[3.9] Poison BV Explosion Assassin - Super Speedy Mapper

3.9 Poison BV Explosion Assasin - Super Speedy Mapper

Gameplay vid: (fullclear rare T16 including metamorph in 1:30)
https://youtu.be/hgYRf1Oqnro

Poison is one of the best ways to scale phys explosions (new Crusader chest affix or Asenath's Gentle Touch). Assasin can easily get 100% chance to poison and you can also apply curses on hit with explosions. Making it possible to chain explosions nicely. The skilltree is optimized with damage nodes and AoE that also affects your explosions.

With Vaal BV, Plaguebearer and Wither Totems you also have a very strong single target nuke. Important especially in this league for metamorphs.

All you really need to get this build started is an explosion chest (or the gloves). The rest can be budget. 5-link is totally enough since your main damage while mapping will be Plague Bearer and the explosions, not BV.

Defences:
* 7-8k EHP
* Max dodge and spell dodge if your elusive buff is still high.
* Flesh and stone aura (and a decent amount of Evasion from your gear)
* Tempchains curse aura
* Fortify (stacks with reduced damage taken from Assasin ascendancy)

How is bossing?
Your single target is very good as long as you can nuke bosses. Conquerors should be no issue. When your flasks+Vaal BV drops off, the fights will take longer and we got no good way to regain life against bosses except flasks. Doing Sirus is still possible if you bring 3 life flasks. But this build is optimized for mapping.

PoB: https://pastebin.com/bYUYJB8U
Browser version: https://pob.party/share/inederitooamom

Gameplay style
Spoiler
Killing one pack should full recharge your Plague Bearer in most cases. Then activate Plague Bearer and Withering Step. After a few seconds you can use Shield Charge to move (you will lose Elusive buff at that point). Cast BV when you are waiting for something to die, especially when you are out of Plague Bearer.

Against bosses/metamorphs get full BV blades and place your Wither totems. Then press Steelskin, Plague Bearer, Vaal BV and lastly Withering Step. I run around the Boss to naturally dodge some attacks. You can also shield charge into boss or adds for fortify. If the boss is below half health, you can usually move away to a safer spot (Metamorph might have degen ground) and wait for the poison to finish them off.

If you are doing map boss and metamorph right after another, I usually safe Vaal BV and Plague Bearer for the Metamorph. Don't really know if that's the most optimal way, but feels good.

Gem links
Spoiler
Vaal BV - Unleash - Deadly Ailments - Vile Toxins - Unbound Ailments - Void Manipulation

On a 5link drop Void Manipulation. You don't need Poison Support since we want to have 100% chance to Poison for explosions anyways. But use it for leveling until you have 100%.

Plague Bearer - Empower - Increased AoE - Steelskin
Enlighten - Malevolence - Herald of Agony - Flesh and Stone
Shield Charge - Fortify - Faster Attacks
Wither - Spell Totem - Multiple Totems
Blasphemy - Temp Chains (if you got Solstice Vigil)
Withering Step
Flame Dash

If you don't have Solstice Vigil, you could run Steelskin in 3-link with Cast when Damage Taken and Increased Duration instead.

Bandits/Ascendancy/Pantheon
Spoiler
Bandits: kill all

Ascendancies (in that order): Noxious Strike (gives us 40% poison on hit), Toxic Delivery, Mistwalker, Opportunistic

Pantheon: Brine King against stun (and maybe freeze), Garukhan for evade and movement speed

Gear
Spoiler

My current SSF gear:

If you are interested in optimized non-SSF gear, check the "Fully optimized build" section.

Overall remarks on gear:
As with all builds try get as good life as possible on all your gear. Evasion bases are best for us. Try to get chaos resist as well, it's really important especially this league. Don't overvalue some minor damage mods.

Helmet
It's really good to get a reduced Mana reservation enchant which should be cheap. If you have Enlighten lvl4 you could go for something like Despair or TempChains curse effect.

Craft with a Pristine and Abberant fossils to get a good helmet with "-9% Chaos Resistance for nearby Enemies".

Of course as with all other gear you can just use a random decent rare helmet as budget option until you can upgrade.

Body
The only requirement of this build is the "Killed Enemies explode, dealing 3% of their life as physical damage" mod. You need a ilvl85 Crusader body armour to get that mod which might take a few thousand alterations. It's super rare.

