3.7.4 Deployment Downtime Incident Report

"
HainKurt wrote:
I just remembered how Blizzard handled the gem duplication fiasco...
they hided all information and tried to handle it by checking logs...
they refused to roll back database!
tried to revert back/cancel all transactions manually one by one...
result? They closed auction house, and Diablo III is just RIP :)

Yeah poor D3 30+ million in sales and more twitch viewers than PoE when Seasons come out.

Lol it's a multi-billion dollar franchise. Even newer arpgs are ripping straight from D3. I know the PoE forums are not exactly a haven for Blizzard love, but let's at least be real lol
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
HainKurt wrote:

Yeah poor D3 30+ million in sales and more twitch viewers than PoE when Seasons come out.

Lol it's a multi-billion dollar franchise. Even newer arpgs are ripping straight from D3. I know the PoE forums are not exactly a haven for Blizzard love, but let's at least be real lol

Yeah but none of this (sales/views/size of the company) is any excuse for their way of handling things. I speak as someone who got thousands of hours in D3, as a dude with direct impact on several PTR patches (I was exchanging thoughts on mechanics and design with John Yang earlier before he was transferred to WoW, than more recently with Don Vu) and very well known member of community out there. Blizzard doesn’t handle any sort of fails well. Frality and Mark of death exploit? They didn’t have balls to respond properly or rollback accounts. “Immoral” fiasco during blizzcon? Not banning 10’s of thousands of botting accounts just to keep some MAU numbers despite whole community crying about them? The “We hear you” thread that have 6000 player comments and 2 blue comments from community manager? The more recent “we will give you all free stash, wait we will gate it behind season, wait just one tab cuz our potato servers cannot take more” fail and horrible handling of discussion? These things are just from the top of my head, there is way, way more to it and the bigger the company is the more insulting the way they handle these things is.

I started to play PoE with Betrayal launch and never looked back, the transparency of GGG is one of many factors that I personally think is winning the players over in a long run. And I don’t mind purchasing support packs, and spending money on regular basis, because firstly I enjoy the game very much and secondly I can appreciate their communication efforts. Blizzard failed on monetizing Diablo, they could’ve make everyone happy with some cosmetics/stash/char slots that would fuel more consistent content.

Way to go GGG.
Persistence makes impossible possible, possible likely and likely definite. Yep, Mirror will drop eventually -_-
Last edited by N4rk0tyk on Jul 25, 2019, 3:45:22 PM
Thanks for the transparency. Much appreciated !!
"
N4rk0tyk wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
HainKurt wrote:

Yeah but none of this (sales/views/size of the company) is any excuse for their way of handling things. I speak as someone who got thousands of hours in D3, as a dude with direct impact on several PTR patches (I was exchanging thoughts on mechanics and design with John Yang earlier before he was transferred to WoW, than more recently with Don Vu) and very well known member of community out there. Blizzard doesn’t handle any sort of fails well. Frality and Mark of death exploit? They didn’t have balls to respond properly or rollback accounts. “Immoral” fiasco during blizzcon? Not banning 10’s of thousands of botting accounts just to keep some MAU numbers despite whole community crying about them? The “We hear you” thread that have 6000 player comments and 2 blue comments from community manager? The more recent “we will give you all free stash, wait we will gate it behind season, wait just one tab cuz our potato servers cannot take more” fail and horrible handling of discussion? These things are just from the top of my head, there is way, way more to it and the bigger the company is the more insulting the way they handle these things is.

I started to play PoE with Betrayal launch and never looked back, the transparency of GGG is one of many factors that I personally think is winning the players over in a long run. And I don’t mind purchasing support packs, and spending money on regular basis, because firstly I enjoy the game very much and secondly I can appreciate their communication efforts. Blizzard failed on monetizing Diablo, they could’ve make everyone happy with some cosmetics/stash/char slots that would fuel more consistent content.

Way to go GGG.

1st thing, there is no way in hell D3 failed in monetization buy any measure, for anyone of any sense.

2nd, I'm not really sure praising GGG monetization of loot boxes is going to be on the right side of history. EA's defense of "surprise mechanics" was laughably bad, but GGG loot mtx are literally called "mystery boxes"

EA would have been killed for calling them that, yet GGG (Tencent) slides? How?

So maybe slow down on "Way to go GGG"
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Things happen. The problem was fixed. I can't say enough about GGG customer relations. This type of post is exactly what the gamer base is looking for.. And you deliver time and time again.. I'll be supporting GGG every step along the way. Keep doing what you're doing.. And know we all appreciate everything you guys do!!
This ladies and gentleman is why GGG are so far ahead of other developers.

Thanks for the transparency.
Merci de vos explications. Vous respectez les joueurs. Si seulement nos hommes politiques pouvaient en faire autant avec nous ...

Merci.
cool story guys thanks for sharing
IGN:skydog
Your responsive approach is quite appreciated by anyone who has performed a database update or migration. Next time don't be concerned about our feelings, just continue to work on making a great game. I hope your management understands what has occurred and well you have handled what could have been a costly situation for GGG.
Well done! it felt rather quick considering the size of the problem!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info