[Archived] Moosseolini's Holy Relics Guardian

"
Moosseolini wrote:
"
pmemer wrote:
idk if I'm doing something wrong, but I found this build to be very, very squishy so far. Starting Act 5 I was getting my ass handed to me and I died 41 times in acts 5-10. Also I couldn't even make it through a basic tier 1 white map.

"
IrreparabIe wrote:
It's not just you, either I'm also doing something very wrong (Which could be, I am a total PoE noob), or something is missing here.

It's true that the game gets hard from Act 6 onwards, but you shouldn't be having this much trouble. I must have messed up somewhere.

Here's my current thought process...
- Items can't be the root cause because as long as you're picking up gear with life and elemental resistances, you should do fine.
- Passive tree can't be the problem either because there's plenty of life and damage points allocated. I'll try to optimise it better anyway though.
- By the sound of things, I am going to have to re-think the skill gem choices for levelling. I think there's plenty of room for improvement there.
- The melee playstyle of the build is also a factor here. This build is VERY melee, which is dangerous until the character is tanky

In the meantime, here are some things to point out that should help:
1) Swap back to Steelskin with 0 support gems. Press Steelskin whenever you're fighting to massively increase your ability to take damage.
2) Try to get your hands on a Granite Flask, either from drops or as a quest reward. It will make you very tanky while it's active.
3) In case you're not doing this already. Focus on getting your elemental resistances to 75%, and then getting as much life as possible.

Edit: akinunal1337 has posted some good advice on the next page.

First of, thank you very much for listening to my concerns, it is much appreciated!

You advice in combination with akinuna11337's advice has helped me a lot, so thank you again.

One point I would like to is the following:

As someone who is relatively new to PoE, especially actively going for endgame content (with a group of friends), the point that the "passive skill tree has plenty of life and damage points allocated." doesn't mean much when you as a beginner don't know when to get what :P

While I tried to go for life first simply because I thought I will need it, someone might go for damage, damage, damage first and find themselves far away from large life clusters like "Constitution" and its surrounding nodes, thus making their experience less enjoyable until the grinded out the the levels to get there.

This is also the reason why I prefer a bit more "hand holding" when a leveling skill tree is provided; A general idea where one should go first is always helpful.

"
akinunal1337 wrote:
"
IrreparabIe wrote:
"
pmemer wrote:
idk if I'm doing something wrong, but I found this build to be very, very squishy so far. Starting Act 5 I was getting my ass handed to me and I died 41 times in acts 5-10. Also I couldn't even make it through a basic tier 1 white map.

idk if I just need better gear or life nodes or what, but I don't think I've ever had this much trouble getting through acts with just the random garbage rares and uniques I find on the ground.

It's not just you, either I'm also doing something very wrong (Which could be, I am a total PoE noob), or something is missing here.

I just started ACT V and am getting my ass kicked majorly. I went for res gear as much as I could from the drops I've found, haven't bought any gear from trade though.

I didn't have an issue while leveling, infact leveling was very easy with this build for me. I was just using static strike once every 3-4 seconds and running. Even rares were getting 1 shot from holy minion.

I checked both your profiles, pmemer have 78 life from all his items, IrreparabIe has 98 life from all his items. This is your first mistake here, you focused way too much on resists and ignored life. You can simply use a bismuth flask with "of resistance" suffix. This will give you around 60 all resist.

You don't have any defensive flasks. Get a granite flask with "of iron skin" suffix, and this flask alone will make your armor 6-7k which is more than enough for leveling. You don't need 3 quicksilver or life flasks. Only 1 is enough. Life/Mana/Bismuth/Granite/Quicksilver is a good combo. You can also change bismuth with basalt if you don't have resist issues.

You both don't have fortify linked to static strike. This is important. Drop some fusings on your items or just pick 4L items and use essences/alchemies on them. Just don't save your non-valuable orbs. Rituals are giving tons of alchemies/essences/fusings early. Just use them.

@IrreparabIe You can also use a shield instead of that second weapon that have no benefit to you. You also need to get resolution technique asap. And add brutality gem instead of carrion golem.

You can use your crafting bench on your hideout and craft 30-40 life on your items. It may look low but if you craft on all your items, you will get like 600-700 life at total with tree passives.

And lastly, you can try using herald of purity instead of pride. This herald summons up to 4 minions and if i remember right, they can take the aggro. Since we don't need more damage but survivability, this can help.

Thank you for using some of your time to help me as well, it also is much appreciated.

It is true that I focused on res more so than anything else, as I figured it was the most important.

As Flasks aren't mentioned in the "leveling" section of the guide, only in the "gear" section and there without a "leveling" recommendation, I tried going with that as much as possible. Hence the 3 Quick Silver and 2 Life Flasks (2 Life because I felt squishy, as mentioned".)