With Awakaner Orbs you can combine two influence mods which is very strong. For this build I would certainly go for "Enemies can have 1 addtional curse" mod from Hunter body armours.

Gloves
I just use some rare gloves with really good life and resists. If you have a free prefix you can craft increased AoE (same goes for helmet as well).

If you don't have solstice vigil you can get some tempchains on hit gloves. That would also make your explosions apply tempchains.

Boots
I really like Atziri's Step for the high spelldodge (and evasion).

You could just use other temple boots with spelldodge or craft some Redeemer influence boots. Your spelldodge will be lower, but you could get some higher life or resists if you fancy that.

Weapon
Weapons are actually easy to craft with fossils. Use Abberant+Correded+Metallic.

As a base you would want to use any Kris (Dagger with 50% crit implicit). Optimal is probably ilvl82 as we avoid hitting added chaos damage mod, but still can roll all good mods for us.

If you can get your hands on a hunter influence dagger, that can roll "Poison you inflict, deal damage faster" and really high poison damage rolls.

We absolutely need Despair on hit from the weapon, which rolls pretty often with those fossils.
(Note: The "chance to poison" from the weapon is a local modifier, so it doesn't work for us, but that mod is hybrid with poison damage, so it's still good for us)

Shield
You probably need some resists from your shield, so you are good with just a rare shield with life and resists.

If you can get "+1 level to physical gems" or "increased critical strike chance" that's a nice bonus, but not necessary at all.

With a free prefix you can craft "physical gained as extra chaos" which is just as good maybe even better.

If you don't need resists from the shield, you could think about some unique shields as options. Mistwall could fit nicely. Zeel's Amplifier would be huge for the AoE.

Amulet
BIS is Solstice Vigil. Free Tempchains and Shaper's presence is really nice for BV and Steelskin. (not 100% sure if it slows down elusive dropping off)

You can just get a good rare amulet instead.

Annoints:
* Hunter's Gambit: Good all around for getting DoT multi, skill effect duration and faster poisons. (you can also get Hunter's Gambit with a Thread of Hope jewel, so don't annoint it, if you are planning to do that)
* Dirty Techniques: Best overall damage annoint, mostly due to 20% increased Poison Duration.
* Toxic Strikes: If you wanna get 100% poison chance without running Herald of Agony, you basically have to annoint this one. Allows for some other Aura setups like Aspect of Spider+Skitterbots instead of Malevolence+HoAg. Overall its not really an improvement, but if you prefer that, totally fine.
* Whispers of Doom: If you have some other chest without additonal curse that you really like to run, of course you could just annoint Whispers of Doom. It's really expensive though with 2 golden oils.

Rings
Just get life and resists. Best on Vermillion Ring bases. If possible get one mana regeneration affix or craft "Non-Channeling Skills have -9 to total mana cost". That way you should almost never run out of mana.

Belt
Just a good Stygian Vise with high life and resists. Getting some flask mods on belts is always good. Craft "Flask applied to you have increased effect". Especially if you run Atziri's Promise that mod is absolutely huge as it give use damage, chance to poison, movement speed (and a better life flask and chaos resist).

Jewels
Get one Onslaught Jewel. After that it's really good to have one jewel with chance to poison. This will cap out your poison chance with only taking one "chance to poison" node on the tree.
Of course there are some really nice mods if you wanna invest in a Malevolence watcher's eye.

Because we kill really fast, and could profit from all charges it's really good to take the Overcharged node in the lategame. One of the best ways is to put an Intuitive Leap in the socket nearby. (and also take Melding then)

Another lategame optimization is a Thread of Hope (very large) in the slot below Acrobatics. That way you can directly take "Hunter's Gambit", "Revenge of the Hunted", "Heart of the Oak" and "Swift Venoms". You would then also take the life wheel nearby.

Lastly because we run 2 unique flasks, we cannot get freeze immunity on flasks unless we run a "Corrupted Blood cannot be inflicted on you" Jewel. Than you could put freeze immune on your life flask.

Flasks
Spoiler

Coralito's is mandatory. Atziri' Promise is very good for Damage and Chaos Resists. Sin's Rebirth would be a damage upgrade over Atziri's, but you lose all that good Chaos Res.

Then Quartz to more easily cap out Dodge (and Phasing is also REALLY nice for just runnig through the map with Plague Bearer). And of course Quicksilver and Instant Life Flask. Alchemist's Quicksilver of Adrenaline if you wanna be super speedy.

