3.9| DEADITOR |Elemental Hit w/ Ballista Totem Support| Use Any Gear! (Need a Big Investment Though)

Hello again. Last season, I had a good time playing the previous version of this build (without Ballista Totem Support) for the while it lasted, so I tried running this as a league starter in SSF HC. After a few bad starts of me not reading the patch notes and immediately dying to Vaal Oversoul and stuff, I managed to get the build going and I'm now doing maps looking for trial portals.

To make this build more HC viable, I had to make one big adjustment which then might cascade into a lot of other adjustments. The biggest HC problem I had with this build was the lack of sustain. While using flasks and the Vitality aura was pretty alright during leveling, I don't think I would've survived in maps with just that.

So, I picked the Chieftain ascendancy instead of the Inquisitor one. While Chieftain doesn't increase damage by a lot, the 1% life leech for damage dealt by totems is very significant. It's practically a discount overleech since the totems hit so often.

Last time, overconfidence and getting stunlocked caused my death. I wanted to solve that problem by taking the Juggernaut ascendancy instead, but I had to take Chieftain instead. So I'm planning to take the Unwavering Stance keystone somehow. I'm not yet sure whether it will come by taking the Path of the Marauder instead of the Ranger though. Probably, since that will make evasion worthless and there are a lot of armor/life nodes near Marauder instead? I dunno, I'll let you know how it goes if I complete the last lab before dying.

I've also got a few questions about the build. Is Assassin's Mark really the best choice for an offensive aura? Right now I have to run Purity of the Elements because I don't have enough resistances, but I'm wondering for later. On-kill effects don't work with totems so it doesn't give any power charges or life, does it?

I'm pretty sure that Inspiration Support works for this build? It kind of sounds like it shouldn't, but you gain inspiration charges whenever you use a totem. And since they're dirt cheap and quick to cast the uptime is basically 100%. I haven't done any proper testing, but at least the in-game damage number goes up with inspiration charges.

Your passive tree explanation also mentions the three phasing nodes. Is this just a relic from the earlier version? The nodes aren't very good when you don't get phasing from totem kills...
"
Kaorael wrote:
Hey Wrecker!

I really loved your necro build last league so I wanted to give this one a try.

So far it's been nice, though with some rough spots. The ballistas (just got the 4th) are usually enough to clear anything, though for speed I've added a Split Arrow + Volley Support + Pierce Support link to help deal with crowds. It's fun seeing the absurd number of arrows you fire at once. Things get much better once you make it to the southeast part of the tree and start picking damage increases, until then you are resilient but lack damage.

I'm curious though, what's the point of linking Cast when Damage Taken with Summon Ice Golem and Blood Rage? It feels dangerous to link having taken a big hit with a life degen, and the golem you'd want up all the time anyway...

Enjoying myself in any case, thanks for your effort with all your guides!
Hey Kaorael!

3.8 was crazy for Necros hey?

Thanks for the feedback! Ya, the southeast part of the tree is where things really improve. Good call.

The thing to keep in mind with CwDT is that it's additive. So it doesn't take a big hit to cast them, though a big hit would. The two skills linked to the high-level CwDT are just bonuses that weren't important enough for me risk self casting in a tough spot just to turn on. But you're right. I have yet to see the real value of Blood Rage. Attack Speed is a big deal with Ballista's so I wanted to see its value first, before writing it off.

I'm glad you're liking it. Let me know if anything else comes to mind.
https://www.ForeverExiled.com/: Forever Exiled, A Path of Exile Podcast

Annnnnd

Wrecker of Days' One-Stop-Shop: Stress-Free Builds (& Filters): 1-Button, HC SSF, Item Freedom: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3467875
"
KaiEbel wrote:
Hey! Thanks for your service.

It is by far the hardest league start I've ever had, that's why I might be discouraged.

I started with Arc totems, freezing pulse totems, fire totems, tornado shot, splitshot, frostblades and really had never any problems like now.

I can understand that the rngesus can be to our disadvantage but not able to properly play the game is another thing and I guess you can understand it too!

My gear and my stuff is now as it is, because I deal more damage with using the skill by myself rather than with the ballista totems and still, I feel I can't do anything and just leech and hoping hitting lvl 90 and grab stuff. And this isn't the way I wanna play the game. I use groups to get faster xp but want to play for myself most of the time.