I don't really feel the need for a Mana Flask right now, so I will try to get my hands on a Granite Flask and replace the second Life Flask with it to see how it goes.

Not having Fortify linked to Static Strike has been fixed (Even before I read this :P), but it isn't as easy as "using some "alchemies/essences/fusings". I tried finding 4 links but most were int so no fat chance of getting 4 red slots and even when I find red slots I either run out of re-colour or re-link orbs :/

Resolution Technique has been acquired as of yesterday!

I now also have brutality linked to my relic, while having the carrion golem in a "free" slot (Yes, I know increased duration doesn't do anything for it, but I want to level the game and have no red linked 4 slot yet to add it to static strike :P).

I will try using the crafting bench in the hideout, that is something I have not used (besides the initial quest to do it) at all, so I'll see how it goes!

I'll try replacing Pride with Herald of Purity and see how it goes.

Something I have to add in general, I noticed that my "play style" was also at fault, because I stood in mobs too long instead of using hit and run - After trying to stay out of the way more, I also survive more. Though there are still some mobs that seemingly one-shot me without much issue, heh.
Why do we go for steelwood stance and not get glancing blows?
"
IrreparabIe wrote:

First of, thank you very much for listening to my concerns, it is much appreciated!

You advice in combination with akinuna11337's advice has helped me a lot, so thank you again.

One point I would like to is the following:

As someone who is relatively new to PoE, especially actively going for endgame content (with a group of friends), the point that the "passive skill tree has plenty of life and damage points allocated." doesn't mean much when you as a beginner don't know when to get what :P

While I tried to go for life first simply because I thought I will need it, someone might go for damage, damage, damage first and find themselves far away from large life clusters like "Constitution" and its surrounding nodes, thus making their experience less enjoyable until the grinded out the the levels to get there.

This is also the reason why I prefer a bit more "hand holding" when a leveling skill tree is provided; A general idea where one should go first is always helpful.

Thanks for the feedback, I know what needs work now. Hand-holding is soon going to be in the guide to help out newer players.
"
Kelpocalypse wrote:
Why do we go for steelwood stance and not get glancing blows?

Glancing Blows is a good keystone, and it is entirely up to you whether to take it or not. In my version of the build, I decided not to go for it.

My reasoning being that we get pretty high block already; above 50% for both attack and spell block. With this much block, I would rather block slightly less often but have it reduce more damage.
Just FYI for min maxers with this build, in relic league, synthesis base with +1 socketed support gems is available for crafting on. gives an extra level to you relics at the cost of the block implicit.
thank you kindly for sharing this awsome build, it litteraly saved me from quitting this league (couldnt find any build which would pick up my intrest

also have a question: is it worth to get notable "Sanctum Of Thought", as
we go for Ascendency node "Time Of Need" would that mean that we would be curse immune like with 2x kikazaru and sanctum of thought ?
"
thank you kindly for sharing this awsome build, it litteraly saved me from quitting this league (couldnt find any build which would pick up my intrest

also have a question: is it worth to get notable "Sanctum Of Thought", as
we go for Ascendency node "Time Of Need" would that mean that we would be curse immune like with 2x kikazaru and sanctum of thought ?

It works exactly like 2x Kikazaru and Sanctum of Thought. Bear in mind, we can still get cursed by curses with increased curse effect, but those mainly appear on high tier map mods and not many other places.
Last edited by Moosseolini on Jan 22, 2021, 4:23:53 PM
Update on my situation:

After changing around some gear, getting Herald of Purity (again) and going more for hit and run, the build is way more fun now! :D

I haven't died in quite a while after the changes and it totally was not the fault of the build that I kept dying, so don't worry Moosseolini!
"
IrreparabIe wrote:
Update on my situation:

After changing around some gear, getting Herald of Purity (again) and going more for hit and run, the build is way more fun now! :D

I haven't died in quite a while after the changes and it totally was not the fault of the build that I kept dying, so don't worry Moosseolini!

I think the guide wasn't explaining key concepts good enough, so perhaps even if the build is still good, the guide could be better. It should explain levelling a bit better now thanks to your struggles.
"
Moosseolini wrote:
"
IrreparabIe wrote:
Update on my situation:

I think the guide wasn't explaining key concepts good enough, so perhaps even if the build is still good, the guide could be better. It should explain levelling a bit better now thanks to your struggles.

Yes, I like how you give new players a foothold on where to go on the passive tree now, although if I may give another critique, I would make an obvious distinction between "Go to that node and get it" and "Go towards that note but don't get it"; like for example with "Death Attunement" where you say "travel to" like everywhere else, but you don't actually take the note. Someone might miss that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info