mouse and keyboard. No other online games are affected by this, that require same or even more resources (including Diablo 3). I have also tried numerous settings and network tweaks, still happens a lot. Longest I was able to play was an hour (brand new char, brand new to PoE).

You have no idea how much I appreciate your troubleshooting / cyber-forensic-detective work that you are sharing here with us.

Playing through Steam was impossible, installed native client have got me playing some of the time...

I often crash right after logging in, clicking on play - results in high CPU + fan, screen frozen, then back to login after a 1-4 minutes.

"
I've noticed that the game still has some really steep CPU-usage spikes when changing zones.

I have noticed the same thing and last crash occurred when taking way-point back to town.

Hopefully we all get through Covid-19 and enjoy our time through PoE, etc.

Cheers!
Seems like the brand new GeForce drivers have now fixed it for me.
Months on and I kinda lost interest in Delirium and this league I haven't really bothered with endgame content.

But... today I switched ISP and I'm giving their router a go (third router tested during all this) so here's to hoping it was an issue on my end.
"
LarsWS wrote:
"
Aragorn14 wrote:
From your last trace. Packet loss starts at your router/modem. Power cycle them both. Turn them off and unplug em for at least a minute. Rerun the MTR.

If power cycling doesn't help and you are still getting PL, then really the only way to get rid of it is by going wired.

That 36 you saw at network layer means nothing. That's that node dropping the ping requests for more important data. It isn't true packet loss. PL will start at a node and carry all the way through.

(That last WinMTR was while using a VPN that tanked my connection.)

So I spent a few more days testing out WIFI/wired connections on additional routers. All reset and set up from scratch.
Even wired I'm getting some horrid latency spikes every now and then. Everything stops, then I either get kicked from the game or everything speeds up really fast to catch up. It's about 50/50.
It makes no difference between what router I'm using or if I use WIFI or cabled connection.

https://pastebin.com/Pa5q2xLk:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| RT-AC68U-8CA8 - 0 | 557 | 557 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| 81.161.154.33 - 1 | 554 | 553 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 |
| ve4031.hor2-cr6.ip.cxnet.dk - 1 | 554 | 553 | 0 | 1 | 2 | 1 |
|62.61.140.118.generic-hostname.danskkabeltv.dk - 1 | 554 | 553 | 0 | 1 | 3 | 1 |
| softlayer.equinix-am1.nl-ix.net - 1 | 550 | 548 | 14 | 14 | 41 | 14 |
| ae6.cbs02.eq01.ams02.networklayer.com - 1 | 550 | 548 | 15 | 15 | 20 | 15 |
| ae6.dar01.ams01.networklayer.com - 1 | 550 | 548 | 14 | 14 | 40 | 14 |
| po1.fcr01.sr01.ams01.networklayer.com - 2 | 530 | 523 | 14 | 17 | 162 | 14 |
| speedtest.ams01.softlayer.com - 1 | 550 | 548 | 14 | 14 | 15 | 15 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Does GGG have a list of graphics drivers that are tested and known to be rock solid? I'm using the newest one from Nvidia.
I'm trying to think of anything that could have changed on my end on exactly the day 3.9 launched but I'm running out of ideas.

Dynamic resolution makes no difference.

> RT-AC68U-8CA8 -

Thats very easy to fix. It's basically something to do with DNS and ASUS(or ASUS + some ISP's). I have no idea what firmware are you using. Stock ASUS or OpenWRT. But what you have to do its configure DHCP so it forces DNS ips to clients + setup builtin DNS server in router so it doesnt work like DNS resolver/cacher/forwarder + don't use automatic dns from ISP.

(in openwrt you do this https://i.imgur.com/6u4AbDo.png + https://i.imgur.com/tWd9MIN.png ).

Also afair when i was struggling with simmilar 1:1 issue another solution was wireguard vpn, like https://mullvad.net/ $5, but you have to sure that DNS requests going into vpn, but it should be this way from the box.

The issue its something to do with that company that doing all networking/servers stuff for GGG. Forgot the name.

Also with that ASUS and PoE disconnections im pretty sure you are struggling with web browsing to. It looks like pages sometimes randomly not loading, or half of images not loading, or white blank page without errors.
Last edited by krab90 on Jul 15, 2020, 7:50:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info