Useless Vendor Recipes

I think some these need updating, anyone agree?

Who in their right mind would trade a 6L for a divine orb? They are worth, much much more. Should give an exalt or 2.

Hybrid Flask, yeah life and mana fused together. It's cool and all and makes sense, but who will waste a fusing on a flask you can buy for a few id scrolls?

20% quality gem = 1 gcp? Should give you 5 or 6 considering it's worth.

I know the 2 chaos recipe was easy to exploit, but GGG nerfed it a bit too hard. Seems like too much cost and barely any reward. You can trade unid ilvl60 stuff for a few chaos, the armor and weapons I can understand if left unid. But I think passing up 3 unid pieces of jewelery + belt is a bit of a waste, they have huge potential there and worst case your going to end up with 2 chaos anyways selling all the stuff ID'd, so what's the point?

Jewelers orb = Fusing + Chromatic. Ummm, is this way of GGG trolling us? Lol, please explain the usefulness of this one. Might as well made a new recipe with this logic. Orb of alchemy = Chaos orb + alteration.

inb4: if u dont liek them dont use them!!!!

I'm just trying to understand why some are so useless.
IGN: Athulua
Some 6Ls seldom sell if ever because no skills exist yet to exploit these items, thus the vendor recipe compensates these people to some extent.

The GCP recipe follows the same rule as all other quality items. There's little reason to change how it works given the over-abundance of quality gems dropping end-game.
I would imagine the main purpose is to have a ground floor for what some item rolls are worth. For example, maybe you get a 6L plate vest with 14 armor. At least you can grab a divine for it instead of holding on to it forever thinking it might be worth something under the right circumstances.

Essentially none of the merchant currency exchange rates are good compared to trading -- it's just to set a base for which an item can't be valued less than. Or, if you're feeling lazy, a quick way to attain a certain currency.

With any of the currency exchanges/recipes, a premium item will always sell for much more to a player. In general these are just to get something for your junk loot. Economically, they are setting minimum prices/exchanges for certain items for the player trade economy to develop from.
IGN: Calico_
Last edited by Mirage447 on Mar 16, 2013, 2:05:58 AM
I think ALL the recipes that force you to have stuff with +20% quality (like the chaos/chance orb recipes, etc) are pointless.

I haven't seen a single 20% quality drop in my life, yet I would need a FULL SET of gear with that just to get 2 orbs of chances/chaos? Wtf?
"
gonzaw wrote:
I think ALL the recipes that force you to have stuff with +20% quality (like the chaos/chance orb recipes, etc) are pointless.

I haven't seen a single 20% quality drop in my life, yet I would need a FULL SET of gear with that just to get 2 orbs of chances/chaos? Wtf?
Whetstones and Armour Scraps are stupid easy to get with vendor formulas. It takes no time at all to stack these, and tossing a few stacks at some self-found gear to recipe it up isn't a problem.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
gonzaw wrote:

Whetstones and Armour Scraps are stupid easy to get with vendor formulas. It takes no time at all to stack these, and tossing a few stacks at some self-found gear to recipe it up isn't a problem.

I'm not talking about the "Gear should have total of 40% quality" recipes, I'm talking about the "Gear should have 20% quality each" ones.

Basically all of those are pointless, maybe 1 guy in a thousands uses one of those once in his PoE lifetime.
Well, maybe I'm talking more then I know, and in end-game +20% stuff drop like flies or something.
I'm almost in Merciless and haven't seen a single one though, so for now I'll assume that doesn't happen.
"
gonzaw wrote:
Well, maybe I'm talking more then I know, and in end-game +20% stuff drop like flies or something.
I'm almost in Merciless and haven't seen a single one though, so for now I'll assume that doesn't happen.

Well yes, to find rares with 20% quality takes ages. Still I used the recipe at least 5 times within a single week before it was nerfed. How? I kept "superior rare items" with 15% or more in a seperate tab and once I had a full set I used about 20 scraps and whetstones to upgrade their quality to 20%. The reward were 2 regal, which is a good deal imo for some unid low-lvl gear + 20 worthless orbs to turn into the value of 1 gcp...

Now after the nerf I just don´t bother with these recipes anyways, but there are enough topics on that.

OP:

Agreed. Some of the recipes are very... "useless" to say the least. Others, like the name-matching recipe are a fun timesink and side-tracking element. I really like those. They are like an element to keep players invested without having to press stuff in the game`s progress- and endgame-structure. More like an optional sidequest or "daily" works in many MMOs.

regards
Hold on to yer shite load o´ bloody barnacles on me arse-cockles, me hearty!

IGN: Trapsdrubel
"
Who in their right mind would trade a 6L for a divine orb? They are worth, much much more. Should give an exalt or 2.

I dont agree with this because its possible that a low level armor can roll with 6 link.

If you get a plate vest with 6 sockets its nice to get a devine.

The chaos recipe is fine as it is.

What I dont like is UNID recipes in general, I think they should be deleted. It just feels unrewarding and you feel like you miss something out.

Useless recipes are:

1, Fusing + Chrom ->jeweler
2, map quality to chisels
3, Orb of Augmentation (white + blue + rare of same base type)
4, Orb of Chance(former chaos recipe) needs a slight buff. 2-3 Chances would be fine
5, Hybrid flask recipe
6, Iron ring + skillgem -> normal resist ring(maybe useful with low level but recipes should stay useful over the whole game)

Actually pretty sad right now that I managed to name 6 completly useless recipes...
All the others are decent and have at least a niche function.
Heh, just some notes on certain recipes:

Orb of Fusing and Chromatic Orb = Jeweler's Orb is one of the first recipes added to the game. It was added far before you could buy the orbs from the vendor. In a stricht 1 player world it is useful to have a way of obtaining Jeweler's Orb if a 6S is your goal and you are desperate, though it is not likely to be useful in a MMO with such popularity as Path of Exile.

Map quality for Chisel's is needed for consistency purposes and same goes for gems. There is no reason to change it since player to player trade is a completely different dimension and the recipes will always only be minimum prices. Same goes for the 6L recipe though I have always wondered why it didn't reward with ~30 Orbs of Fusing instead of Divine Orb?

The Orb of Augmentation has always seemed valued far too high by recipes. A 6 mod item worth an Alteration Orb would seem to be rubbed by it giving Orb of Augmentation, but oh well. The reward from 1 normal, 1 magic and 1 rare of same base type is a sign of this high valuation. If they want players to value them higher, lower their droprate, let transmutations and alterations hit a 2 mod item far less often than now and change the cost to buy from vendor.

The "set of items" recipes and the 2 or 3 rares with same rare name were being abused and the reward of especially chaos orbs from lower level items was a bit too much of a farm-magnet. I agree that a change was needed, but the way to change a recipe is always debatable.

The hybrid flask was a good idea when they came up with it since it makes sense that fusing health and mana would give a hybrid flask, but I agree that it is almost completely worthless as the game works today. The vendor-pricing might be the single biggest issue for this recipe. I think it is a mistake with what the vendor sell since I think the recipe is good.

Iron ring + skillgem is amazing at low levels, but as with all jewelry, there is a complete lack of scaling in types after about level 20 at which point itemlevel is the only thing that really matters.
I appear to be living in "Romance Standard Time". That has to be good! :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info