Withering Step

Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Last bumped on Mar 22, 2024, 5:22:37 PM
This skill has tags Travel, Movement, Blink - but use of the skill doesn't move character at all. Instead, use of this skill puts on cooldown (or consumes charges of) real movement skills (like Flame Dash) and prevents them from being able to be used instantly. This is a big inconvenience of this skill, and, in my opinion, is incorrect - only real movement skills (which actually change location of character upon use) should apply temporary restrictions on other movement skills upon use.
retired from forum because of censorship and discrimination
some kind of visual bug appeard with the new patch - there's only 1 eye appearing properly in the skill efect, the other one is blacked out.
I only recently found out that the buff just turns off once we use another skill, which can also be a movement skill. I understand the intention of the skill being the way how it should be used for poison BV, but there needs to be a balance. As of now, only assassins could benefit it. Other classes are missing out on 20% spell dodge for free unless they use Nightblade. But Nightblade is for claws and daggers which are also on shadow part of the tree. There needs to be some middle-ground. The boots craft is expensive. The "elusive on kill" node, well, it only works on kill so it is useless when we need spell dodge most, against bosses.
Last edited by jeerinho on Nov 4, 2020, 3:33:24 AM
I think the idea of the skill is very cool very thematic fitting. But it does not feel very good to use...

I understand why it shares a cooldown with movement skills but it doesnt feel/play "right".

Maybe lower its effectiveness in favour of making the cooldown more forgiving? Or maybe making the cooldown triggered from another movement skill be a fraction of its normal cooldown? Maybe add a charge?
I was looking for wither sources besides the standard spell totem, and was excited to discover this ability - Only to realize what DivineChampion was saying, that using the skill would effectively bar me from using flame dash or frostblink, due to the blink tag.

I don't think it should count as a blink. Allowing people to trigger it without blocking their actual movement skill, will open up the uses a lot. Honestly, it would make more sense to group it with the guard skills instead, if anything.

It's not a particularly powerful wither source, compared with other options. Currently, it's mostly good for the elusive buff, which is insanely powerful to be fair.. But nobody wants to rely on temporary tank anyway.
I have incorporated this skill into my trapping build
I'm doing elusive effect stacking and have forbidden gems to give me Mistwalker (elusive on crit)

the function I'm using this skill is to drop and refresh elusive before it gets low an ineffective.

in my setup I'm doing this with Anomalous Void Sphere to proc my Mistwalker
previously (since i'm a trapper) I was trying to do it with a cast on damage taken setup, but since I'm evasion an avoidance based,
my setup is mostly squishy; I'm running determination and grace, but am doing a Wrath of the Cosmos Elder/Ichor farming strategy

in which nearly every hit will kill you anyway Lol.

The problems I'm having with Withered step is that I need a means to force move my character when I activate it.
I've opted to drop my cast on damage taken Guard Skill setup for Guard Skill on left click to get me enough gem slots.
I'm squeezed tightly on how I have my setup currently. in which I'm using

Divine Blessing Vitality; Assassin's Mark
Anomalous void Sphere (its fun and to proc elusive), Molten Shell, Righteous Fire
4 link exsanguinate setup
6 link seismic setup
grace hatred determ enlighten
Bear trap, Withering Step (to reset elusive & phasing), Herald of Purity and skiterbots

so the problem I have is when I need the Withering step for the Phasing (and really need it for defense) like if I just ran in and monsters spawned all around me from added packs or hitting my Pandemonium Sentinel

since I have Molten Shell on left click, I hit my Withering Step, Left click to move; Molten Shell goes off, and I lose the Withering Step and Phasing and die surrounded (doh!).
which is expected since I used a skill
but the problem is I am unable to move my character without using a skill and mapping another key to force move my character is having difficulty for me.
I've been wanting to force move with scroll wheel like I have in D3 but am unable to do so (it'd probably lead to disconnect from too many inputs).

I would like it if using Withered Step, also acted as a move command.
currently Withered step if you hold down the key does not move your character.
I'd like it if I were able to toggle the "Always Attack Without Moving" toggle for the skills; which in this case would just allow me to hold my Withering Step key and move around.

this would allow my build to avoid constantly having to avoid this trap in which I cannot move while having Withered Active without losing the effect.

TLDR:
please implement Withering Step an option so it can be used as a move command while pressed lacking a easy button for a move command is a limiting factor for my build atm.
Thanks, cool skill
This is a very cool skill that is rendered almost completely useless by the fact that it shares a cooldown with blink skills. Why does this share a cooldown when Phase Run does not? I play chaos-based Occultists that love wither, but I never can use this skill because of its horrible interaction with blink skills. I should be the exact character that loves it, but instead I use Phase Run like everyone else. Withering Step puts your blinks on cooldown twice! Once when you first activate it, and once when it wears off. Phase Run puts your blinks on cooldowns never. What's the deal? This isn't even a blink skill! Please just take the blink tag off so that I, literally its intended user, can actually use it.
I don't really agree with the changes to Withering Step, the interaction with other Elusive effects was one that i personally liked.
I can however see why you would want to change it since it's contributing to very large ammounts of some builds damage.
The change now was to make it not castable while already Elusive, if you didn't consider it already i would love your thoughts on making it castable while Elusive, just not giving new or replacing the old Elusive. It's a major source of wither for some builds, and others might just want the other parts of the spell, while they already are Elusive.
Withering Step needs to be changed, the last change completely ruined its use on Chaos DoT, either revert the change or let it activate without refreshing Elusive, can't even make a proper use of it to stack Withered Debuffs when used with Elusive on Crit.
Pff, who even plays Standard?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info