[3.9] Hillock's Cremation / Cyclone / Blade Vortex STR Stacking Chieftain

"FAITH DOES NOT MAKE US INVULNERABLE. IT MAKES US IMMORTAL"

(Screenshot taken while leveling, Act 2)

Changes

3.9 changes:

-> Really good sceptres are harder to get now, cause you can't craft more than 2 mods / Can be solved by using a unique and go for STR stacking such as Brutus or Doon Cuebiyari combo with Geofri's Sanctuary chest, for the purpose of this guide I used the second one, since I had already used the first on Synthesis and Legion. Sorry about that in advance

README

Note: Please post all your questions in this thread or come by the stream, or pm me in game. Make sure your profile is PUBLIC before asking for help so your character is visible. If you have issues with the trees and you're loading them into the poe website, don't. Import them into Path of Building. Please check out previous responses in the thread if you can, chances are I've answered them already.

I do not claim my guide to be original or the best or even this build to be super efficient. I write guides mostly because I'm fond of my characters and I'd like to share them.

I also stream sometimes.

=======================================================================

Hi, this is my third build guide and it was built in collaboration with two other fellas from my guild, my mentor the one and only Uchiha Foudace and Ciclonos which was the guild leader of my previous guild. It took a large inspiration in Nugi's own build, which was very innovative as the time being. I do not take credit for this POB, guide, or build, just wanted to share my progress as I create my third char for this Metamorph and Conqueror Of The Atlas league :D

Will create a separated passive tree for HC and HC SSF but for the time being the current final tree can be used in either the softcore SSF, trade league, or HC and HC SSF, just stay away from STR stacking if you're in any variation of SSF, and rush the Scion wheel and the juicy life nodes and resists on the tree before going for damage

Pros and cons

Pros:

+ Decent map clear

+ Either challenging to play (if you want to press more than one button, or do some combos like for example Desecrate + Cremation or something like that. Think of it as a necromancer playstyle but without the minions)

Or

+ Really braindead to play (if you want to switch Cremation with Righteous Fire, or just link Cremation and Desecrate with a Cast While Channeling Cyclone setup)

+ Good single target

Cons:

- Can be expensive if you're into min max, or if you don't want to STR stack like me and rather have a better scepter with 2 mods (or on a budget with a total price cost of 60 chaos orbs without Astramentis)

- No regen maps are annoying but feasable

Introduction

Introduction

Soo, I wanted to make something around the gem Cremation, a bit inspired on Nugi's HC SSF Metamorph league Cremation Chieftain. Can be easily swaped for Schorching Ray, Searing Bond, Righteous Fire, Blade Vortex, Explosive Arrow, etc. I also wanted to go hybrid and make use of the new Helm and Geofri's Sanctuary

I've been staying away from Winter orb, since I last posted on this forums and decided to finally give Cremation

There are many ways to maximize damage in Cremation build, but mostly on the scaling side of things. Kaom's Heart as life based and Geofri's Sancturary as Hybrid Life and Energy Shield. Based on my playing around with PoB, the Geofri's Sanctuary version does more damage and has more ES while being able to wombo combo with Doon's

Bandits

Bandits

Kill all

Ascendacy

Ascendancy

Ngamahu -> Hinekora -> Ramako -> Tasalio

Pantheon

Pantheon

Solaris/Lunaris and Ralakesh/Shakari
Last edited by FineWorkWithHillock on Jan 18, 2020, 5:54:36 PM
Last bumped on Feb 5, 2023, 5:26:29 AM
CONTINUATION OF THE MAIN POST DUE TO CHARACTER LIMIT

Gear slot analysis

Gear slot analysis:
Weapon:
Spoiler

Budget option: Any rare with Fire to spells, spell damage, spell crit.

