[3.11] LL Vortex Occultist (endgame/deep delve optimized)

Thinking about creating a tanky witch to tackle bosses in a chill manner (pun intended). I have a lv81 necro ready to respec and I can spend 10-20 ex. Do you think I can have easy time with end game bosses? Would appreciate if anyone can sell their entire gears to me to save time ;)
So I've been playing this build for about a week, I was torn between switching from bane pop (leveling) to this, and so far I'm liking the build alot. I've invested a good amount of ex into it so far but any suggestions are welcome and appreciated if anyone is kind enough to look over my character. I know I need to craft a better helm but I haaaate buying fossils.

I'm really not sure what kind of upgrades to go for as this is my first time playing this build, or using Vortex at all. Gem slot, skills, and tree recommendations all welcome. I'm already pushing into high red maps, I guess my goal is uber elder/sirus 8 comfortably.

One question I had is EE vs non EE. I see a lot of ppl with both on poe.ninja, but I'm unsure which is actually more dps. When I talent EE into PoB, it shows Vortex doing less damage. I'm unsure how it would work, since you are hitting with lightning sometimes but are also hitting with cold.
Last edited by venroh on Feb 13, 2020, 9:50:41 AM
"
wiwigvn wrote:
Thinking about creating a tanky witch to tackle bosses in a chill manner (pun intended). I have a lv81 necro ready to respec and I can spend 10-20 ex. Do you think I can have easy time with end game bosses? Would appreciate if anyone can sell their entire gears to me to save time ;)

This build is exactly intended to deal with deadly content without feeling much pressure. 20ex is just about a good threshold from where you can get good gear for all slots. Level 81 might lack a bit of important skillpoints but you can just get there quickly.
"
venroh wrote:
So I've been playing this build for about a week, I was torn between switching from bane pop (leveling) to this, and so far I'm liking the build alot. I've invested a good amount of ex into it so far but any suggestions are welcome and appreciated if anyone is kind enough to look over my character. I know I need to craft a better helm but I haaaate buying fossils.

I'm really not sure what kind of upgrades to go for as this is my first time playing this build, or using Vortex at all. Gem slot, skills, and tree recommendations all welcome. I'm already pushing into high red maps, I guess my goal is uber elder/sirus 8 comfortably.

One question I had is EE vs non EE. I see a lot of ppl with both on poe.ninja, but I'm unsure which is actually more dps. When I talent EE into PoB, it shows Vortex doing less damage. I'm unsure how it would work, since you are hitting with lightning sometimes but are also hitting with cold.

1. Gear: I recommend switching your shield to a good rare one but if you would rather prefer to run extra hatred that's fine. Otherwise you could get some upgrades here and there. Perhaps better rings, gloves, boots. Certainly try to get Lethal Pride and Watcher's eye, they are very important. And also few tips: even if you are treating some gear as intermediate point, there are always small things that let you get stronger with 0 investment. Like using blessed orbs on your rings you get extra resists so that maybe it leaves pressure from other gear slots. Or getting your quartz flask to 20% quality. Small things, but the list goes on :).

2. About EE: I guess I'll repeat myself but that's ok.

If you want to see actual damage increase in pob you need to go to configuration tab , and in the lower right corner set 'enemy hit by lightning damage' and 'ignore skill hit damage'. Now the explanation why it works in practice is the trigger skills setup in 1h. EE only counts hits, not DOT, so when you press vortex and it is immediately followed by triggered storm brand/ orb of storms it works in our favour, making that trigger setup very vital to DPS.
I don't know your source but 92% of occultists with this build variation use EE. It is in fact the huge dmg boost and the reason why trigger socketed skills setup in 1h is very important.
Done all conquerors easily, basically unkillable if I pay attention to ES. Done Sirus Lv8 with a few deaths, the DIE beam is the only thing that killed me but that's just overconfidence, lol, I guess if I x2 dps I can kill him deathless easily (the damage is still low - 1 mil shaper without vaal RF). Surprisingly mapping is not slow at all, just running through packs dropping vortex and cold snaps. Not 2-screen fast compared to projectile build, but still pretty fast.

My gears are just 5 ex, among which 6L Shav, enchanted amulet and lethal pride already cost 4 ex lol, so I think it's already very good investment.
Last edited by wiwigvn on Feb 16, 2020, 5:38:22 AM
Your POB has Eldritch Battery selected rather than CI.

Following POB but double checking your char passive tree while I build this char.

Just FYI.
"
Pip_n_Tip wrote:
Your POB has Eldritch Battery selected rather than CI.

Following POB but double checking your char passive tree while I build this char.

Just FYI.

It doesn't matter. It is explained that you can allocate either CI or EB. You are not supposed to use any of those keystones anyways. Instead you should have a Glancing Blows keystone which replaces those keystone once you place proper Lethal Pride jewel in the recommended spot.
Been playing this build for a little while now and I can say I'm loving it. Clear is really fast and the survivability has been amazing. Completed my first sirus fight after a few failed attempts on other characters, so thank you!

Just looking where I could focus my next bit of currency. Level 4 empower is on my list but looking for suggestions as well. Thanks in advance!
"
Forward1115 wrote:
Been playing this build for a little while now and I can say I'm loving it. Clear is really fast and the survivability has been amazing. Completed my first sirus fight after a few failed attempts on other characters, so thank you!

Just looking where I could focus my next bit of currency. Level 4 empower is on my list but looking for suggestions as well. Thanks in advance!

Level 4 empower is not really worth it, since even at lvl 4 it is weaker than any current support gems(empower could perhaps only be better in case you had shavronnes with +gem level corruption). It might be better idea to get enlighten 4 for your curse setup instead (it just helps with mana a bit, though it shouldn't be a problem anyways).
Otherwise your gear is already very good. I'd say maybe you could get slightly better gloves but they are fine as they are. Mostly what is left are some small upgrades like using catalysts on your ring or doing 28quality from hillock on some of your gear. Also consider divining your watcher's eye, you can get up to 40 recharge, currently is it 30 in your case.
Of course, there are always some currency sinks, like getting watcher's eye with 2 or 3 desirable mods, or shavs with good corruption (both most likely dozens of exalts expensive). While certainly not needed, they are always worth knowing for people who enjoy pushing builds to the limit.
"
Grozaa wrote:
"
Forward1115 wrote:

Level 4 empower is not really worth it, since even at lvl 4 it is weaker than any current support gems(empower could perhaps only be better in case you had shavronnes with +gem level corruption). It might be better idea to get enlighten 4 for your curse setup instead (it just helps with mana a bit, though it shouldn't be a problem anyways).
Otherwise your gear is already very good. I'd say maybe you could get slightly better gloves but they are fine as they are. Mostly what is left are some small upgrades like using catalysts on your ring or doing 28quality from hillock on some of your gear. Also consider divining your watcher's eye, you can get up to 40 recharge, currently is it 30 in your case.
Of course, there are always some currency sinks, like getting watcher's eye with 2 or 3 desirable mods, or shavs with good corruption (both most likely dozens of exalts expensive). While certainly not needed, they are always worth knowing for people who enjoy pushing builds to the limit.

Sorry, I meant enlighten 4. Not sure why my mind went to empower. I'll look for a new set of gloves and plan on doing more Hillocks now. Thanks for the suggestion on divining the watcher's eye, i totally missed the lower roll. Thanks a lot!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info