Have a look at a Metamorph-specific unique ring!

"
Ashriel wrote:
Special support effects can do that and do exist elsewhere in the game though.
No, they do not.

Tags are fundamentally not changable. They have never been changable.

Support effects can change which other supports apply. That has nothing to do with tags, and never has. Tags do not and never have determined supportability.

Melee Splash adds an area of effect to strike skills which didn't have one.
This does allows those skills to be supported by support that require an area off effect.
It does not grant those skills the Area tag.
They do not start getting affected by modifiers that say "Area Skills..." because they do not gain the tag, and are not considered Area Skills.
Supports completely ignore tags and only look at whether the skill has an actual area, taking other supports into account.
Effects referring to "[tag] skills" always ignore what the skill does and only look for the tag. They are not the same thing. This new one is the latter.

Tags are not supportability, supportability is not tags.

"
Ashriel wrote:
And of course Discharge is a great example of a Nova, yes, but is lacking a Nova tag, since that hasn't existed (and does not currently exist, today). So you "honestly" are being disengenuous for no good reason and you know it.
I am not being disingenuous. I am explaining the actual mechanics by which the game works, as they pertain to this new item.

"
Ashriel wrote:
The fact remains you are changing Sire of Shards because... what, you are not wanting to code it?
We are not changing Sire of Shards in any mechanical way. Sire of Shards will function in exactly the same way it always has. We have changed a description to remove possible confusion due to using the same word for two different things.

"
Ashriel wrote:
Also, yes, I saw a similar answer about a year ago on reddit. Yet if this were true Death's Oath would not work with Arcane Surge but was still suddenly discovered to do so one day and has ever since.
Then you still do not understand the answer. Death's Oath does not have a Duration tag. It cannot be given a duration tag. Arcane Surge can support it, and this gives the skill an effect with a duration. It does not give it the duration tag, and has never done so.
Having an effect with a duration means that other supports that only support skills with a duration will be able to apply. This still has nothing to do with tags.
There are currently no stats that say "Duration Skills have..." in PoE, but if there were, they would not apply to Death's Oath in this situation, because while it gained an effect with a duration (which is what supports care about), it did not gain a tag (which is what stats that identify skills by their tags care about).

These rules have been this way since we first added tags to PoE. Supportability has never cared about tags. Effects which look for tags on skills have never cared about supportability.
"
korn7809 wrote:
Why would RF not work? burning a set area with a consistent nova?
Ongoing effects attached to you are not Novas. We didn't want to (and mechanically can't) make all the auras be novas, and it would feel weird to do so. Novas have to be specifically targeting the location where you are, not you yourself - so Shock Ground is a nova with an ongoing effect, but an aura is not.

"
korn7809 wrote:
Also Molten Shell?
This might be able to be looked at in future, but it can't interact with this modifier anyway, since the skill itself targets you and puts a buff on you. The explosion that happens around you is later, and isn't caused directly by you casting it, so there's no way to target it anywhere.
"
Ashriel wrote:
call them out for explicitly disallowing the interaction of this item with Sire of Shards
That did not happen. For the reasons I have already explained, what Sire of Shards does cannot make a be a nova skill and thus work with this.

We did not explicitly disallow this. It just natually didn't work, and we would have had to do a lot more work to explicitly allow that interaction - the item would have had to be worded differently (something along the lines of "Nova Spells and Spells that fire Projectiles in a Nova...", which is longer and confusing), the amount of implementation work would have been significantly bigger, there would have been tricky balance questions, and it was outside the scope of what the item was for from a design standpoint - part of the design behind the item would have been less well served by adding that extra case, for reasons I can't get into yet because they relate to other stuff we haven't announced.

The rewording of "prjectile nova" in stat descriptions was a side thing that took less than 5 minutes. We needed a tag on Nova skills for the item to work, and no-one could come up with anything that really fit other than using "Nova". So we reworded things that were using that word for a different mechanic.
"
DeadManWalkin wrote:

Wait, what?
I am responding to the statement as a whole, not jsut the first part of it. Arcane Sruge does apply to Death's Oath, and this affects which other supports can apply.
It does not do this by adding a hidden Duration tag
"
aggromagnet wrote:
Arcane Surge basically just adds a duration component to the skill, rather than adding a hidden tag, which other compatible supports can then make use of. Pretty sure the tags we see are largely just informational so we know what can work with what at a core level. I don't think the visual tags themselves explicitly allow/disallow interactions.
For anything relating to supporting, this is correct.

However, modifiers like this one explicitly identify skills by their tags, and so these are influenced by tags. This is why supports not actually changing the tags of skills is relevant.
"
BDtetra wrote:
Would Holy Relic's Nova technically work on this(basically asking if it monster skills are tagged as "Nova" as well) if it could somehow be able to share the player's rings? I know it won't work in this case because of the fact that you specifically didn't mention it.
In theory it should and could be, but I suspect no-one had time to code the interaction into skills which can never possibly benefit from it, and we'll address that if we ever make a way for minions to get your ring stats.

That doesn't extend to all monster skills, some monster skills are made in ways where they're pieced together from generic parts, which as a result can't have detailed tags set because the same skills are used for all kinds of things.

"
Ilhane wrote:
Would Abberath's fury from Abberath's hooves work with this ring? I guess not, but would be fun if it does
This one could have gone either way (technically centered on where you step, rather than your cahracter's position, but difference is very slight), but the call came in as no. If it were it wouldn't change anything anyway, because triggered skills are targeted at the location of the trigger event, which in this case would be your footstep - so it would still happen in the same place, giving it the tag would really only have meant it got the penalty for no benefit. This might be re-addressed if we add more stats which utilise the new tag.

"
DarthSki44 wrote:
I'm sure Mark put on his pants one leg at a time this morning just like the rest of us.
You guys are wearing pants?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info