Helmet:
Spoiler

Vaal Righteous Fire + Swift Affliction + Elemental Focus + Efficacy

BIS - Cremation / Cyclone / Blade Vortex / Righteous Fire enchant

Budget option: Black Sun Crest

Any rare with Strength, Attributes, Cold Resist, Lightning Resist

Chest:
Spoiler

6 Link GBBBRR

Cremation
Controlled Destruction
Immolate

Inspiration
Fire Penetration

Combustion

Not so budget version:
Loreweave

Budget version:
Any rare with Strength, Attributes and Resists (but Fire one, due to ascendacy)

Gloves:
Spoiler

Shaper's Touch (if stacking STR)

Flame Dash
Faster Casting
Arcane Surge (lvl 7)

Desecrate

Boots:
Spoiler

Rare with Aspect of the Spider

Flammability
Wave of Conviction
Curse On Hit

Culling Strike

BIS - 16% increased Attack and Cast if you've killed recently Enchant OR #-# fire damage if you've been hit recently

Amulet:
Spoiler

Astramentis

Budget option: Anything with Strength, Stats, Res

Belt:
Spoiler

Nothing relevant, fix resists or either grab a stygian vise with Strength and Res, or the one with 2 abyss jewels

Rings:
Spoiler

Resists, Str, Attributes

Get the -# to cost of non channeling skills craft

Maybe use Pyre
Last edited by FineWorkWithHillock on Jan 18, 2020, 5:31:14 PM

Flasks

Flasks

Right now I am using Rumi's Concoction, 1 quicksilvers with curse removal and increased duration, 1 basalt flask with freeze removal and a Wise Oak

Gem Links

Gem Links

Cremation
Controlled Destruction
Immolate

Inspiration
Fire Penetration

Combustion

Vaal Molten Shell
Decoy Totem
Flesh and Stone
Herald of Ash

Flammability
Wave of Conviction
Curse On Hit

Culling Strike

Flame Dash
Faster Casting
Arcane Surge (lvl 7)

Desecrate

(Aspect of the Spider)

Gem links

Gem links

Cremation
Controlled Destruction
Immolate

Inspiration
Fire Penetration

Combustion

Vaal Molten Shell
Decoy Totem
Flesh and Stone
Herald of Ash

Flammability
Wave of Conviction
Curse On Hit

Culling Strike

Flame Dash
Faster Casting
Arcane Surge
(lvl 7)
Desecrate

(Aspect of the Spider)

Annointments

Either "Beef" (budget) or Tranquility (expensive). The total cost of the second one is around 2 exalts if not mistaken last time I checked on poe.trade. There are also other interesting nodes that give 20 STR and other cool stats. But Beef is so well arounded. It gives plain 30 STR which benefits not only your EHP but also your damage, if you're using the sceptre on the main weapon since it gets % increased damage based on your STR.

Stats

Stats

Just from the passives, Rares, a Kaom's Heart and Sire of Shards (6 Links)

- Over 10 000 life (can be switched for CI with specific changes and jewels)
- 1000 mana
- Reserved mana 25 % (can be more if you link elemental focus with herald of ash)
- Chaos Resistance 50 (can be switched for CI for 100 %)

Jewels

This build can be considered a side project to dump your currency in. It is a scaling build, so the more gem slots you have the more stats you will have, STR to be more precise. The cost of the build can be from budget to several exalts. Basicly the only real expensive item is the jewel Efficient Training. You can have from 3 to 5 (or the gem slots you have available). Right now I am using a more budget friendly version by buying 4% increased STR Brawns with 10 % reduced INT. If you can buy 6% ones would be qol, the dexterity % is kinda whatever. Mostly since we don't take advantage from Evasion since we have Unwavering Stance Keystone. I am also using 2 Might of the Meeks, one slightly above the scion wheel above Marauder starting zone, and the other is near the Templar starting area, a bit to the left side. There is another spot on the tree not far from the curse reservation nodes that can also have a third Might of the Meek jewel.
Last edited by FineWorkWithHillock on Jan 18, 2020, 5:19:24 PM

Leveling guide

Leveling Guide

This character can't be a league starter due to gem rewards not being favourabe of a Marauder or rush Act 6. If in trade league you can buy them or trade with guild members

- Run any skill in act 1 you want, I usually do Freezing Pulse / Explosive Trap
- Get Blade Vortex right before Merveil (Act 1)

