[3.17] Wallach's Hierophant Freezing Pulse Totems (No Further Updates)

"

I finally made this baby and thinking about a totem build together with Eternity Shroud. Would that be any useful idea?

Eternity Shroud is only 5% extra chaos damage.

Soul Mantle + Self-Flagellation is 20% Damage x 13 curses for 260%

Pretty sure 260% would beat 50% extra chaos damage lmao.

Even if it didn't it would be aids to get all your slots Shaper and still do good dps.
Just started playing PoE casually around December, and this is the first build I've gotten close to end-game capable - really been enjoying it. I've been trying to follow the advice in the guide, but I could use some help figuring out if there are any relatively inexpensive upgrades I should consider before just saving up the ~20exa for Atziri's Reflection. I've got about 8exa saved up currently. The character is Selbu - https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Selbus/characters

Thanks!
"
Selbus wrote:
Just started playing PoE casually around December, and this is the first build I've gotten close to end-game capable - really been enjoying it. I've been trying to follow the advice in the guide, but I could use some help figuring out if there are any relatively inexpensive upgrades I should consider before just saving up the ~20exa for Atziri's Reflection. I've got about 8exa saved up currently. The character is Selbu - https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Selbus/characters

Thanks!

I think if I considered upgrading anything it'd probably be your weapon setup. You're currently in a wand / shield setup but your shield doesn't have +1 to maximum totems, so you're missing a fair chunk of damage as the main benefit of a shield compared to a second wand is that affix. Your main hand wand isn't terrible but it is mainly just T1 spell damage and crafted cast speed, so there's plenty of room for upgrade there too. I'd consider getting a pair of solid wands in the 1ex range to carry your damage until you get to Atziri's Reflection.

If you check out either of my "endgame gearing options" videos I give some advice on weapon shopping in the weapon sections of those videos that can help make it easier to find solid weapons on the trade site.
Advice straight from the expert - thanks Wallach! I'll take a look at the vid for the wand advice. Cheers!
Hey Wallach!

Thank you for the detailed guides my friend, I love the layout you have with your guides and really enjoy the supplement in the form of YouTube videos.

3.10 was my first league, I primarily ran BL mines and found your guides looking to make an end of league push to try out the totem playstyle while I could afford a bit of gear. I've seen a huge spike in power going up the ascendancy and gearing with items like Soul Mantle / +1 totems shield that give us more totems, and it is a nice break on my wrists as it feels very similar to mines without the detonate step. I have a couple of questions here while thinking ahead to next league:

1) I am a big fan of low life builds, is there any reasonable way to run this build / Heiro in a LL setup? My POE experience with the tree and all is very limited, so I might just be stuck on the Shadow area of the tree and the lack of life nodes that class has. I don't think it would make sense for league start, but maybe something that could be done with a bunch of regret orbs and the right gear later on.

2) Lack of mana reservation/auras - is this mainly due to the use of MoM, and the fact that reserving more mana would break down our EHP/defensive setup?

3) I am not familiar with life based builds, but I love the feeling of boosting HP / ES as much as possible. I hope to formulate this build/gear in such a way that life can be maximized, and I'm curious if via the use of MoM we are making equally considerable improvements by pushing the mana pool along with life? (for example, gear with high +int that may have less +life still being a good upgrade?)

4) I struggled with the decision on main skill to run after deciding I would try totems. Do you have maybe a quick thought on pros/cons between skills such as Freezing Pulse, Holy Flame, and into others like Shockwave totem? I can't lie I would very much love to get to use some sick totem MTX but in my research FP just felt like the way to go, and seeing the many projectiles from five totems is awesome!!

That turned into quite a bit, so if you end up taking the time to run through this I greatly appreciate it! I am thinking the totem setup may be a stronger league start for me as someone who enjoys that playstyle, and hopefully I'll get to the point I can really push some currency into it. I've found that one of the major aspects of POE that I enjoy is making all the little min/max tweaks, hunting for gear, reviewing a few nodes on the tree, and so on. I have had much more enjoyment putting a ton of time into one or two characters rather than a whole bunch of different builds/chars that I am not as deep into.

Thanks!

"
tnich55 wrote:
Hey Wallach!

