Barrage support: is the penalty too large ?

Hello, friendly number cruncher here.

Newe barrage support gem gives at lvl 20: +3 projectiles fired in sequence, at 38% damage efficiency, with slightly longer total attack time.

If you fire one projectile before barrage and assuming every projectile hits, you get:
-: 4 projectiles (x4 multiplier)
-: 38% damage efficiency (x0.38 multiplier)
-: 20% more attack time (x0.83 multiplier)
Final dps multiplier: x1.26

That's a gain, but not an amazing one by any stretch. Still it's fine if you use another stacking mechanics (fuse giving AoE for EA, or poison duration for an assassin for example).

If you fire two projectiles before barrage support:
-: 5 projectiles (x2.5 multiplier)
-: 38% efficiency
-: 25% more attack time (x0.8 mult)
Final dps multiplier: x0.76

Yikes. That's a hefty loss. And considering it's pretty easy to get additionnal arrows nowadays, probably very meaningful.
Mind you, if you only consider single target, you should consider the initial multiplier to be x5, because only one arrow would hit the boss if you didn't have barrage (barring chaining/returning mechanics). Final multiplier in that case: x1.52

Let's go for 4 projectiles before barrage support now (because that's what I was theorycrafting):
Case 1: multi-target
-: 7 projectiles (x1.75 mult)
-: 0.38
-: 35% more attack time (x0.74 mult)
Final dps: x0.49

Case 2: single target:
same numbers but 7 projectiles is x7 multiplier.
Final dps: x1.97

Conclusion: Barrage support gem is HORRIBLE for AoE, even with the craziest effects you can think of (EA, poison, whatever). If you are in a situation where you can shoot 2 mobs at the same time instead of one, there are probably way better alternatives.
For single target however, barrage gets better the more original arrows you have. So feel free to use your fancy quivers / bows.

TLDR: no the penalty is not too large. But barrage is really really bad for most "normal" situations. It's not to take lightly as an all purpose support.
Last bumped on Dec 13, 2019, 2:07:16 AM
First of all, I'm bad with numbers.....now, isn't barrage supposed to be a single target thing?

So, for single target, how good does it get?
Time will tell. I'm kind of glad it's not glaringly over powered.
good thing the AoE on explosive arrow scales with the # of arrows in my main target.

im ready for some BOOMS
"
Thror2k5 wrote:
good thing the AoE on explosive arrow scales with the # of arrows in my main target.

im ready for some BOOMS

If in doubt, Vaal Burning Arrow Nova from orbit.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
"
lupasvasile wrote:
First of all, I'm bad with numbers.....now, isn't barrage supposed to be a single target thing?

So, for single target, how good does it get?

If you fire only one arrow with your skill, it's a 26% more damage.
The more "base" arrows you have, the better it gets.
For example, with +2 arrows from bow and +1 from quiver, it becomes a 96% more damage

Assuming every arrow hits, which is not a given at range :)

"

im ready for some BOOMS

Me too, but I assure you that for general purpose, lmp, gmp and volleys will be way better.

Or barrage is acceptable is you only shoot one arrow as a baseline... But are you even trying at this point ? :D
The numbers look miserably bad.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Nah the numbers are made for + arrows, if the numbers weren't made for + arrows then when you actually had + arrows the dps would be absolutely retarded.

Its probably about right atm, you might use it without any additionals for charge purposes or consistency etc but it becomes more desirable the better your gear is essentially.
remember, deadeye and scion can get a +1 projectile ascendancy
Barrage Support is specifically intended for single-target purposes. it takes a generic skill and turns it into something intended to focus hard on hammering one guy repeatedly.

The thing everybody's talking about is Power Siphon, which adds +8 projectiles at relatively obtainable level 21. In conjunction with Barrage, that's +11 shots, all of which can hit the same target. You'll be standing there shooting for a week, but if you can tolerate that attack time it's hard to beat pounding a boss with twelve strikes in the space of two normal attacks, even if each strike does a bit less than forty percent of the normal damage. 55% more attack time sounds absolutely awful, until you remember that your attack time goes from .2s to .3s when you add Barrage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info