Act 1

Choose Metamorph (SC TRADE CHALLENGE LEAGUE PREF)
Create a Marauder
Kill Hillock
Grab Freezing Pulse (Quest reward) and buy Explosive Trap from Nessa

Equip Lifesprig (x2)

BBB or BBG

Freezing Pulse - Elemental Proliferation - Arcane Surge (lvl 1)

or

Freezing Pulse - Elemental Proliferation - Onslaught

if Arcane Surge (lvl 1) can be used in Frost Bomb

Level 12 you can use Blade Vortex if you switch Lifesprig (x2) for Axiom (x2)

At this point your aim setup Early game is done, time to aim for the mid to late end game setup ASAP

In my opinion there's no need to talk about the mid setup at least to be concerned about it for casual players like me

Start looking for Resistance Rings as well (don't mind fire much, 'cause ascendacy)

Cold for Merveil (Act 1 Boss)

Act 2

Start looking for Lightning Resistance Rings for Engineer (Act 2 Boss)

After entering town for the first time, turn right and go straight to grab the wp in the right side area on your way to Chamber of Sins (Crossroads if not mistaken). Then you can tp base, when you make it to Chamber of Sins. Only if you want to minimize the time spent in town AKA league start / race.

Act 3

Look for Fire Res Rings before going to the Crematorium (Act 3 zone)

Racing / speed running tips

Racing / speed running tips

Equip Lifesprig (x2) Wands BBB or BBG after killing Hillock (3 socket and linked if possible)

Equip Lochtonial Caress (lvl 1) Gloves RRRR (4 socket and linked if possible)

Equip Wanderlust (lvl 1) Boots BBBG (4 socket and linked if possible)

Equip Asenath's Mark (lvl 1) 4 L BBBG

Also consider using a Frostbolt setup with this weapon instead of wands

If you want to be even an extra faster for example in league start, or in a race, you should not equip any kind of chest before reaching act 3, if you're new to the game, but with the new league it can be kinda rippy if you create a monster in metamorph. Avoid choosing Life Regen, most builds except mines or traps handle the dps amount needed to outdamage the regen from this monsters. If you're on softcore, you can even push it further to rushing act 5 or even 7 without any piece of body armour. A little advice I would give, would be to keep a tabula with any leveling setup you need those colours on, or something, and a piece of body amour rare armour with life and resists. When you can afford buy a Thousand Ribbons (6 L) purely for budget / leveling, a Tabula Rasa, then Geoffri's Sanctuary if STR stacking, or Kaom's Heart if you pair it with the 6 L staff
Last edited by FineWorkWithHillock on Jan 18, 2020, 5:20:19 PM

Blade Vortex variant

Need regret orbs to re-spec some life nodes / early pathing since the current tree is not hc viable, not ssf either due to a large amount of uniques needed to work and its pathing is not gonna get you anything else besides STR if you try to follow it at level 1.

Also another time, this is not a 1 exalt budget league starter hc ssf viable build, due to some of the reasons I've stated before.

I've dropped the act. Dropped Cyclone, Cremation and Desecrate.

Focused on Blade Vortex (Vaal is a must and qol) and Wave of Conviction.

Rest just utilities (auras and CWDT setups) setups like:

CWDT (lvl 1) + Immortal Call (lvl 3) + Increased Duration (lvl 20) + Wave of Conviction (lvl 7)

or if you have extra sockets to fill:

CWDT (lvl 1) + Wave of Conviction (lvl 7) + Curse on Hit (lvl 20) + Flammability (lvl 20)

+

CWDT (lvl 20) + Steelskin (lvl 20) + Increased Duration (lvl 20) + Righteous Fire (lvl 20)

Gem links

Body Armour

4L: Vaal Blade Vortex + Controlled Destruction + Iron Will + Unleash

5L: Concentrated Effect

6L: Elemental Focus

Helmet

Vaal Righteous Fire + Elemental Focus + Swift Affliction + Efficacy

Movement skill

Here you have two choices, a Flame Dash Setup or a Shield Charge Setup

Flame Dash + Arcane Surge (lvl 7) + Faster Casting

or

Shield Charge + Faster Attacks + Fortify or Blood Magic

Auras

Anger, Herald of Ash and Vaal Discipline linked with a leveled Enlighten
Last edited by FineWorkWithHillock on Jan 18, 2020, 5:21:36 PM