Thank you for the detailed guides my friend, I love the layout you have with your guides and really enjoy the supplement in the form of YouTube videos.

3.10 was my first league, I primarily ran BL mines and found your guides looking to make an end of league push to try out the totem playstyle while I could afford a bit of gear. I've seen a huge spike in power going up the ascendancy and gearing with items like Soul Mantle / +1 totems shield that give us more totems, and it is a nice break on my wrists as it feels very similar to mines without the detonate step. I have a couple of questions here while thinking ahead to next league:

1) I am a big fan of low life builds, is there any reasonable way to run this build / Heiro in a LL setup? My POE experience with the tree and all is very limited, so I might just be stuck on the Shadow area of the tree and the lack of life nodes that class has. I don't think it would make sense for league start, but maybe something that could be done with a bunch of regret orbs and the right gear later on.

2) Lack of mana reservation/auras - is this mainly due to the use of MoM, and the fact that reserving more mana would break down our EHP/defensive setup?

3) I am not familiar with life based builds, but I love the feeling of boosting HP / ES as much as possible. I hope to formulate this build/gear in such a way that life can be maximized, and I'm curious if via the use of MoM we are making equally considerable improvements by pushing the mana pool along with life? (for example, gear with high +int that may have less +life still being a good upgrade?)

4) I struggled with the decision on main skill to run after deciding I would try totems. Do you have maybe a quick thought on pros/cons between skills such as Freezing Pulse, Holy Flame, and into others like Shockwave totem? I can't lie I would very much love to get to use some sick totem MTX but in my research FP just felt like the way to go, and seeing the many projectiles from five totems is awesome!!

That turned into quite a bit, so if you end up taking the time to run through this I greatly appreciate it! I am thinking the totem setup may be a stronger league start for me as someone who enjoys that playstyle, and hopefully I'll get to the point I can really push some currency into it. I've found that one of the major aspects of POE that I enjoy is making all the little min/max tweaks, hunting for gear, reviewing a few nodes on the tree, and so on. I have had much more enjoyment putting a ton of time into one or two characters rather than a whole bunch of different builds/chars that I am not as deep into.

Thanks!

Hi, and thanks for the kind words, I've put a lot of work into making the guide as useful as I can.

As to your questions:

1) We technically do operate this build in the "low life" state in the higher end of gearing once we utilize the Coward's Legacy belt. This is a significant investment step because it requires you to switch into an Atziri's Reflection shield, which is generally around 18-20ex nearer league start and then starts to drop down as the league progresses. The main reason in this build that we would have a hard time utilizing a more standard low life setup is because of the opportunity cost of the chest piece; we'd typically need to be in a Shavronne's Wrappings chest to do that, and losing the Soul Mantle is an enormous cost for any build that is building around a Spell Totem Support link. So just equipping a Shavronne's Wrappings costs you an entire damage support link (so you can fit a real Spell Totem Support in the links), +1 to maximum totems, and you lose the self-curse ability to leverage Self-Flagellation. All put together it's a massive amount of damage you have to make up, especially when we can access something like Pain Attunement via Coward's Legacy and not give up that chest piece. It might, however, be something more worth exploring if you were using a totem that doesn't need a Spell Totem Support link, such as Holy Flame Totem or Shockwave Totem w/ Astral Projector.

2) It is largely about being able to leverage our mana pool for Mind Over Matter, yes.

3) The opportunity cost of life vs mana still is generally going to favor life (purely in eHP terms) as even with the Hierophant more damage is going to be sent to our life pool than our mana pool. Mana is only capable of increasing your eHP when you would not have sufficient mana to protect your entire life pool from a single large hit; for example if I had 4,000 life and 4,000 mana with a 40% Mind Over Matter split, I can't get any more eHP from adding mana since my life pool would hit 0 before my mana would. The only risk of continuing to prioritize life over mana is that if your mana pool is significantly lower and is not protecting your full life pool, you may encounter cases where a very large hit leaves you at extremely low life (say 250-500) but literally consumes your entire mana pool, and you are at risk of being mana-blocked from using your movement skill before your regeneration can answer. This is generally only a practical risk when you are failing to protect a significant amount of your life pool, which is why I prefer to keep the balance and aim for mana pools that are just hitting that 100% protection mark.

