Blight map minimum portal distance needed

This is really baffling.
They have to keep track of so many coordinates in order for the game to work, that it seems strange that a simple "While distance PumpPos,PortalPos < x delete Portal, create Portal" or something along those lines is not sufficient.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
The smaller blight map areas are NOT configured specifically with the blight path generation algorithm in mind. They're just a small section of the parent map type cropped out based on meeting one or two procedural needs: a large central area and at least two corridors leading in different directions.

Portal generation and tower stub generation is mostly at the mercy of the original tileset.

It also seems they already force portals to do double duty to cram in as many entities as possible. With a no-portal zone around the pump, this would force some portals to triple-duty. I'm guessing they don't want this for tactical reasons (it's too easy to control monster flow from a single tower if all the monsters are coming out of one particular portal).

What they needed to do:

Plan the pump and path generation first, with a ground zero no-portal zone large enough for a modicum of common sense. Yeah, sorry, the core mechanic has to have the first kick at the can here.

Then use an algorithm to build the map segment AROUND the calculated paths, widening or choking with blocking terrain until the desired difficulty is met.

Keep the waving fields of golden spore capsules to a minimum. These are blocking terrain, but I've seen blight maps with gaps and islands of normal walking terrain trapped behind vast swathes of mold capsules, places where monsters could pop up and be unreachable except by TS or chaining projectiles.

Either that or make the moldy bits totally passable by players and monsters, or remove it altogether as a failed experiment.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
"
sarannah101 wrote:
Agreed, but it really does not happen often luckily. Really really sucks when it does though. Especially when you were aiming for a hard to get challenge.

BOOM there goes the golden oil anointed t15 :)
Second-class poe gamer
This really grinds my gears.

Drop rates for these maps are pretty pathetic.
Not everyone makes great amounts of currency in a league, either due to RNG or time played.

So investing 80+ chaos to buy a map, can be a big investment for some people.
And yet, it can all be over so quick due to this coding issue.

Really bad form that GGG knew about it from the beginning, yet didn't take any steps to reduce the impact on players by increasing the drop rates so it wouldn't sting that much if the map is lost due to this bug.

Seriously, with the diminishing player count, running more blight maps wouldn't strain server resources anymore.
They have said that they have worked on the problem some weeks ago. Since then it's not fine but at least better. The portals can still spawn kinda close, but in most cases the mobs have to run a longer way in stead of walking the 3 ingame meters to the pump.

Besides that, they haven't mentioned this problem directly at the "what we are working on" but they said:
"
The changes mentioned above as well as a variety of small fixes will go live in future updates (some of them will possibly be deployed next week).

Still I agree with you that this really sucks, especially at high tier blight maps.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.
Nothing's better then a portal right next to the pump opening and throwing a boss at you that multiplies into smaller versions multiple time on death.

A guaranteed fail...
Last edited by MeridianNight on Oct 21, 2019, 3:37:38 PM
Won't happen. GGG stated that they abandoned Blight and are working on 3.9, so no more fixes for the absurd major issues we have:

- Portal beside or on top of pump;
- Monsters attacking players outside the lanes;
- Monsters ignoring lanes and going to pump;
- Physical bears can't be stopped/slowed and ignore players/towers/minions/etc;
- Blight ranged mobs firing 7667567568 projectiles at the same time from offscreen;
- Alched blight maps doesn't counting towards achievements;
- Blight map drop rates.

Move on and pray 3.9 will be like Legion.
"There's no thing like random one-shots in this game. You only die because you take 353,456,237 hits in 0.2 seconds."

"The best items in the game should not be crafted, they should be TRADED." - Cent, GGG
"
MeridianNight wrote:
throwing a boss at you that multiplies into smaller versions multiple time on death.

Some of the cheapest crap I've ever seen in this game, especially for this league lol whoever added that is a troll
"
metazunai wrote:
surely GGG could put in a minimum distance that portals need to be away from the pump as having them spawn so close makes it impossible to complete.

One would think that they would have started by doing something so freaking obvious indeed ... but for some reason, they have not.

I have no idea about the why, I can't imagine how a simple distance calculation could be problematic ( at some points in some cases the algorithm to place a new portal has troubles placing portals far enough from the pump and simulating a portal too many times - given it would be re-simulated if too close - would cause performances issues ? That's the only thing that I could come up with as an explanation ... ), but one thing is sure ....

It's still a thing :/.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Oct 22, 2019, 1:04:34 AM
"
Fruz wrote:
"
metazunai wrote:
surely GGG could put in a minimum distance that portals need to be away from the pump as having them spawn so close makes it impossible to complete.

One would think that they would have started by doing something so freaking obvious indeed ... but for some reason, they have not.

I have no idea about the why, I can't imagine how a simple distance calculation could be problematic ( at some points in some cases the algorithm to place a new portal has troubles placing portals far enough from the pump and simulating a portal too many times - given it would be re-simulated if too close - would cause performances issues ? That's the only thing that I could come up with as an explanation ... ), but one thing is sure ....

It's still a thing :/.

Oh cmon! But league already ended. GGG just havin fun patching random minor stuff, and feel relaxing retirement on their mountains of moneys! Anyway league is down on population. Why worry?

Unexpected league end happened.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info