Make sure you get curse immune and bleed immune (on life flask) and upgrade all your flasks to 20% quality. Flasks are super strong in PoE and they should be always up with this build while mapping.

If you can get an anti-bleed jewel, you can craft freeze immunity on your life flask.

Levelling and skill trees
Spoiler
I tried to level with Poison BV pretty much from the start, but it feels bad with low chance to poison and without unleash. Once you got Normal Lab and Unleash Support, the levelling feels pretty good. If you don't wanna respec, you can level with ED/Contagion and Bane until that point.

I included a few levelling trees in the PoB and endgame trees with and without Whispers of doom.

PoB: https://pastebin.com/bYUYJB8U
Browser PoB: https://pob.party/share/inederitooamom
Forum tree (lvl93): https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.9.2/AAAABAYBAAQHBLMFtQZwBucHHgeZCPQOSBEtEZYTbRQJFr8XsBhqHNwfQSLqIvQmiCaVKPosnC4jMHEyATLRNZI6QjpYOuE8BT1fQYdFR0WdSVFKi0t4TI5Ms03jUlNTUlVLVcZYB1nwXEBd8mHiakNqjGwLbRltbHBudZ52gngven98g3zlf8aCx4PbhG-EoofLjDaNv48aj_qTJ5OZlS6XlZf0mFOa4Juhn9-iAKLZplenm6jPrJiw2LIZtNG1SLcwtz64k7zqwGbIDMgUzxXPetAf1CPUQti93ajndOjW6-7vfO_r8B_w1fJF9W_31_no_gr-jw==

Fully optimized build
Spoiler
Since many people asked how I would optimize the build if I were not SSF.
Optimized PoB: https://pastebin.com/S3QAXSzf
Browser Link: https://pob.party/share/amihubikahumim

The PoB has about 15 million DPS against against regular bosses with BV and Vaal BV combined (because you have to add "20% more damage" from Opportunistic). You still have to add Plaguebearer DPS to that.

Of course our build is not really optimized for single target DPS, but to scale explosions.

Note, that this build should work very well with budget gear and you don't need to be fully optimized. Especially something like Hunter Gloves with Chaos Dot Multi should be one of the last things you think about improving, especially since you will probably be resist starved while optimizing crazy.

I think Zeel's Amplifier, Intuitive Leap and Thread of Hope are some of the best optimizations that also are not expensive.

Further possible optimizations: (not necessarily better)
* Using Tailwind boots instead of Spelldodge boots. Faster for mapping, but more vulnerable. Since we move very fast already, I don't know if it's worth.
* Sin's Rebirth over Atziri's Promise is debatable as I wrote. You trade 37% Chaos Resist for about 4-5% more damage. I would probably not do it, unless you have really high chaos res already.

Variant: Asenath's Gentle Touch
Spoiler
I haven't tried the build with Asenath's Gentle Touch. I'm unsure how it will work regarding you need one corpse already lying there and you get the explosions on the second death. Don't know if that feels much worse.
If it's good than Asenath's should be super nice. You get Temp Chains on hit as well and could use Carcass Jack as body.

I'm sure this build can still be optimized, so feel free to post suggestions.

Credit to waggle for the inspiration to combine the explosion chest with Poison BV. His build will be an occultist. Check out his stream, he's great.
Last edited by VisorX on Feb 14, 2020, 3:41:13 PM
Last bumped on Feb 14, 2020, 3:45:33 PM
Nice take on BV! Was looking for a good clearing build to maybe start the next league with, that uses no uniques as core items, and your build seems really cool! I know there is a trending build with the same idea, but using Asenath's and Cold Iron Point daggers. Do you think the daggers (or Bino's) could fit well with your build?

Gonna try your build to see how's leveling with it! Btw, any tips for leveling with this build as a league starter (like skills to use up to the first lab)?
I don't like Cold Iron Point at all as it only buffs your BV damage. And while mapping the main damage comes from Plaguebearer and explosions. (Plaguebearer recharges with one pack and its very noticeable if its up or not, you can even see that in the video)

Bino's is also unnecessary as everything dies after the first mob with explosion chains.

I rather have a dagger that buffs all my poison damage. And having the despair on hit is also really important.

My build is focussed on scaling the explosions. That's why we also take all the AoE nodes.