4) I think the main consideration in this context - as mentioned above in point 1 - is whether you are going to utilize Spell Totem Support or a "standalone" totem skill like Holy Flame Totem. Most Spell Totem builds are going to be relatively similar in terms of tree and gear considerations, whereas things can be quite different if you aren't beholden to that support (and thus generally a Soul Mantle chest piece). Holy Flame Totem's main advantages in my opinion are that it really doesn't have any "required" uniques, making it a very good SSF option, while still having good damage scaling routes due to it being an inherent physical-to-fire spell and the base gem generally being pretty good. Shockwave Totem is almost the opposite in that I'm not sure it's really worth considering without an Astral Projector ring, though it too has some interesting scaling options if you commit to it.
hey there, thx for very detailed guide, its a good source of info for someone newish like me.

question:

i'm going to use this as my hardcore Harvest league starter, and i was thinking of ways to make it tankier, was wondering if you had any input? here's what i've got:

1.) use wand/mace + shield for shield charge+fortify set up
2.) self cast vaal molten shell (use granite flask + armour base gear, maybe we can get a 5-10k~ shield?) not sure about this one, seems hard to make work and not worth it.
3.) cwdt+steelskin set up (high level) if i dont go Vaal Molten Shell
4.) MoM
5.) Maybe go for Acro/PA? seems pretty far out of the way though
6.) Scion life wheel. I feel like this is a must for HC.

anything else you can think of? or anyone else that sees this?

i dont want to drop too much damage though. i know all the spell crit stuff is too valuable, but what about these mana nodes and stuff by witch? and left side of the tree near templar, the arcane surge nodes? Id probably drop all of this to get scion life wheel at least.
Latest crafterinos:

Changed rings as well. I found zealotry to not be as useful, and since i dont have cash to buy 2/3 x same aura eye, i went with this setup:

Still, it really annoys me, how squishy this build is, and since even when i invested hard in hp, I didnt felt much diff i stopped in the middle between hp & dps.

Even tho clear speed is nice & stuff, i do feel flame totem could be stronger, and have alot more survivality, and because of that - i plan to go as one in harvest. Propably as cheiftain, since hes skills are just made to be one.

So, Wallah, are you planning to make guide for Flaame Totem? And will be it as detailed, or even more than this one? Also - if youd have to play totem, whitch one ud go as next league?

Survivality, and poe bugs (like immortal bosses cause freez) is the only real thing, that pissed me off in this build, altho it did really made me mad sometimes.

ps. Is there any perma totem player, who makes guides & stuff? All i found was some bs, and I really like totems.

ps. Totem placement speed - any of you guys use it at all? Thought adding it into amu, but im not sure if its worth.
Don't mean to burst your bubble but I'm not sure how useful the +1 to mim Power Charges is on the amulet. This build generates power charges very easily just by placing totems so it's not clear to me why having a permanent power charge is helpful. I think +1 to min Frenzy Charges would be a better choice.

On the gloves...I don't think you are getting the benefit on the implicit mod as Freezing Pulse is not an attack but a spell...In my opinion, the best base to craft on for this build is Fingerless Silk Gloves since their implicit in Increased Spell Damage. Something like this.

Hi!

so I played this in 3.10 and got all the way through endgame but had a very tough time killing A8 Sirus or doing Wave 20 simulacrum against Kosis. Managed to clear everything else. It's really a strong build and the Mana + MoM gives such an easy fix for large amounts of eHP which was ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL in delirium league as everything was so profoundly rippy

My question is how can i upgrade my DPS further? I feel like i'm not nearly strong enough to successfully farm A8 sirus and i'm not sure where to spend my money. I want to try to do this build again in 3.11 but I don't want to run into this same problem of hitting a damage ceiling around 400k per totem (1.6 mil total) because that was simply not enough.

Where do you think I should focus my money for my next upgrade considering my gear and setup right now? Cluster jewels? A corrupted Soul Mantle? Better rings and boots so I can fit in a pandemonius somehow?

cheers and thanks!

Character name NixDeliriumInquis https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Nixed/characters

Spoiler
My gear

or in PoB Community: https://pastebin.com/p0sNijiM

(No flasks and no Vaal RF)

Thanks so much for the build and i hope you have fun in 3.11

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info