Your builds are well written, that's why I wanted to try something different. Sadly it didn't work out yet.

regards and thanks for your time
Hey KaiEbel!

This build got really easy to play and clear around 35 for me. I have garbage gear (though I do have my resists maxed). I'm playing with the white 4 link bow. Once you start hitting the damage nodes in the southeast of the tree things really take off.

Anyway,here's my playlist on Youtube for this league if you care to check it out. If you've moved on though, enjoy the league!

Annnnnd

Wrecker of Days' One-Stop-Shop: Stress-Free Builds (& Filters): 1-Button, HC SSF, Item Freedom: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3467875
"
Aeris85 wrote:
Hi there!
Enjoying the build at level 44 right now. Got all the gem combos in now.

I'm wondering:
1. Is Bow attack speed really affecting how fast my Ballistas shoot? Because it's technically not my bow anymore that does the shooting.
2. So, Blasphemy Support + Assassin's Mark curse enemies near to me. Nice. But I am also supposed to run around and avoid enemies' hits, am I not? So if I do take care of myself and evade manually, the curse is often not applied anymore, since the range is pretty low. How is that supposed to work?

Apart from that, to be read with a giggle:
I am quite sceptic that so little things are required in this build ;). I played Fiver's Frostblade Ranger before, and EVERYTHING was taken care of by him. The flasks, the Jewels in the Skill Tree, the Anointments... And these things are not mentioned here.
Why is that? Was the Frostblades Ranger inferior and thus needed all these things, and the Deaditor is soooooo much stronger that e.g. Jewels are not needed?

EDIT: I also noticed: The life leech from Blood Rage doesn't work with the Totems. Only if I shoot myself, I get the life leech. The build description didn't really sound like that, since you said more like "it's a 1 button build, you just have to place the totems, and they do everything for you". Do I misunderstand sth here?
Hey Aeris85!

I'm glad you're liking it! It's fun when levelling to finally get all the gems working as designed. Good stuff.

1. Totems (including Ballistas) use all of your increases and decreases to stats that apply to the skills you've linked to your totems. So increasing YOUR damage and attacks speed applies to your totems.
2. Ballistas are always laid within melee range of the character. Yes, moving around is key, but the auras are more intended to be bonus damage to enemies that are close to you instead of applied to everyone...though in the end, the auras will cover a big portion of the screen.
3. Life Leech will not work. Well, it gives the leech to the totems, the ones casting the skill. The Chieftain Ascendancy lets totem leech impact us...but I haven't selected it. You may if you like though! (I have Blood Rage set to a CwDT. It's just for the Attack Speed bonus. You may remove it if you don't find it valuable enough.)

:) Thanks for the humour. It's just so fun to be excited about every drop. That's why I like playing without uniques. That being said though, there are infinite possibilities for theory crafting and build creation in this game. And it's due in a large part to build that can/do revolve around uniques. It's just an amazing game no matter where you go! (I know you were joking :). )

Thanks for the post and the kind compliments! I hope you keep enjoying the build. Let me know if I misunderstood something.

Annnnnd

Last edited by Wrecker_of_Days on Dec 18, 2019, 9:27:17 AM
"
Katalaeia wrote:
"
How's level 77 treating you? The build is starting to do a lot better for me so I'm pretty stoked to get to the Atlas. I'm two or three nodes away from the 4th totem which will make a huge difference!

I'm glad you've found a weapon that's been able to carry you this far! I found a rare that had 51% to elemental damage. So that was nice until I found a 4 link that matched what I needed. So that was that.

Thanks for your encouragement and your update :).

It's going okay. My ballistas absolutely shred trash but to be fair I'm only in T2 maps. Metamorphs generally consist of me running around like a headless chicken - the ballistas don't seem to do a whole lot of damage to those (or bosses in general) and I'm guessing that at least some of that is due to bosses being buffed.

But trash packs? My ballistas 1- or 2-shot a lot of them yet. There's something oddly satisfying about seeing a huge pack in a room, plopping down a ballista, and seeing everything die before your second ballista is even able to fire a shot off.

Any tips for melting bosses/metamorphs faster?
Hey Katalaeia!

