[3.9] Wip - Crit Staff Glacial Hammer Inquisitor, great beginner build, great for Ps4/XBox.

The Build

Work in Progress disclaimer:
I sadly won't have much time to play this league and pretty much no time at all until December, 20th but I wanted to get this guide out for anyone looking for an uncomplicated but effective off meta build. Until this guide has some actual meat on it, here's a preliminary PoB (at least it has leveling trees): https://pastebin.com/7eyjhJWX and you can look at my Blight character tk_EisAmStiel on my console account: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/sony/view-profile/trollkind1/characters

Tldr: Crit and Staves are good, Crit and Cold are good, let's put this together and add enemy resistance ignoring from the Inquisitor Ascendancy for smooth obliterating of Rares and Bosses, automatic Charge generation, some tankiness, Winter Burial jewels to turn Glacial Hammer into a clearing skill and you got a build that feels great and just works without any investment or rare stuff.

FAQ
FAQ
Who am I?
Hi, I'm Simon aka trollkind. I play PoE since closed Beta, never missed a league but also never got really far into endgame as I'm an altoholic and spread myself too thin across too many games and other interests and I'm one of the slowest players alive I guess. I love to make my own builds though and most turn out at least "viable" especially in this power creep.

Who is this build for?
If you're new to the game and don't want to instantly get spoiled by an all content trivializing meta build, if you are looking for a build that requires little special gear and doesn't have some complicated mechanics that only start to come together after acquiring a bunch of expensive and rare items. You can easily level as this and it will slowly grow mechanically and in Power. It's designed to not have any roadblocks and should be able to do all content. I did my first deathless Mastermind and deathless Atziri with it (filthy casual, I know). It has great crowd control and a crunchy impactful feeling.

Who is this build NOT for?
The zoom zoom veterans that scoff at any build that doesn't dish out 2+ Shapers/second DPS and clears two screens per click.

So this is a zero DPS build?
Not at all. It can do 1mil+ on Shaper with Buff Flasks, some Shock from your Totems, the two totems themselves, the optional Bonechill from an Arctic Breath totem. For serious focused single target. Unfortunately I only got to Tier 9 maps but the bosses still felt like T1 bosses as I finally just got a 5L and 6L should do the same with red maps. Rares die in 1-4 hits, bosses in 3-5 while they are frozen. It certainly didn't feel like low DPS but depending on your experience with op builds, it might.

Hardcore?
Probably. The freezing works out as a great defensive tool and my only deaths in Blight were to insanely stacked projectiles from Blight lanes while my game was at 1 fps. You should know what to do though, basic rules of movement and engaging enemies safely. You totems also help a lot and you can have some more anti lag/dc defense with reactionary attacks.

SSF? you said this build wouldn't need any rare gear.
Well, unfortunately it really needs the Winter Burial jewels and Hegemony's Era is such a perfect early endgame item that I wouldn't recommend it for SSF. Should you find one Winter Burial jewel, you might try it though. Just craft your own Warstaff for mapping and use Hrim gloves or annoint Winter Spirit later on. You can somewhat target farm unique staves but there are so many unique jewels that chances are very slim that you will find a second Winter Burial.
... is not a troll
Last edited by trollkind on Dec 12, 2019, 5:50:02 AM
Last bumped on Dec 12, 2019, 4:28:13 AM
Leveling
(sorry, I probably won't have much time to expand this but I'll level one for practice after christmas and write the guide along)

Your first 19 points should go here.

Act I:
-Use any 2h Mace, Staff or even a scepter if you find a good one but the 1h animations are slow with very little coverage. Staff is ideal as it hits the most enemies but early staffs will probably not have good melee rolls. Don't try to craft them.
-Enemy at the Gate: Smite is a very decent elemental attack leveling skill. You might want to use that until you can socket your first Winter Burial jewel.
-Mercy Mission: Get the Ancestral Call gem and support Glacial Hammer/Smite. Go back to Nessa and buy a Ruthless Support. Use that if you have 3 red linked sockets, otherwise level it for now. If you have a green link, you could also get an Onslaught for some speed boost on kill but don't level it too far since we won't have much Dexterity.
-Breaking some Eggs: Get the totem gem Ancestral Protector and let it tank for you and kill stragglers. As your second gem reward you can use Frostblink for a thematically fitting movement spell but we will soon get Leap Slam and use that for the rest of the game since it has no cooldown, stuns and gets pretty fast eventually. You could get a Frost Bomb gem from Nessa to help debuff tough bosses/metamorphs but it's an extra button to press and we will ignore resists at some point and it only helps with Cold damage. You could also get a War Banner gem since it buffs accuracy and the physical portion of our damage for a small mana reservation.
-As soon as you get an ok weapon, just hit a group of enemies once, what dies, dies. Don't try to full clear zones or you'll be frustrated with melee. Later on with 100% hit and almost 100% crit, everything will vanish into ice shards with one hit, don't worry about it feeling clunky right now.
-The Prison: Get the Added Fire Damage gem. We won't use it for long but it's at least scaling elemental weapon damage.
-The Caged Brute: it's Leap Slam time! Will feel somewhat slow for now. Link a Faster Attacks to it once you get it in Act II.
-Save up Essences of Hatred and Contempt to use on white/normal Warstaves. The first one is Iron Staff and can drop from the Ship Graveyard zone onwards (highest item drop level is zone level +2 from rare and unique enemies). If your weapon is falling behind on DPS and you find a Warstaff base, use 4 Blacksmith's Whetstones for 20% quality and use an essence (or Orb of Alchemy if you're desperate or rich) to make it rare. Good luck!
-The Siren's Cadence: None of the free gems are useful for us.

Act II:
-Choose to help Alira to make mana a non issue. Crit Multi and the resistances will also help of course. If you already have a fantastic jewel, you might go for the passives instead but you could always respec later if you get one.
-Intruders in Black: I'd go for Herald of Purity for the Phys damage and minions that help with stragglers and distracting monsters are a nice bonus. Herald of Ice sounds fitting but you don't scale pure cold damage enough to make the explosions worthwhile and as soon as you slot in a Winter Burial, everything explodes into ice shards anyway.
-Sharp and Cruel: Pick Elemental Damage with Attacks and also get a Melee Physical Damage gem from Yeena. These of course should be linked to your main attack if possible. Your totem is a good spot to support if you don't have enough links for your main skill.
-Other gems to consider are Physical to Lightning which I use with the totem to get occasional shocks, since the totem doesn't get your cold conversion but your great crit stats and elemental scaling. Faster Attacks and Endurance Charge on Stun for your Leap Slam. This will smooth out Endurance Charge generation/conservation especially if linked with the Vengeance retaliation attack in early Act III.

If you have a Winter Burial jewel ready, get the jewel slot just north from the intelligence side, otherwise fill out the staff wheel except the two northernmost small nodes and keep looking for a Winter Burial in the Trade Market on consoles or on https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Metamorph/aBZpSe. Just get twoif available and go for the second jewel slot early. If no jewels are available just advance towards the next leveling tree. If it's not the league start anymore you might as well look for 14-15% Cold Damage and/or a nice corrupted implicit. Just be aware that a corrupted implicit will raise the minimum level requirement.

Next leveling tree until after the first Labyrinth

Act III:
-Lost in Love: You won't use any of the gem rewards long term but Frostbite can help with highly resistant or healthy enemies for now. You can buy a Vengeance gem from Clarissa now though. This counterattack can keep you safe on a disconnect and generate some Endurance Charges for you with the Endurance Charge on Stun Support.
... is not a troll
Last edited by trollkind on Jan 14, 2020, 5:41:10 PM
endgame
... is not a troll

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info