And I wouldn't want to give up shield charge running 2 daggers. (and if you run Zeel's Amplifier as shield that's actually big AoE for even more better chains)

As I wrote in the levelling section, I would probably go with other chaos skills until you get normal lab and unleash. So best is probably ED/Contagion and maybe switch to Bane once it's available.
Last edited by VisorX on Jan 24, 2020, 10:22:24 PM
Thanks for the reply! Had never used these skills before for leveling (or endgame), going to give it a try.
how is your build comapared to this one?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2670800/page/11

I already ahve 2x void battery and Badge of the brotherhood amulet, so i was wondering if your build is still better or not (I would sell those items to buy gear for your build if your build is better)

?
SHOP : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/682434
Last edited by xenochaos1 on Jan 25, 2020, 10:28:08 AM
"
xenochaos1 wrote:
how is your build comapared to this one?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2670800/page/11

I already ahve 2x void battery and Badge of the brotherhood amulet, so i was wondering if your build is still better or not (I would sell those items to buy gear for your build if your build is better)

?

Despite also using BV, this is an entirely different build which I also have no experience with. To call one build better, that would depend on your criteria for being better.

On the first page the creator wrote that he currently not recommends his build, because it has survivability issues against Metamorphs and struggles with increased health of magic and rare monsters. Something I have not experienced with my build.

In general I think it's much harder to scale the Herald of Ice explosions to the same damage as poison explosions (which scale with the monsters life).
Nice build, I'm in the process of getting the explode+curse chest.
Regarding the weapon section, you say that we shouldn't use Rune Dagger bases but Demon Dagger is a Rune Dagger.
Looking at poedb I think Rune Daggers would be the way to go.
Also Copper/Gold/Platinum Kris would be better than Demon Dagger because of the higher crit chance implicit. The rest of the base stats are worthless to us right?
You are right, Demon Dagger are Rune, must have looked that up wrong. I was thinking only losing 10% crit was worth it to have an easier time crafting the items, as we already block a lot of other affixes.

So yeah, best base should be any Kris. Probably ilvl82 as we avoid hitting added chaos damage, and still can get all good mods for us. I will change that in the guide.
I added a few things to the guide.
* Which annoints you can take.
* Taking the Overcharged node to get all the charges. Best with Intuitive Leap.
* Using a Thread of Hope below Acrobactics is a very good spot.

Since a lot of people also asked how I would optimize my build if I would not be in SSF, I created a PoB for this.

Optimized PoB: https://pastebin.com/S3QAXSzf
Browser Link: https://pob.party/share/amihubikahumim

The PoB has about 15 million DPS against against regular bosses with BV and Vaal BV combined (because you have to add "20% more damage" from Opportunistic). You still have to add Plaguebearer DPS to that.

Of course our build is not really optimized for single target DPS, but to scale explosions.

Note, that this build should work very well with budget gear and you don't need to be fully optimized. Especially something like Hunter Gloves with Chaos Dot Multi should be one of the last things you think about improving, especially since you will probably be resist starved while optimizing crazy.

I think Zeel's Amplifier, Intuitive Leap and Thread of Hope are some of the best optimisations that also are not expensive.

Further possible optimizations: (not necessarily better)
* Using Tailwind boots instead of Spelldodge boots. Faster for mapping, but more vulnerable. Since we move very fast already, I don't know if it's worth.
* Sin's Rebirth over Atziri's Promise is debatable as I wrote. You trade 37% Chaos Resist for about 4-5% more damage. I would probably not do it, unless you have really high chaos res already.
Last edited by VisorX on Jan 28, 2020, 5:33:32 PM
Thanks for the build!

Just got it to lvl 80 and It's one of the fastest mappers I've played. My favorite part so far is how easy the gearing was. I was able to craft everything but my helm, boots, gloves and rings.

I feel zeels amplifier is 100% not needed your aoe is already really big with 20% quality bv and plague bearer.

I chose to use devos for the helmet for more movement speed/chaos res and hands of the high templar for +4 to malevolence/flesh and stone/and tempchains. This pair also gave me flat spell crit and despair on hit freeing up a mod on my weapon.

EDIT: THIS BUILD IS SICK FOR BLIGHT MAPS ALSO!!!!
EDIT2: THIS BUILD IS SICK FOR DELVE ALSO

my gear:
Spoiler
Last edited by DrFlopolopogus on Feb 6, 2020, 2:40:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info