I haven't reached the endgame yet. I'm still in act 6 (and I have company coming over tonight for Christmas so who knows when I'll get there). I've heard that, in general, some people are simply skipping Metamorph because it's just too hard for a first playthrough. That's obviously not the case with every player though ;).

How are map bosses? They are typically a good judge of damage output.

I remember playing the Syndicate league. Those interactions were nerfed about 5 times in the first month until people could actually handle them. This is the first league with the new enemy defensive system. At the same time, they added bosses with random modifiers on them. So I'd expect them to do a thorough overview of community feedback shortly. (Hopefully, it's not the build. But if it is, they will have to be changed that I make for 3.10.)

I'll keep you posted as I get to endgame and deal with some of them as well.

Sorry it wasn't an enlightening post.

Annnnnd

"
hopala wrote:
Hello again. Last season, I had a good time playing the previous version of this build (without Ballista Totem Support) for the while it lasted, so I tried running this as a league starter in SSF HC. After a few bad starts of me not reading the patch notes and immediately dying to Vaal Oversoul and stuff, I managed to get the build going and I'm now doing maps looking for trial portals.

To make this build more HC viable, I had to make one big adjustment which then might cascade into a lot of other adjustments. The biggest HC problem I had with this build was the lack of sustain. While using flasks and the Vitality aura was pretty alright during leveling, I don't think I would've survived in maps with just that.

So, I picked the Chieftain ascendancy instead of the Inquisitor one. While Chieftain doesn't increase damage by a lot, the 1% life leech for damage dealt by totems is very significant. It's practically a discount overleech since the totems hit so often.

Last time, overconfidence and getting stunlocked caused my death. I wanted to solve that problem by taking the Juggernaut ascendancy instead, but I had to take Chieftain instead. So I'm planning to take the Unwavering Stance keystone somehow. I'm not yet sure whether it will come by taking the Path of the Marauder instead of the Ranger though. Probably, since that will make evasion worthless and there are a lot of armor/life nodes near Marauder instead? I dunno, I'll let you know how it goes if I complete the last lab before dying.

I've also got a few questions about the build. Is Assassin's Mark really the best choice for an offensive aura? Right now I have to run Purity of the Elements because I don't have enough resistances, but I'm wondering for later. On-kill effects don't work with totems so it doesn't give any power charges or life, does it?

I'm pretty sure that Inspiration Support works for this build? It kind of sounds like it shouldn't, but you gain inspiration charges whenever you use a totem. And since they're dirt cheap and quick to cast the uptime is basically 100%. I haven't done any proper testing, but at least the in-game damage number goes up with inspiration charges.

Your passive tree explanation also mentions the three phasing nodes. Is this just a relic from the earlier version? The nodes aren't very good when you don't get phasing from totem kills...
Hey hopala!

Thanks for the HC feedback! Lots of HC people ask how these builds fare (I don't play HC) so it's posts like these that help me give accurate feedback in return. Good post!

You can use any auras you like. I liked the ones I chose because it increases crit chance, which is where most of the build's damage comes from. The curse aura is essentially just bonus damage to enemies that are close by. Feel free to change it to anything you like. But it's selected for the Crit Chance, not the rest of the perks.

Inspiration Support should work, ya. Perfect fit into the build. It was hard to choose between that and attack speed (Cause the ballistas are so slow). I was going to be trying it out a bit and see which I preferred for 3.10 once my build was setup. Good call. You know your game well.

Regarding phasing, that is my mistake. You are correct, it's a relic. I must have overlooked it while editing the guide to the current version. I'll edit it now. Thanks for mentioning it.

Great post! Thanks for the feedback and great questions! Let me know how it goes for you!

Annnnnd

"
I've heard that, in general, some people are simply skipping Metamorph because it's just too hard for a first playthrough. That's obviously not the case with every player though ;).

How are map bosses? They are typically a good judge of damage output.

I remember playing the Syndicate league. Those interactions were nerfed about 5 times in the first month until people could actually handle them. This is the first league with the new enemy defensive system. At the same time, they added bosses with random modifiers on them. So I'd expect them to do a thorough overview of community feedback shortly. (Hopefully, it's not the build. But if it is, they will have to be changed that I make for 3.10.)

I'll keep you posted as I get to endgame and deal with some of them as well.