Other guides

Other guides:
3.9 - EA Raider - Jack Of All Trades
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2748445

3.9 - Trickster - Winter Orb + Blade Vortex
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2715670
Last edited by FineWorkWithHillock on Jan 18, 2020, 5:57:00 PM

Necromancer variant

This is the level 15 Passive Tree of the Necromancer with this exact same build but CI with around 20 000 just from items. Around 3 exalts build alike. With Cyclopean Coil, Geoffri's Sancturary (only expensive if 6 L), Shaper's Touch (24 c) and so on
www.poeurl.com/cIcy

Leveling Guide

Kill Hillock

Fireball + Arcane Surge (lvl 1) + Onslaught

then

Fireball + Combustion + Unbound Ailments

Raise Zombie + Minion Damage + Summon Holy Relic

Clarity

Frostblink

then

Flame Dash + Arcane Surge (lvl 1)

Add Faster Casting in Act 2
Last edited by FineWorkWithHillock on Jan 18, 2020, 5:25:45 PM

Cyclone variant
WARNING!
Doesn't need to be 6 L, can be only 6 sockets, only pick 6 L if you need the links to replace a 6th support gem with an active one.

And tweaked a bit my Cyclone Setup to a more support less DPS focused.

Cyclone + CwC + Unearth + Volatile Dead + Cremation + Convocation

Convocation can be easily fit under a Cast When Damage Taken lvl 1 at around lvl 7. And then replace the 6th socket with Fortify (if you're playing without vigilant strike in the secondary setup, or if you're using flame dash instead of Leap Slam + Faster Attacks + Fortify + Blood Magic). Another good one would be GMP or Desecrate for even more corpse generation. Or either Conc Effects for Bossing, or Increased AOE for mapping / clearing.

What are your thoughts ?
Last edited by FineWorkWithHillock on Jan 18, 2020, 5:26:04 PM

Blade Vortex variant

New POB link (need regret orbs to re-spec some life nodes / early pathing since the current tree is not hc viable, not ssf either due to a large amount of uniques needed to work and its pathing is not gonna get you anything else besides STR if you try to follow it at level 1.

Also another time, this is not a 1 exalt budget league starter hc ssf viable build, due to some of the reasons I've stated before.

I've dropped the act. Dropped Cyclone, Cremation and Desecrate.

Focused on Blade Vortex (Vaal is a must and qol) and Wave of Conviction.

Rest just utilities (auras and CWDT setups) setups like:

CWDT (lvl 1) + Immortal Call (lvl 3) + Increased Duration (lvl 20) + Wave of Conviction (lvl 7)

or if you have extra sockets to fill:

CWDT (lvl 1) + Wave of Conviction (lvl 7) + Curse on Hit (lvl 20) + Flammability (lvl 20)

+

CWDT (lvl 20) + Steelskin (lvl 20) + Increased Duration (lvl 20) + Righteous Fire (lvl 20)

Current Gear

Trinkets

Flasks

Gem links

Body Armour

4L: Vaal Blade Vortex + Controlled Destruction + Iron Will + Unleash

5L: Concentrated Effect

6L: Elemental Focus

Helmet

Vaal Righteous Fire + Elemental Focus + Swift Affliction + Efficacy

Movement skill

Here you have two choices, a Flame Dash Setup or a Shield Charge Setup

Flame Dash + Arcane Surge (lvl 7) + Faster Casting

or

Shield Charge + Faster Attacks + Fortify or Blood Magic

Auras

Anger, Herald of Ash and Vaal Discipline linked with a leveled Enlighten
Last edited by FineWorkWithHillock on Jan 18, 2020, 5:28:26 PM
Sorry for this mess of a post, but measures needed to be taken, could not edit my old topic :'(

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info