Arctic Armour

How does Arctic Armor interact with the upcoming Manashield passive? Is Arctic Armor applied before or after the Manashield effect?
From what I've observed it happens after...

Assume 30% armor, lvl 15 AA, MOM

Hit for 1000 damage:
30% less from armor --> 700 damage
-102 from AA --> 598 damage
30% from MOM (because that's the damage that is attempting to be applied to your health)
--> 179 mana damage, 419 health damage

I believe that's how it works. My mana regen is so high I don't really see my mana being depleted though.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Atmotion wrote:
Question @ Mark_GGG:

Does the fire damage reduction portion of this skill reduce the damage taken from reflect when using the Discharge skill or for any fire based reflected damage for that matter?

Really curious, because that would make my life based Discharge build even more viable towards endgame.

Thanks in advance!
Not currently. This may change when reflect is re-worked

now that reflect has been reworked (reduced in 1.0.0) does the skill mitigate reflected fire damage? I want it to D:
I dont see an answer for this anywhere so I'll make my question here,

Artic Armour work with The Covenant or Malachai? I mean, those items make you use blood magic so your spells use life instead of mana, but Artic Armour should still drain your mana right? I dont want to Artic Armour use life, I know it drains mana, I want to know if it will still work.
♠RaGoN♦
"
Jazzo wrote:
now that reflect has been reworked (reduced in 1.0.0) does the skill mitigate reflected fire damage? I want it to D:

It does.
"
RaGoNXIII wrote:
Artic Armour work with The Covenant or Malachai? I mean, those items make you use blood magic so your spells use life instead of mana, but Artic Armour should still drain your mana right? I dont want to Artic Armour use life, I know it drains mana, I want to know if it will still work.

Blood Magic changes Mana Costs and Mana Reserves. The Mana Drain is part of a Buff, so it sits unaffected.
"
Vipermagi wrote:

"
RaGoNXIII wrote:

Blood Magic changes Mana Costs and Mana Reserves. The Mana Drain is part of a Buff, so it sits unaffected.

Thats what I thought, thanks ;)
♠RaGoN♦
Is this skill some sort of sadistic joke? Even if all your gear had +mana and +mana regen, you wouldnt even come close to the upkeep cost of this skill.

I really wish they would rather nerf the damage reductions by 25% and decrease the mana degen while moving by 50%. The base mana per second cost should be lowered regardless, by atleast 50%.

The manacost on this thing is uttely insane, you would have to build an entire character around it to even maintain it.
"
Ouroboros226 wrote:
The manacost on this thing is uttely insane, you would have to build an entire character around it to even maintain it.
That's the point. This is not meant to be a skill you can maintain. The option exists to build around achieving that, if you so desire, but this is specifically intended as a temporary buff skill, not something you can always have on.
"
Ouroboros226 wrote:
Is this skill some sort of sadistic joke? Even if all your gear had +mana and +mana regen, you wouldnt even come close to the upkeep cost of this skill.

I really wish they would rather nerf the damage reductions by 25% and decrease the mana degen while moving by 50%. The base mana per second cost should be lowered regardless, by atleast 50%.

The cost is quite reasonable if you stand still. Also, be sensible about levelling it up - if it burns too much mana at max level, use a lower-level gem.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Ouroboros226 wrote:
That's the point. This is not meant to be a skill you can maintain. The option exists to build around achieving that, if you so desire, but this is specifically intended as a temporary buff skill, not something you can always have on.

Hmm I understand. Please excuse my rather hostile tone. I saw this skill and loved it until I saw the manacost. So you guys intended for this skill to be a stationary bunker kinda vs bosses in a 1v1 attrition fight, with the possibility of moving around with it at the cost of having to customize your character around it?

Its just that when I did some math:

Mana per second: 38.3
When running: +192/s
Damage reduction: 189

Lets set up a scenario. You encounter a fire based boss with adds. You spend 12 seconds dispatching them. You spend half of that time moving around.

1152 mana + 456 mana = 1608 mana. Lets say you got hit 8 times in that time = 1512 damage mitigated. Lets say you took 6000 total damage over 10 seconds = 600 damage per second. With arctic you would instead take 449 damage per second average. You spent 1600 mana to mitigate 150 damage per second. (11 mana per point of damage?)

The skill just seemed too weak considering the cost. But if your design was intended to have the movement part optional - I understand. And my example may be biased in my favor assuming my math is correct. If you could, can you come with an example where arctic armor would be a great asset? (With the including math)

EDIT: This has probably been answered but Im assuming -% manacost nodes doesent work on the mana per second cost of arctic armor?

Last edited by Ouroboros226 on Oct 29, 2013, 9:55:31 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info