Sorry it wasn't an enlightening post.

Hey Wrecker :)

I've gotten stomped by a few Metamorphs but generally I've found them doable if I'm willing to run around in circles dropping a ballista every few seconds. I've found standing in one place to be very risky with those, but maybe I'm just bad at the game XD

Map bosses have been alright. I actually think the Metamorphs since hitting Maps have been harder than the Map bosses themselves, which is kind of funny.

Bosses while leveling didn't seem ultra difficult for me even after the buffs, but I think their HP was buffed a little too much. The increased damage has seemed alright, but I also lucked into a crazy good weapon very early on and it's entirely possible I'd be saying differently if that were not the case, so I don't want to rush to judgment there. I can appreciate the devs not wanting bosses to be punching bags, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are some minor adjustments in the coming weeks.

I should have probably phrased my question differently instead of directing it to you specifically. I'm sorry about that! I'm open to advice from anyone regarding boss/metamorph kill speed/strategy.
Let me just say I love this build.

But, I am making a new necromancer because this builds damage is just way to low. My friends lvl 70 character trashes a tier 5 metamorph in seconds while this build (lvl 85), takes around 20 to 30 seconds which is just way to low. I don't see a way of killig anything in higher maps.

I got all the dmg nodes in tree, the tempest bow... The only way to make this build viable would be to at least triple the dmg somehow, but I don't know. Am I missing something or is it better to just make a necromancer for farming and then use money to at least make it a little more viable?
Follow up question: Is Blood Rage worth using, or is it too dangerous with Totems?

You mentioned in your guide that with Totems it may not be worth it. I'll admit to not fully understanding the relationship between Leech and Totems, but these are the conclusions I'm coming to after some Google-fu plus my own experience.

-Based on what I've found online, a Totem that causes Leech will heal the Totem, not the player character.
-Blood Frenzy Leeches physical damage, and Elemental Hit does no physical damage, nullifying the Leech aspect of Blood Frenzy.
-We get exactly one Leech node on the passive tree that gives us 0.4% Leech, but if the Totems (Ballistas) get the effect of the Leech, this will have no impact on the character.

If someone could set me straight if I am misinterpreting any of this, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I'm an utter noob regarding Totem mechanics.

I'm using three Life Flasks of Staunching and when I noticed they were having zero effect on my health loss I realized it must be caused by Blood Rage. I'm not sure why it took me until level 78 to make this connection but the degen is absolutely brutal for me and I don't know how to overcome it.

I'm going to try removing Blood Rage and running a few Maps to see if it feels any better.
"
pigi98 wrote:
Let me just say I love this build.

But, I am making a new necromancer because this builds damage is just way to low. My friends lvl 70 character trashes a tier 5 metamorph in seconds while this build (lvl 85), takes around 20 to 30 seconds which is just way to low. I don't see a way of killig anything in higher maps.

I got all the dmg nodes in tree, the tempest bow... The only way to make this build viable would be to at least triple the dmg somehow, but I don't know. Am I missing something or is it better to just make a necromancer for farming and then use money to at least make it a little more viable?
Hey pigi98!

I'm glad you like it! Make any build you like. Don't feel like you need to play anything. Just have fun! I won't compare a minion build anything else though. They just got buffed last league and aren't dependant on gear. That being said, EH got hit hard with a nerf this league.

Last league, while attacking with EH on our own, we were clearing maps no problem. This league, with 4+ ballista setup, EH is supposed to do more single target damage. Any attack skill is heavily dependant on gear though. The Tempest Bow is more of a levelling weapon than it is end game. It's likely the reason you don't feel strong against bosses. If you found a weapon that increased Elemental Damage and had increased Crit Chance and Damage you'd be flying. Elemental Damage, Attack Speed, and Crits mods can be added/found to various gear too. There's lots of gear out there that's much more beneficial to the build than you currently have equipped. And that's ok! That's part of the game...grinding for gear. Also, being fully ascended is a big help. A lot of our damage comes from our Ascendancy nodes.

Anyway, don't feel like you have to play it though. I have yet to reach endgame with this ballista version of the build. So all my talk is just based on what it looks like on paper.

Thanks for the honest post!

Annnnnd

Last edited by Wrecker_of_Days on Dec 19, 2019, 9:33:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info